CURING THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
so My 1978 Dodge D250 318... Yes i have a 318 instead of a 360 in my D250. & It's a flat bed .
But my check engine light comes on a few minutes after cranking it.
& Some where I'm thinking It says Maintenance required .
Which I'm thinking just means It's telling me I need an oil change .
SO HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a check engine light on a '78 but in the mid '80s there was a square 9 volt battery in behind the dash you could change that turned the maintenance light off.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Any Idea on where the 9V BATTERY IS LOCATED.
I don't remember every hearing that & I worked at Chrysler until 2002 - 2010 +r-.
......Mine has a panel above the radio . & I believe it says Check engine while I'm driving it .
& Maybe before you crank it ... It says Maintenance required .
SORRY But I have 9 farm vehicles. SO I'm not in this truck except when I put out hay or maybe take it to town for fuel & maybe feed . But I have 2 more Jeep ZJ's .. I feed out of most of the times .
........ If anyone else has a thought about the CEL. or 9V.
... & yOU MAY BE CORRECT on the 9V . Because I just had the console swapped out . & THE NEW one is worse than the old one.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You can Google it and maybe help you. I had a '85 Dodge van that had it, it was I think between the fuel and alt gauge if I remember correctly. I'm positive about it being there but not positive on which year models had it. It was made to come on at a certain mileage like 50 or 60 thousand miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Yes that was the one thing I remembered about that light It triggered at, to me an ODD TIME. Like 70K Miles or so.
I think it was planned to tell you , You needed to go trade your truck in.
It did 2 things.
1st it sold them a new truck at 70k to you .. &
2nd for them they got a 70K used truck to sell.
... But I don't remember the battery.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes that was the one thing I remembered about that light It triggered at, to me an ODD TIME. Like 70K Miles or so.
I think it was planned to tell you , You needed to go trade your truck in.
It did 2 things.
1st it sold them a new truck at 70k to you .. &
2nd for them they got a 70K used truck to sell.
... But I don't remember the battery.
Yes I always felt bad for the ones that took their vehicle in thinking something was wrong with it to get charged only God knows how much to change a 9 volt battery. I thought of it as a deceit then but who knows how much deceit is on cars now. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked at things like electronics that has an expiration date built in them when they are produced!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You mean like water pump bearings
You know almost to mile when it will begin leaking water out of the weep hole directly under the bearing