Curt Better Weigh results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought this a few months back and finally had a chance to use it for my trailer. I added weight to simulate the food in the kitchen. That and a basket of clothes in the bedroom is all I added. The trailer is already loaded with everything else.

The weight of the truck seems accurate based on what I figured out by hand. (GVWR-payload+me, full tank of gas, payload, step bars, ECT. The overall weight was taken twice. The screen shot I posted was going slightly uphill and the other one was going slightly downhill at the same spot. (Didn't take that one) That one was 14k so I'm calling the total weight 14,250. The trailer was heavier than I thought but the tongue was about what I thought it was. I did have to raise my weight distribution bar brackets up one hole to dial in the hitch. (Equalizer).

Others on various RV forums said that this app was pretty accurate when compared to cat scale weights they had already.

In case you don't know what this is, here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-51701-B...ale&qid=1591640773&sprefix=curt+Better&sr=8-2

I think it's the same thing as Haul Gauge. Actually I think Curt may have bought Haul Gauge.

Screenshot_20200512-095553.png Screenshot_20200608-111521.png Screenshot_20200608-113242.png Screenshot_20200608-114848.png 20200608_120324.jpg

Last edited:

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Looks pretty nifty. I don't quite understand the Weight Distribution screen shot. What are the green and yellow bars supposed to be telling you?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks pretty nifty. I don't quite understand the Weight Distribution screen shot. What are the green and yellow bars supposed to be telling you?
The green bars are ideally where my weights need to be. The red bars are where my weight is. It's showing you how much weight is being transfered to the front axle and back to the trailer. It makes more sense if you saw where I started. This pic is my original wd set up. You can see how it changed when I raised the L bracket. In this pic my front axle is light and my rear axle has more weight on it.

Screenshot_20200608-114229.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, this is the first time I've towed with this truck. The set up was based on my last truck, a '14 Ram 4X4 so it was very close to start with. That one I set up using measurements.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like you're down at the hitch. Did you measure the truck at the front and rear before and after hooking it up? My WD hitch manual says the truck should not settle more than an inch at either end.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This one I didn't measure. With a 1k tongue weight these trucks will always squat. But with that adjustment the trailer tongue came up a bit and more weight was transferred to the front of the truck and back to the trailer. This pic is before I made my adjustment.

20200608_111937.jpg

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Darn it @Loudram, you're making me want to spend money again.

Looks like you still are a little bit light in the front, but pretty dang close.

I'm trying to come up with the justification that I'd use it enough for the price (still cheap, but will I actually change my setup each trip with the trailer..ehh..)

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will that gadget work with auto level (factory air-ride) suspension?

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will that gadget work with auto level (factory air-ride) suspension?
Not sure. If you want to call them their number is 1-877-287-8634. That's the help number right out of their app.

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you use the VIN# or manual calibration for the set up?

I'm having a hard time setting mine up.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At first I used my vin but it didn't work. I was reading 8000lbs curb weight. I called them and they suggested doing a manual calibration. I did and it worked great. I just found a big empty parking lot to do it in. Took about 10 minutes or so.

Deeuubee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to the scales with just me a full tank of gas and the camper top.
It weighed 6450. Lets see how close it get with a manual calibration.
Thanks

View media item 29359

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Loudram, did you take your setup to the scales at all to see how the better weigh numbers officially compared?

Used it to make any mid trip adjustments, or set it and forget it so far?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Loudram, did you take your setup to the scales at all to see how the better weigh numbers officially compared?

Used it to make any mid trip adjustments, or set it and forget it so far?

So far, set it and forget it. I do need to find a scale but first I'll need to recalibrate the app because I got a new phone and the info is stored locally on the phone and I'll be installing a set of Tuftruck 1211's. That'll change things up. I just ordered them. I think the tongue weight was a little high as was the overall weight. But I won't know for sure until I get it on some scales. When I get everything weighed up, I'll post an update.

NorZeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far, set it and forget it. I do need to find a scale but first I'll need to recalibrate the app because I got a new phone and the info is stored locally on the phone and I'll be installing a set of Tuftruck 1211's. That'll change things up. I just ordered them. I think the tongue weight was a little high as was the overall weight. But I won't know for sure until I get it on some scales. When I get everything weighed up, I'll post an update.
That works, just was curious. Been on the fence about this since you originally posted it.

Checked today after posting and saw amazon had a used "very good" one listed for $55, so finally just pulled the trigger.

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That works, just was curious. Been on the fence about this since you originally posted it.

Checked today after posting and saw amazon had a used "very good" one listed for $55, so finally just pulled the trigger.

At that price you almost can't go wrong. All it is is an OBD2 module that you plug in. The rest is the app you download for free.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting concept, it uses the known values for your vehicle and does the math to calculate the force exerted, then subtracts from known vehicle weight to get to trailer weight. What I cannot figure out is how it can accurately calculate the weights at each axle. Will be interested to see all of your updates. One way to get some good information without going to a scale is to use the Weigh Safe hitch, it has a scale built in for tongue weight. With a unloaded stock from factory trailer you could better verify the tool and app. The reviews for the tool and app are all over the place but it could be people just have not taken the time to really walk through the instructions so it never gets the chance to be used properly.

I was going to buy that Weigh Safe hitch but I needed a sway bar ball but not the weight distribution bar hook ups so I bought a Bulletproof 8 inch drop unit with the optional sway ball and will order the WDH connector eventually. Really like the unit, but miss the scale.

Last edited: