Cruise Control will turn ON but will not "set" to hold the speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merlin Broaddus

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
2000 1500 5.9L gas, auto trans, 4x4. This is a new to me truck. My Cruise Control will turn ON but will not "set" to hold the speed. I have checked for other threads, but none with this issue. Any and all help will be appreciated. THANKS

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Welcome , This will sound strange but check your third brake light bulbs . and brake lights Make sure they ALL work. It will affect the Cruise Control on some cars !
A cheap fast check and maybe a cheap repair lol,
I have read that in the car forum I go to and just did a google search about it, So worth a shot and PLEASE update us if that was it or what you did to fix it!

Thanks

Tom Whitehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
24valve Cummins Diesel
My cruise control would turn on, but then it would creep up gradually. If I wasn't careful, I would be doing well over the speed limit. What I did was: I took the connections loose to the PCU, and sprayed them liberally with CRC contact cleaner. I pushed the connector on and off at least half a dozen times, and wiggled it as well. Now it works – at least most of the time. How these newer vehicles, that's almost always the first thing I could do. And also the cheapest. Best wishes, Tom

4x4Podcast_Rich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Happened to me once. Cruise was working fine, cancelled it when I slowed down then it wouldn’t reset for the rest of the trip. The next time I got in the truck it was fine. If it’s still not working for you,disconnect your battery for about ten minutes to reset the computer and all should be good.

OP
OP
M

Merlin Broaddus

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Welcome , This will sound strange but check your third brake light bulbs . and brake lights Make sure they ALL work. It will affect the Cruise Control on some cars !
A cheap fast check and maybe a cheap repair lol,
I have read that in the car forum I go to and just did a google search about it, So worth a shot and PLEASE update us if that was it or what you did to fix it!

Thanks
Checked and the third brake light is working. Thanks, it was worth a check!!!