Crazy distortion with new speakers. Will an amp solve this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have a non-alpine 8.4 setup and just installed four Kicker 46CSC6934 in the doors and two Kicker 46CSC354 with 4ohm resistors in the dash. Speakers are running off the 8.4 for now.

My amps and subs are supposed to be delivered tomorrow so I will be swapping these over to a Kicker 44KXA400.4 this weekend hopefully.

I am concerned that the distortion will remain though. If I crank the stereo up to about 22-25 the speakers sound like complete garbage.

Also, do speakers need time to break in like subs do?

So far these speakers are a huge improvement over stock but I was hoping I could get some move volume out of them.[/QUJ

Just a thought....don't turn it up to 22-25. LOL, problem solved.

scottnotseanpenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My door speakers sound awesome now that I have been listening to them for a while. But I still can't turn them up as loud as I want.

I wanted all of the pieces of the system to be the same brand and to match as much as possible. I have no doubt there is better stuff out there but at this point I am already a couple thousand dollars into this setup. Added up quicker than I thought it would haha. I am hoping this setup will hold me off until I upgrade at some point down the line. I seriously considered JL too but the KXA amps did it for me. The bluetooth adjustment is really cool.

I am hoping to get a chance to install everything during the week or this next weekend.

scottnotseanpenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My door speakers sound awesome now that I have been listening to them for a while. But I still can't turn them up as loud as I want.

I wanted all of the pieces of the system to be the same brand and to match as much as possible. I have no doubt there is better stuff out there but at this point I am already a couple thousand dollars into this setup. Added up quicker than I thought it would haha. I am hoping this setup will hold me off until I upgrade at some point down the line. I seriously considered JL too but the KXA amps did it for me. The bluetooth adjustment is really cool.

I am hoping to get a chance to install everything during the week or this next weekend.

With regard to your comment about not being able to increase the volume higher without distortion. That’s 100% on your amp. The cleaner the amp, the cleaner the sound. Your components with go as loud as they can without distortion, then they’ll blow. As long as your amp is clean.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With regard to your comment about not being able to increase the volume higher without distortion. That’s 100% on your amp. The cleaner the amp, the cleaner the sound. Your components with go as loud as they can without distortion, then they’ll blow. As long as your amp is clean.

The distortion was just with the stock stereo pushing the speakers. I have three Kicker amps installed in the truck now. No distortion at all and the stereo freaking rocks!

scottnotseanpenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The distortion was just with the stock stereo pushing the speakers. I have three Kicker amps installed in the truck now. No distortion at all and the stereo freaking rocks!

You used a sound processor, correct? I’ve read good things about the PAC processor. I’m considering the Audiocontrol DM810 as well. I’ve had great luck with the Alpine PDX V9 amp.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You used a sound processor, correct? I’ve read good things about the PAC processor. I’m considering the Audiocontrol DM810 as well. I’ve had great luck with the Alpine PDX V9 amp.

I am running an Lc7i and a kicker KEY as a dsp and they KEY is running the dash speakers as well. I should have gone PAC I think. Especially since I am not driving any speakers off the stock 8.4 now. I have also been thinking about going to a dedicated dsp as there is not much eq adjustment in my system currently. But compared to factory this setup rips so I am in no rush.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Anyways, break in or not, last piece of the puzzle arrived today.

I have a long and very hot weekend ahead of me.

This is my first kicker setup and these are less power than I wanted but I hope this setup rocks the house!

View attachment 177505
CompVRs, you will love them. I had a 12" dual 4 wired to 2 ohms being run by a single ZX300.1. Loved that setup. It was in my 2nd gen in a JL Audio Stealth Box. Not overpowering, but could still rattle the sheet metal when you wanted to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk