Cummins HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Crap... I grazed a key on my computer & hit the "I" instead of "U". I would edit it but it will not let me edit the title. :mad: I currently do not own a diesel but may in the near future. I was wanting to know what all the differences are in the base line Cummins compared to the High Output. Is it mostly just tuning or are things like the turbo, fuel rail, valve size all different?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They use a different block material and a few new internal parts (19-20 HO) to handle the extra HP but everything else is basically the same and the tuning is changed to get the extra HP. HO will also come with the Aisin transmission. It is only available in the 3500 as well.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The difference from the older HO to SO was basically tuning, but on the '19+ the HO has lower compression ratio, different turbo(I think), runs more boost, different injectors(I think), and other things. Biggest difference I can ever recall between the two. AFAIK, ALL the new Cummins are running the CGI block. There is also more of an MPG difference between the SO and HO than before, IMHO.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
The difference from the older HO to SO was basically tuning, but on the '19+ the HO has lower compression ratio, different turbo(I think), runs more boost, different injectors(I think), and other things. Biggest difference I can ever recall between the two. AFAIK, ALL the new Cummins are running the CGI block. There is also more of an MPG difference between the SO and HO than before, IMHO.

I see you have one. I bet it can yank some weight down the road!

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Crap... I grazed a key on my computer & hit the "I" instead of "U". I would edit it but it will not let me edit the title. :mad: I currently do not own a diesel but may in the near future. I was wanting to know what all the differences are in the base line Cummins compared to the High Output. Is it mostly just tuning or are things like the turbo, fuel rail, valve size all different?

What weights are you looking to pull? That's a big difference is the capacity. From what I have read, people tuning the SO diesel to get to the stock HO power.

Driving unloaded I do not notice a difference. Pulling my 12K toyhauler, the difference between my 2013 RAM 2500 SO diesel and this 2020 RAM 3500 HO diesel is amazing.

So the real questions is: what trailers are in your sights and what are those weights? And if you want towing capacity, you will want a Tradesman edition. The upper trims have 800-1200 pounds less payload than my Tradesman does. I found that looking at the door labels on truck on the dealer's lot Jan-April of this year. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC LB 4x4 DRW with 5475 payload.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I see you have one. I bet it can yank some weight down the road!
Yes, it pulls like a train. MPG could be better, and the Aisin, while very stout, is pretty crude in operation, and I get a pretty terrible shudder on the 2-3 upshift, when pulling the toy hauler. I will be interested to see what they replace the Aisin with. And hoping they see the error of their ways, and dump the CP4 pump.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What's a "Cimmins" ? :D

Fixed it ...

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
What weights are you looking to pull? That's a big difference is the capacity. From what I have read, people tuning the SO diesel to get to the stock HO power.

Driving unloaded I do not notice a difference. Pulling my 12K toyhauler, the difference between my 2013 RAM 2500 SO diesel and this 2020 RAM 3500 HO diesel is amazing.

So the real questions is: what trailers are in your sights and what are those weights? And if you want towing capacity, you will want a Tradesman edition. The upper trims have 800-1200 pounds less payload than my Tradesman does. I found that looking at the door labels on truck on the dealer's lot Jan-April of this year. I have a 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC LB 4x4 DRW with 5475 payload.

The heaviest thing I currently pull is my 38' 5th wheel fully loaded at 13,500. Re-geared my gas engine to 4.56 with stock tires so it does alright. Once we retire, or maybe a little sooner, we may get a slightly bigger 5th wheel that is made more for full timing which will means it will be heavier. Right now I am at nearly max on my axle weights with some only having a couple hundred pounds from being over. If we start doing this more regularly in the future, I will want something that is more than enough rather than just enough.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, it pulls like a train. MPG could be better, and the Aisin, while very stout, is pretty crude in operation, and I get a pretty terrible shudder on the 2-3 upshift, when pulling the toy hauler. I will be interested to see what they replace the Aisin with. And hoping they see the error of their ways, and dump the CP4 pump.

I thought the Aisin was the end all be all. Be nice if somebody (Ram or Aisin) would build a robust 8 speed.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
The heaviest thing I currently pull is my 38' 5th wheel fully loaded at 13,500. Re-geared my gas engine to 4.56 with stock tires so it does alright. Once we retire, or maybe a little sooner, we may get a slightly bigger 5th wheel that is made more for full timing which will means it will be heavier. Right now I am at nearly max on my axle weights with some only having a couple hundred pounds from being over. If we start doing this more regularly in the future, I will want something that is more than enough rather than just enough.

Pretty much why I went with the 3500 DRW, instead of a 3500 SRW, when replacing my 2013 RAM 2500. The 3500 SRW only added another 1300-1500 over my 2500 payload. The DRW added 3000 pounds of payload. The HO was just icing for me. I am truly prepared for any trailer we would consider now. We will never go full time. Wife will be in a wheelchair at some point. So we travel as we can now, to build memories for when travel is too difficult.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
I currently have a 2020 Bighorn DRW CC LB SO Cummins with 4:10 axle, pulling a 41' 5th wheel @18000lbs. This truck pulls like a freight train. I have no plans to delete or tune this vehicle. there is no lack of power here.
I went with the SO over the HO because of the crude overly harsh shift management of the HO/Aisin when running empty, the lowered cargo capacity, and the added $2000.00 option. If you are planning to be towing and be under 24000lb trailer weight (mine is rated @23600lb with a 32000lb GCWR) JMHO you cant go wrong with the SO Cummins/68RFE. Again JMHO the RFE trannies get a bad rap from so called tuners who are inexperienced and don't know what they are doing. I have also since learned of the greater fuel consumption of the HO ( from friends running an HO and towing pretty much the same weight) compared to the SO. Looks like it will range between 10.5-12.7 running NE Ohio to Florida through the hills of WVA and VA (a few 7% grades).
Depending on what you will be towing you should be pleased with either SO or HO.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks... I posted it before I proof read it, & then I didn't see a way to fix it on my end.

No worries. I just had to poke at ya some... ;)

You can't edit a thread title in any event.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum

Just a comparison between HO & SO my cargo capacity is 5870 about 400lbs more, may be even more if it was a Tradesman, but you trailer weight and GCWR is probably about 9000lb more than me

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hell yeah it is. I don't know why but that really bugs me. :D

It bugs a LOT of people! I never have figured out why. It's just one of those weird names/words that is easy to misspell. I have to concentrate hard to NOT misspell Aisin. :Big Laugh:

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
I currently have a 2020 Bighorn DRW CC LB SO Cummins with 4:10 axle, pulling a 41' 5th wheel @18000lbs. This truck pulls like a freight train. I have no plans to delete or tune this vehicle. there is no lack of power here.
I went with the SO over the HO because of the crude overly harsh shift management of the HO/Aisin when running empty, the lowered cargo capacity, and the added $2000.00 option. If you are planning to be towing and be under 24000lb trailer weight (mine is rated @23600lb with a 32000lb GCWR) JMHO you cant go wrong with the SO Cummins/68RFE. Again JMHO the RFE trannies get a bad rap from so called tuners who are inexperienced and don't know what they are doing. I have also since learned of the greater fuel consumption of the HO ( from friends running an HO and towing pretty much the same weight) compared to the SO. Looks like it will range between 10.5-12.7 running NE Ohio to Florida through the hills of WVA and VA (a few 7% grades).
Depending on what you will be towing you should be pleased with either SO or HO.

I have to agree with you on the reason is for issues with the 68RFE tranny. When I had the option for my HO/Aisin, I took it. My truck is rated for 5475 payload, 33,500 max trailer. I know my current 12k trailer feels like it is not there.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am holding out for the new tranny they are going to put behind Cummins, so I guess asking on here is worthless since nobody on here will have experience with one. If a guy can't tell the difference between the SO & HO unloaded, I will probably just get the SO. I am not pulling enough weight to justify the extra $2,000, & most importantly, the reduction in MPG.

OP
OP
68PowerWagon

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Does anybody know what the MPG difference is between the SO & HO? We talking .5mpg difference or more like 2 or 3mpg.