Crank No Start - OBD2 - unable to establish a link with the vehicle - intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Wilfong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.9l. Has had a reoccurring issue of motor cutting out during operation. When this occurs the stereo stays on and you no longer can accelerate. You lose power steering and power brakes. When I then go to plug in the OBD2 reader, I receive "unable to establish a link with the vehicle". When this occurs the only visual reference I have that I will not be able to establish the link is that the power and gas gauges do not engage when I turn key to koeo. I have tested the resistance between pins 2 and 5 on the obd plugin and when the 2 gauges are not responding I am getting sporadic 1 to 3. Randomly I will flip the key without touching or unplugging any sensors, relays, or fuses and the 2 gauges will work, I will be able to make the connection and check for codes (no codes have occurred since this happened last weekend) and test between pins 2 and 5 and get 5 to 8. When this occurs, I can turn over the motor successfully and everything runs for about 2 to 3 minutes then the truck cuts out and appears to keep all power on just lost of motor. I have tested power to all fuses with key off, koeo, and koer, and based on the wiring schematic details, all fuses are working at their appropriate times. I have checked the relays and their live and they are all receiving power. I am feeling there is an electrical issue but am at a lost as to what to look at now. Any suggestions or additional troubleshooting steps you recommend would be greatly appreciated!

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.9l. Has had a reoccurring issue of motor cutting out during operation. When this occurs the stereo stays on and you no longer can accelerate. You lose power steering and power brakes. When I then go to plug in the OBD2 reader, I receive "unable to establish a link with the vehicle". When this occurs the only visual reference I have that I will not be able to establish the link is that the power and gas gauges do not engage when I turn key to koeo. I have tested the resistance between pins 2 and 5 on the obd plugin and when the 2 gauges are not responding I am getting sporadic 1 to 3. Randomly I will flip the key without touching or unplugging any sensors, relays, or fuses and the 2 gauges will work, I will be able to make the connection and check for codes (no codes have occurred since this happened last weekend) and test between pins 2 and 5 and get 5 to 8. When this occurs, I can turn over the motor successfully and everything runs for about 2 to 3 minutes then the truck cuts out and appears to keep all power on just lost of motor. I have tested power to all fuses with key off, koeo, and koer, and based on the wiring schematic details, all fuses are working at their appropriate times. I have checked the relays and their live and they are all receiving power. I am feeling there is an electrical issue but am at a lost as to what to look at now. Any suggestions or additional troubleshooting steps you recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel

if you have both chip keys... ( & this is a shot in the dark but something to eliminate ) try the other key, sometimes the chip in the key is cracked &/or faulty & will cause similar engine cut out symptoms . Also ignition switch can have issues with too much weight swinging from keychain . Just a thought .

OP
OP
J

James Wilfong

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. It turned out the ECM was failing. New ECM programmed to the vin and it was back up and running. Thanks again