Cruise Control periodically won't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC9696

Reaction score
So. OC-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
Ram Year
Engine
ED
My 2014 Ram 1500 ED will lose cruise control from time to time, then it comes back. Been this way for years but this last time I noticed the truck wasn't shifting as smoothly as normal and the green light that shows optimum fuel mileage ceased working too. Then it came back 100% after two weeks being pooched. Seen this before? I put a brand new engine in it this year and the tranny was replaced 3 yrs ago.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The CC switch on the steering wheel is known to cause that. Sometimes you have to replace the switch but other times just disconnecting the connector from it & reconnecting fixes it. Connector pins oxidize.

OP
OP
BC9696

BC9696

Reaction score
So. OC-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
Ram Year
Engine
ED
NOPE...that's not it. Full functionality returned after two weeks and it's operating fine again. This continues to occur, has for years. Usually goes out right before I have multi-state trips to take.

frakchered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought my truck little over a week ago, 2017 1500 Laramie. I noticed mine I have to push the on button a few times. I will be looking into replacing it, may try the unplug method and shoot some silicone grease in it to keep from oxidizing.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it do it before you had the cruise control recall flash done - if it was done?

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my CC switch replaced under warranty at about 9700 miles, and today at about 47K miles it just went AWOL again. I pulled to the side of the road, turned off the truck, and restarted the truck, but CC still did not switch on. I got to my meeting, and after sitting two-and-a-half hours it worked.

Has anyone taken one of these switches apart? Is it the switch internals, or the connector and pins ? This is frustrating to fix the same thing more than once . . . .

Do I really have to remove the steering wheel and clock spring to replace the switch - or is there a trick to avoid that ??

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The CC switch in my grandfather's 2018 does that occasionally. The temporary fix is to give the back of the wheel a good smack a couple times behind the CC switch, and it will work again.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
The CC switch in my grandfather's 2018 does that occasionally. The temporary fix is to give the back of the wheel a good smack a couple ties behind the CC switch, and it will work again.
YES about once a month, I have to give it a friendly wake tap, up not a lot of force.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 acts up once in a blue moon. Only fix is to give the steering wheel a good smack behind the CC buttons. Works every time. I’ve noticed that it seems to only act up if there is a long period of no use. Either the truck sitting or a lot of stop and go.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 did this and if you look behind your brake pedal there is a sensor switch and the bracket sometimes gets bent. Try either replacing switch or bend the bracket back a little.