Cummins Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gasjr4wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've got over 200K on mine... runs fine. There are guys on other forums that run as hot shots that get a little pissed when they don't hit 1,000,000 miles. They do get very, very close. I've seen one or two trucks go over.

Dan Dargeloh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins Diesel
I've got a 95 one ton dually (160 horsepower) that has over 350,000 miles on it and still going strong. It is totally stock except for a curved air inlet pipe. I use Rotella 5w 40 synthetic oil and change oil at 5,000 miles. It still runs great and uses very little oil. I do keep it in the machine shed during the winter due to it being 2 wheel drive (worthless in snow and on ice) and I don't want to subject the pristine body to salt. I figure it will run for about ever, if the engine is left stock. I think that those who hop up these engines and run them hard will most likely shorten the life of these great engines. Even pulling my old 2 valve hard isn't going to really affect it as it is not stressed at the factory setting. It has enough power to do what I want to use it for and will do it at sane speeds. Drive your truck right and it will treat you right.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I sold my 2001 Ram 3/4 ton quad cab 4x4 with a Cummins it had over 200K on it and the engine was as tight as new and didn't use a drop of oil. The body was starting to dissolve around it due to 15 years of Michigan road salt. Rest assured, the truck will probably wear out many parts long before the Cummins is through!

swapwap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the price of the stupid things should be atleast 500k. The hemi will do 350k

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For the price of the stupid things should be atleast 500k. The hemi will do 350k

There’s a decent amount of guys on YouTube in the 300-400k range for miles, and only have had to do a few minor repairs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
As said, the truck will fall apart long before you have to worry about the engine. Either that, or you will get tired of the truck and upgrade again before the engine leaves you stuck.

Jamesrich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
At work we currently have a 08 dodge 3500 4x4 with 325k. Injectors were replaced and recently the turbo but everything else is original, all the pollution crap still there too. The auto trans is showing low pressure and so is the fuel rail pressure so we stopped using it for towing and made it a shop truck till the boss decides if he wants to spend the money for a new trans and pump. it still runs strong though even with low pump pressure! I ran it across two states recently to go get a crappy ford that didn't want to tow!

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just wondering what kind of life expectancy I will get out of a Cummins? Used as a daily driver, snow plowing, towing the boat weekly during the summer months and some long over the road trips (not towing...yet). I not to familiar with disel engines.

Like any vehicle, proper maintenance and most will last for years

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I had 250k on my '97 Dodge/Cummins.
It had been totaled in a wreck, and I got it with 100k(?). I had one minor failure (brushes on the starter motor) in that time, but hotroddded the throttle plate and put in a better trans. I towed race cars, hauled a camper, off-roaded it, and generally beat on it, with little more than oil changes.

In the end, the Dodge parts started to fall apart. The brakes were terrifying.

I assume I'll get at least that many from my '17.