Crate motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buying a crate motor soon. What are some reputable companies to look into. Only ones I've heard of are jasper and s and j engine.

I've heard horror stories about jasper and don't want to pull a new motor after it's in.

Also not sure what I'm getting myself into. The only thing I've swapped a motor on is a 1970 beetle and it wa only held on by 4 bolts.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To add. I've just replaced heads, intake manifold, water pump, oil pump, rockers and arms. Would a short block or a long block be better.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To add. I've just replaced heads, intake manifold, water pump, oil pump, rockers and arms. Would a short block or a long block be better.
What happened to the motor? This will help us better help you.

OP
OP
M

malsup83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
207,000 miles. Excessive blow by. Outside of airbox and air filter are covered in oil. Oil pressure drops to mid 20's. And lots of white smoke coming from oil filler at idle. Checked that the other day.

I would rebuild but would like the warranty of a new motor.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
207,000 miles. Excessive blow by. Outside of airbox and air filter are covered in oil. Oil pressure drops to mid 20's. And lots of white smoke coming from oil filler at idle. Checked that the other day.

I would rebuild but would like the warranty of a new motor.
If your top end is new,i'd spring for a short block,and just put your new heads/water pump etc. on it. Most short block kits come with the majority of gaskets you'll need,but might not come with new head bolts,you'll want to double check whether the assembly comes with them.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your top end is new,i'd spring for a short block,and just put your new heads/water pump etc. on it. Most short block kits come with the majority of gaskets you'll need,but might not come with new head bolts,you'll want to double check whether the assembly comes with them.
Ditto here after hearing the back story.