Custom Ram build - dealer questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aussie_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only ever dealt with a dealership once, which was a few years ago for my 2019 Classic Warlock. It was one on a lot that had the exact specs I wanted at the time so there wasn't much negotiating or back and forth.

Fast forward to now, and I'm looking at upgrading to a new custom build Warlock and had some dealer questions.

- I've been going back and forth with one sales manager at a dealership close to me, and he seems pretty genuine (as genuine as a dealer can be). He basically told me they can do the MSRP price minus 5% which ends up being invoice price. Should I be pushing for more money off? I'm still waiting on responses from a few other dealers I've emailed but not expecting them all to respond to me

- In regards to rebates/incentives etc, with the way the chip shortage is delaying all new trucks from the factory, am I correct in saying I should price my build and expect it with no incentives? For example, 3 out of the 4 incentives listed when i build my truck on the Ram website say "must take retail delivery by September 24" etc ... which obviously isn't going to happen with the delays. Is it best just to price the truck up with whatever discount the dealer gives you, and then any incentives you may get on delivery is like a bonus ultimately and more money in your pocket?

- This specific dealer I've been emailing with said he doesn't need a deposit ... "your word is good" as he said to me. Is this out of the ordinary for him to not want any deposit if I was to go ahead with the order?

Any other suggestions/tips etc in going back and forth with a dealership would be appreciated. I know they can be pretty tricky sometimes and try and spin things around to make it look good for you, when in actual fact you're getting screwed.

Last edited:

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A close friend is the part’s manager of a local CDJR dealership, where my family buys and has has their vehicles serviced.

He recently told me that CDJR is only accepting orders from dealers for sold (customer) vehicles - not stock units.

That is why the sales manager is willing to order a vehicle under your name and address, with no deposit. If you don’t buy it (and back-out) - he will quickly be able to sell it in today’s market.

For you to be assured of being able to buy the ordered vehicle, you will have to sign a purchase contract - which should specific the exact vehicle and options, and price. The dealership may or may not require a deposit (see paragraph 3.....).

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Contact Aaron at Mark Dodge in Lake Shore, LA. Tell him you're on one of the RAM forums - you should get closer to 10% off sticker (which is what I got). I ended up being eligible for an additional 8% off in incentives when the truck arrived, for a total of 18% off sticker. Local dealers wouldn't "deal" at all - sticker or go home.

I drove a rental 10 hours to pick it up in person and broke it in on the way home. No incentive for me, just a happy customer.

es

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
aussie_ram
Have you contacted either of the 2 dealers in Utah
Normally they have buyers flying in to pick up a vehicle that they ordered
Salt Lake City is about a easy 7 hour drive, 420 miles or so

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've only ever dealt with a dealership once, which was a few years ago for my 2019 Classic Warlock. It was one on a lot that had the exact specs I wanted at the time so there wasn't much negotiating or back and forth.

Fast forward to now, and I'm looking at upgrading to a new custom build Warlock and had some dealer questions.

- I've been going back and forth with one sales manager at a dealership close to me, and he seems pretty genuine (as genuine as a dealer can be). He basically told me they can do the MSRP price minus 5% which ends up being invoice price. Should I be pushing for more money off? I'm still waiting on responses from a few other dealers I've emailed but not expecting them all to respond to me

- In regards to rebates/incentives etc, with the way the chip shortage is delaying all new trucks from the factory, am I correct in saying I should price my build and expect it with no incentives? For example, 3 out of the 4 incentives listed when i build my truck on the Ram website say "must take retail delivery by September 24" etc ... which obviously isn't going to happen with the delays. Is it best just to price the truck up with whatever discount the dealer gives you, and then any incentives you may get on delivery is like a bonus ultimately and more money in your pocket?

- This specific dealer I've been emailing with said he doesn't need a deposit ... "your word is good" as he said to me. Is this out of the ordinary for him to not want any deposit if I was to go ahead with the order?

Any other suggestions/tips etc in going back and forth with a dealership would be appreciated. I know they can be pretty tricky sometimes and try and spin things around to make it look good for you, when in actual fact you're getting screwed.

What have you done?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If they're offering incentives that you're eligible for you should get them. If THEY can't deliver it by the listed date that's their fault & their problem, not yours.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members