CUMMINGS CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION REGARDING PENDING EMISSIONS RECALL - 2022 Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all;

I just joined this forum as I need some advice on the possible purchase of a 2022 3500 dualy with the HO engine. When I inquired about ordering one and was given a quote, the dealer also included the notice below that they claim was put out since May of 2021.

My questions are
1) has anyone else seen this notice ?
2) What is the sensor being referred to here i.e. is there a part number and the function of the sensor in the exhaust system ?.
3) Are there any performance or operations restrictions such as towing that applies while this sensor is not installed ?.
4) Any one know of how long it took to get a replacement sensor installed on their truck after purchase ?

Dealer did not know any of these answers but was eager to take the deposit. I am wondering if it is better to wait than order a truck that may not have a critical sensor and live with the yet unknown restrictions / limitation it imposes.

Notice below (letter PDF attached)

REQUIRED CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION REGARDING PENDING EMISSIONS RECALL
Dear Ram Truck Owners—You may be aware that the world’s economy is suffering from a global shortage of computer chips, and that it has had a significant impact on the automobile industry. All automakers are affected. There have been production delays and decisions to produce vehicles without certain intended design features.

While your 6.7L Heavy Duty Ram truck retains all of its performance capabilities, it does not contain a small but important sensor that monitors the engine’s exhaust particulate filter.
This temporary condition does not pose any risk to vehicle safety. Further, the vehicle’s pollution-control technology remains active.

Although this emissions-monitoring feature is required by regulations, the certifying environmental government agencies have allowed us to sell you your vehicle pending an emissions recall, once the proper sensor becomes available.
You will not be charged for recall service, which will also update software that supports operation of the sensor.

It is very important that you schedule your vehicle for service as soon as you receive our recall notice. Recall completion is especially critical because additional service to the engine-control module, should it ever become necessary, will not be feasible without the particulate filter sensor installation/software update.

The state of California also requires all open recalls to be addressed before a vehicle’s next registration, provided corresponding service is available. It is illegal to drive your vehicle with an expired registration.

Be assured you are a valued Ram customer and we greatly appreciate your understanding and cooperation during these unusual circumstances. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Attachments

• Cummins Pending Recall Customer Communication.pdf
    272.3 KB · Views: 19

TexasRam1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered a truck and was given the same notice

I am also curious about which sensor is missing.

Attachments

• 7BEDB665-118B-4E1A-9D69-9CAE944AB12B.png
    7BEDB665-118B-4E1A-9D69-9CAE944AB12B.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 19

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
"sensor that monitors the engine’s exhaust particulate filter"

I don't see this as anything that would stop me from ordering or taking delivery. Looks like a sensor shortage and they mitigated the issue by obtaining permission to deliver the vehicles and then updating them once the sensor becomes available.

Why would this be a concern? The notice seems to fully explain the cause and effect.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
EPA wouldn't allow a truck on the road that won't regen.
My guess is the truck will Regen properly and the sensor might be the one that gives the EVIC DPF gauge its info. IMO, that gauge is worthless.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like teh QLS sensor on the International 3 tons we have at work. We have to take each truck to International after it screws up (they won't touch them until) and let them "program out" the feedback for the sensor until they get stock. and that can't/won't (not sure which) order any extras. they are telling us they are only allowed to order on a 1-for-1 basis PER TRUCK, that they have a case file for.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Since it is "a small but important sensor that monitors the engine’s exhaust particulate filter" I would order the truck. It is just a monitor for emission and has no control over emissions and as long as you put the emissions particulate fluid in when it is called for (you have to do it anyway when its needed) you'll will be fine emissions wise. I would just have the senser installed when I schedule an oil change. The new trucks are to nice to SETTLE for a lot pick if you don't have to.

OP
OP
J

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am the one that posted this question. I also posted it in the cummins forum and the consensus there appears to be a possible negative impact to the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system in the long term. No emissions or performance impact but the longer the vehicle is driven without it, there is more DEF pumped in than necessary possibly causing ammonia poisoning of the SCR.

I ended up buying a new 2022 5500 off the lot (built in Dec 21) as it had the sensor in it and I needed a GVWR of 18k. Vehicles delivered later in 2022 may not have this sensor from factory, so RAM is doing a good job pre warning customers about it but not letting customers know the long term implicaitons (beyond 100K miles) to the vehicle as it will be out of warranty.

My recommendation is to buy one off the lot with the sensor installed from factory rather than ordering a known incomplete one due to exhaust system long term life concerns.

Alvin York

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L H.O
EPA wouldn't allow a truck on the road that won't regen.
My guess is the truck will Regen properly and the sensor might be the one that gives the EVIC DPF gauge its info. IMO, that gauge is worthless.
John Jensen is correct. I recently noticed on my 2022 Cummins H.O. that after a 3,000 mile mile trip towing an 8 000 pound travel trailer, my EVIC DPF gauge shows no DPF buildup. Shows as clean as the day I picked up the truck in December. The dealer also failed to mention the missing sensor.

mountainlion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l I6
Will this recall letter be available on the Mopar web site?
Have a 2022 SO 3500 and the DPF gauge have never moved. Neither have I seen a regen message @ 2000 miles.

Ozzy124

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins SO
I have the same issue on my 22 3500 SO. I left the instrument cluster in the DPF display and it did finally show a regen but only if I left it in the DPF screen.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My recommendation is to buy one off the lot with the sensor installed from factory rather than ordering a known incomplete one due to exhaust system long term life concerns.
How would we be able to tell if it has the sensor? Where would we look and what are we looking for?