Cruise control won't work sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I left for a trip last week and get on the expressway, no cruise. I tried to get it to work for 15 minutes no luck. It wouldn't even give the message on the dash that it was turning on. Stopped about 2 hours later, get back in and try it and it worked fine for the next 4 hours. On the way home same thing, not working. After several attempts I got it to work and it worked for the rest of the ride home. I have put 90% of my 15,000 miles on this truck on the highway because it is not a daily driver, sits inside on concrete in a heated barn when not on a trip, never driven in salt so corrosion shouldn't be an issue. That being said I am a big fan of cruise control and use it whenever the situation allows so operator failure can be ruled out I know how to use it. I'm just wondering if anyone has had problems with the cruise because when I take it to the dealer it will be "We couldn't get it to do it, bring it back when it doesn't work at all". I don't want to be on my way to Florida when it fails for good. Any ideas?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've seen that some people have had trouble with the buttons on the steering wheel not working all the time and the dealership had to replace them under warranty.... might be the buttons and not the cruise control???

OP
OP
averageguy

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That could be since it wouldn't turn on at all and then worked fine. A problem at the steering wheel controls that loses connection. Thanks, I'll search that.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
mine shows a green light on the steering wheel button, but, nothing on the dash and it doesn't engage at all.

did anyone figure out the issue?

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine was having problems and would only activate when I really kept pushing the button hard. Some days it would work perfect other times you had to just keep pushing the button. Had the switch replaced under warranty and it works perfect now. I would bet it is the switch.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Similar problem here. Once the system is active I have no issues but I often have to push two buttons at once to get it to activate. Thinking it’s an issue with the button module itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
which 2 buttons? i can try it assuming one is the on button correct?

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a also a recall regarding the cruise control. It has something to do with the software. Dealer can update it and get it fixed. They did mine the last time I was in for an oil change. Had it done to the wife's Durango, also.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
which 2 buttons? i can try it assuming one is the on button correct?

Random combination honestly. I just start mashing them till it kicks on. It’s pretty annoying. Never had this issue till I had a recall done a couple months ago if I recall correctly. I might call the dealer about it when I have time.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
just looked up recalls and there were none for cruise control or related. I replaced my vacuum lines today that were suspect. I'll see if that fixed anything.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
must not be for my year. what year truck do you have? can you still find the recall notice?

I look on ntsha website

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
must not be for my year. what year truck do you have? can you still find the recall notice?

I look on ntsha website

To be honest, I don't remember. Or truck is a 2014, and the Durango is a 2013. They both had the recall for the cruise.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
ok I have a 96. but it should have a recall on the cruise too