Crazy gages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
07 3500 cummins 5.9 . Just 81000 miles on it. Battery & fuel gage went crazy. Were do i look first ? I am a 35 year heavy mechanic and hate electric trouble. Any help will be some kinda great.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like an electrical issue. Start with the easy stuff:

1. Load test your battery.
2. Check your grounds.
3. Inspect battery cable connections at all 4 ends.
4. Check battery cables for corrosion at the connections and under the sheathing next to the connections.

OP
OP
M

Mike ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
When it first happen a week ago. I put in 2 new batteries and cut and made all new leads. And clean all small contacts. And pulled all fuses and clean the contacts. Some one said the dash circuit board ? But they still move with key on key off. They just peging out. I take all ideas. Thanks in advance

CharlesinGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins 305 hp HO
I'm not sure but I think there is a small cable that is molded as part of the positive clamp on the LH battery, that goes to a connection on the IB side of the fuse panel. This supplies the fuse panel. You say you replaced the cables, could you have cut and spliced this one, or missed it, or poorly connected? Dunno, but you need to back up thru what you did and verify everything you touched. Are you saying it happened and THEN you replaced the cables?

Charles

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
A gauge that pegs itself is caused because it has lost ground, and a gauge that won't come off zero is caused by loss of power to said gauge. I am unsure how the gauges are grounded, but you may be able to run a grounding wire to them.

OP
OP
M

Mike ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes it happen and then i replaceed the 2 batteries and all new grounds and postive cables. And cleaned all the small ones and put new heavy duty crimps on them. I got the truck new and it only has 80000 on it. I been a mechanic for 35 years. I am stump on this and looking for help . Just dont wanted change out all kind of stuff to find it.

OP
OP
M

Mike ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Also the tack is stay on 3 with key on motor off. I have checked all grounds and cleaned or replaces them. Any ideas ? Anyone .

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Load test your alternator. Maybe the regulator is on its way out, that can cause crazy electrical issues

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Hey yall, so I know this is an old thread, but I got in the truck to come home today (07 3500 5.9) and my fuel gage is... well... see pic lol. So could this also be a bad ground? Or is this a gage or sender issue... 1st time its happened is today...20220310_164625.jpg

This is with the power off... 20220310_173342.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys

Matt

usmilret

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dash cluster is notorious for bad "cold" welds during the manufacturing process at the factory and I know that it affected the RPM gauge. This same thing probably could apply to your fuel gauge. It might help you if you remove the dash cluster and retouch all of the cold welds with a soldering iron. I did it and now my RPM gauge is functioning again. There are multi videos on Youtube showing how to do it. Also there is a shimming process on the back side. It didn't take me long to remove the dash, resolder the old solder connections, shim one corner portion on the backside. I was done in a matter of a couple of hours. When you touch up the solder joints just don't hold the soldering iron too long on each little joint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam