Cruise control/Traction Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Fox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello, I’ve never used a forum before but there is so much information on here it’s amazing. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn. I have never had any issues, however my AC evaporator core went out. I had it fixed last weekend. 1200.00 as they had to remove the entire dash. I received my truck back and the AC is the coldest it’s ever been, but upon receiving the truck back, the traction control light is on and will not shut off. Also, I can turn the cruise control on and off but it will not set a speed. I thought maybe it was the brake light switch but changing that had absolutely no effect. I have been googling all day and keep seeing things about vacuum lines etc. but it appears this 4th gen Cummins Ram is all electronic? I could really use some advice. The mechanic that fixed the AC is going to look at it tomorrow but doesn’t know what has caused this. Again so I am not misunderstood, the cruise control will turn on and off but will not allow me to set a speed. Also the traction control light is on. Please please help! I drive 60 miles a day for work and not having cruise is murder on my legs

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
They probably had to pull the dash to replace the evap, possibly a plug isn't fully seated

OP
OP
J

Joshua Fox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes they did have to pull it! What a mess I’ve never seen anything like it. I was thinking along those lines also but I don’t know which plug to try. Would it be under the drivers side or behind the center console touch screen? If I just knew which one it was I would attempt to unplug it and plug it back in

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Liter Cummins
OP
OP
J

Joshua Fox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Please let me know what you find out after you take yours to the shop. My mechanic has been messing with mine all day and can’t figure it out. I can’t afford to go to the dealer right now

netzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Joshua, did you ever figure out the issue? I just had my evaporator core changed out at Firestone and when I received my truck back with the same issues as yours, the cruise will toggle on/off but won’t set speed and the traction control light stays on. In addition, the remote start will honk the horn (normal) but won’t start the truck. In a brief search it seems like all of this is possible related to cam speed sensor, but I’m thinking it’s a wire harness issue.

netzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Joshua, did you ever figure out the issue? I just had my evaporator core changed out at Firestone and when I received my truck back with the same issues as yours, the cruise will toggle on/off but won’t set speed and the traction control light stays on. In addition, the remote start will honk the horn (normal) but won’t start the truck. In a brief search it seems like all of this is possible related to cam speed sensor, but I’m thinking it’s a wire harness issue.
So this morning I decided to inspect the wiring under the dash on my 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn. I discovered the stoplight switch was broken. I contacted Firestone and they agreed to reimburse me so I purchased and installed a new stoplight switch and this solved my issue.