cruse control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The cruse control on my 2016 Ram 1500 wont turn on. Was working off and on, but now wont work at all. Is it a soft ware or a hardware problem?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The cruse control on my 2016 Ram 1500 wont turn on. Was working off and on, but now wont work at all. Is it a soft ware or a hardware problem?
Not sure but I lean towards software. Try holding the + and - buttons down simultaneously for 5 seconds. That always worked for me. Mine quit having this problem and I'm not sure if a dealer flash was the fix...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tough to say. My last Ram had a problem where if I hit the resume button the cruise would no longer work until I turned off the truck and restarted. Does your cruise indicator light come on?

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the abs light on?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If memory serves there was a cruise control related recall a few years back. May need to call the dealer and see if yours got done.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you were having intermittent problems before with no warnings like ABS ect on the dash and now it won't work at all it is most likely the switch itself. It's a common problem with these trucks. If you have the Alfa OBD you can check for DTC codes just to make sure it's not related to something else. You can buy a new switch for $40 or $50 from Benny @AllMoparParts.com who is in the vendor sectionof the forum. I would recommend pulling the Air Bag to access the steering wheel harness to make sure there is no damage and then possibly replace the switch. Another possibility is the Clockspring but I would lean towards the switch. If you decide to fix it yourself make sure you disconnect the battery at least 15 min before you pull the airbag. There are 3 clips that hold it on the steering wheel and there are several videos on YouTube showing how to remove it. It can be a little tricky the first time you do it but it's not to bad once you figure out how to pop it off.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Holding the + and _ button down worked. Thank you very much.
No problem! I had to do that for about a year before it started working every time...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to try the + and - buttons as my 2106 Ram will not always turn on the cruise. I sometimes have to push the cruise on-button 8-10 times before the cruise will turn on.

FLTOPCAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This happens occasionally on my 2015 Laramie. It appears to be related to the switch connection. When it happens I just give the entire switch cluster a firm bump with the palm of my hand and I'm back in business!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My steering wheel mounted A/C on/off switch seems to not work when the inside of the cab gets hot. (Such as, sitting in the sun on a hot day), but it always works on a cool day. I'll bet the copper contacts inside the switch have tarnished, just like the ones on the key fob do. I will have to look for videos on how to switch out the switch or try the +/- thing!

Thomas Haslam

Reaction score
Ram Year
17 crew cab
Engine
My 2017 Big horn does the same thing I have to hit the back of the steering wheel by the switch and it works

edhackem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this happens on my 2016 Big Horn. I pull the fuse--reinsert and it works ok . I'll have to try the +_ thing and see if that works.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer needs to pull codes. If you have a trans code or engine code the speed control won’t work. Even if it flashes and goes away...

Captain Bart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 HEMI
Have had this issue before. I simply give the spoke a good slap with my fingertips; push the cruise on again, and viola, it works. Looose connection inside that is easily lived with as it is beyond intermittent. By the eay, I asked the same question over a year ago. Someone else told me to do this.......

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
If you were having intermittent problems before with no warnings like ABS ect on the dash and now it won't work at all it is most likely the switch itself. It's a common problem with these trucks. If you have the Alfa OBD you can check for DTC codes just to make sure it's not related to something else. You can buy a new switch for $40 or $50 from Benny @AllMoparParts.com who is in the vendor sectionof the forum. I would recommend pulling the Air Bag to access the steering wheel harness to make sure there is no damage and then possibly replace the switch. Another possibility is the Clockspring but I would lean towards the switch. If you decide to fix it yourself make sure you disconnect the battery at least 15 min before you pull the airbag. There are 3 clips that hold it on the steering wheel and there are several videos on YouTube showing how to remove it. It can be a little tricky the first time you do it but it's not to bad once you figure out how to pop it off.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
HI, so Im wondering what happens if you do not disonnect the battery 15 min prior to disconnecting the ABS. was this just a risk of inadvertent deployment (safety) or does it have the potential to F - up the Occupant Restraint Control Module. SO I was that idiot that did the R & R with the battery live ( i just pulle dthe fuse holder for the 2 ABS fuses). no deployment, but with the new SCCM ( I get an error code that says lost communication with the ORC and the ABS for that matter (codes U041500 implausable data from ABS, and U012500 lost comms with dynamic sensor)even though all the steering controls now work. Clearing codes with scan tool does not work ,no blown fuses... ?? Disconnect battery and short terminals together and wait??

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HI, so Im wondering what happens if you do not disonnect the battery 15 min prior to disconnecting the ABS. was this just a risk of inadvertent deployment (safety) or does it have the potential to F - up the Occupant Restraint Control Module. SO I was that idiot that did the R & R with the battery live ( i just pulle dthe fuse holder for the 2 ABS fuses). no deployment, but with the new SCCM ( I get an error code that says lost communication with the ORC and the ABS for that matter (codes U041500 implausable data from ABS, and U012500 lost comms with dynamic sensor)even though all the steering controls now work. Clearing codes with scan tool does not work ,no blown fuses... ?? Disconnect battery and short terminals together and wait??
I’m not following your question. When you write ABS are you talking about the anti lock brakes or is that an abbreviation for airbags? Are your codes for the occupant restraint system, airbags or are they Antilock brake system codes? I’d disconnect the battery for a few minutes and ground them out like you suggest and see if that clears everything. If you have AlfaOBD you can access the system via the software. These trucks are slow to register changes so after you disconnect the battery try driving it around for a few minutes. I’ve done TPMS system work on mine and it took 10 miles of driving before it registered.

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
oops I meant the Air Bag and the ORC fuses, the AIR BAG (the ganged fuses in the fuse box is for the Air Bags), I think it also controls power to the seat belt. I replaced the clockspring with one from the salvage yard. I have driven over 25 miles with a few power cycles. wondering if the PCM need a Battery disconnect cycle to look for new SCCM hardware serial number, (thought I doubt the CAN address is serialnumber specific). I have cleared the codes with a scan tool, but there are now about 7 errors in the ABS module now all related to airbag stuff including U012500, lost comms with dynamics sensor (which I think is the culprit) I have disconnected the battery and have the + / - shorted together, will go reconnect and see if that helped. During that 25 mile drive I did a LIVE test of the wheel speed sensors and teh active testof the Steering wheel controls andthey all worked fine.