crappy 4th gen key fobs!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brianj53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
When I bought my truck, I asked the salesman about the factory remote start and he said don’t do it, as did the Ford salesman for the F-150 I was also looking at, so I went aftermarket. The Ram fob’s work 99% of the time, but two or three times nothing happened and I had to use the key in the fob to unlock the door.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine works great I set my panic off all the time at work. Most the time I am 100ft away with a 12in concrete wall in the way. Just don't run it through the washing machine and it's all good.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
As long as we're posting mixed results...

My '14 Laramie with remote start has better range than any remote-system I've ever owned.
I guess I'm lucky and got a good one? I can start the truck from anywhere in the house.
Additionally, I almost always park as far away as possible in retail parking lots to avoid door
dings (yes, Walmart too). I have always been able to stand at the front doors and watch
my lights flash as my truck starts from what must easily be several hundred feet away.

Better yet, the batteries have been in this fob for 1.5 years and this truck is my daily driver.
I have to remind myself to regularly start the truck when I'm close-by so I can listen to it to
make sure everything sounds normal and OK, most especially during some of the frigid temps
we've been seeing lately.

Bought it used in July 2017 with 30k miles, today at 47.5k... so far so good (knocks on wood)

Just don't talk to me about that damned fuel tank sending unit!