Custom trany tune worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That man has dropped so much weight out of his ram. Thats why hes as fast as he is being NA. If the supercharged guys could stop breaking stuff and get a solid run he would be left in the dust. I still will defend Diablo tho. For the vast majority of people getting their trucks tuned its a lot more user friendly.
Really doesn't apply does it,Rick still owns the record with HP,once he hits it with nitrous Matt and Jason won't catch him,lol.It's easier to datalog and send files with HP,then it is trying to find the pids you need for a Diablo tune,then send them off to your tuner,then pray to god Diablo works ,and doesn't brick your PCM.I've ran both HP is easier to work with.I'm guessing you've never tried HP out,and you're working off your internet experiences,lol

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really doesn't apply does it,Rick still owns the record with HP,once he hits it with nitrous Matt and Jason won't catch him,lol.It's easier to datalog and send files with HP,then it is trying to find the pids you need for a Diablo tune,then send them off to your tuner,then pray to god Diablo works ,and doesn't brick your PCM.I've ran both HP is easier to work with.I'm guessing you've never tried HP out,and you're working off your internet experiences,lol
Ive used HP with other vehicles but have my truck tuned by diablo. Both are incredibly able to tune these trucks. Ive had 1 single issue with diablo in 3 years and they fixed it within a day. Ive heard horror stories of HP doing the same stuff diablo does. But people continue to spread the false info that Diablo isnt as capable of tuning and it definitely is. Proof is in the pudding.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ive used HP with other vehicles but have my truck tuned by diablo. Both are incredibly able to tune these trucks. Ive had 1 single issue with diablo in 3 years and they fixed it within a day. Ive heard horror stories of HP doing the same stuff diablo does. But people continue to spread the false info that Diablo isnt as capable of tuning and it definitely is. Proof is in the pudding.
Point us to anybody who's had an issue with HP.Now you're just making things up.Diablo is known for bricking PCMs,and you're on enough facebook pages to know that Tyler.Don't get all Green fanboy on us now,lol

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Point us to anybody who's had an issue with HP.Now you're just making things up.Diablo is known for bricking PCMs,and you're on enough facebook pages to know that Tyler.Don't get all Green fanboy on us now,lol
Im not a green fanboy. Hp isnt the be all that everyone makes it. It has some of the same issues that diablo does.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Im not a green fanboy. Hp isnt the be all that everyone makes it. It has some of the same issues that diablo does.
I call BS,you're just trying to make yourself sound good Tyler,lol.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I have i2 & MPVI2
Hptuners hardware/software reads & writes to PCM/TCM faster than Diablo but requires a laptop.
Diablo marries to vehicle Hp does not.
Hp has never locked me out, i2 has locked me out twice requiring support from Diablo.
Hp will change gear ratio(BCM) & wheel diameter without license on a Mopar or Ford.
Diablo will only change wheel diameter on vehicle it is married to.

As far as winning the race it's the tuner(guy that writes tune), driver & vehicle(engine/setup).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have i2 & MPVI2
Hptuners hardware/software reads & writes to PCM/TCM faster than Diablo but requires a laptop.
Diablo marries to vehicle Hp does not.
Hp has never locked me out, i2 has locked me out twice requiring support from Diablo.
Hp will change gear ratio(BCM) & wheel diameter without license on a Mopar or Ford.
Diablo will only change wheel diameter on vehicle it is married to.

As far as winning the race it's the tuner(guy that writes tune), driver & vehicle(engine/setup).
If your eyes are good,you can use a tablet instead of a laptop,my eyes aren't that good anymore,so it's a cheap used laptop,that i have just dedicated to HP.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If your eyes are good,you can use a tablet instead of a laptop,my eyes aren't that good anymore,so it's a cheap used laptop,that i have just dedicated to HP.
Yeah I have an Android tablet but it is slow & laggy.....very little memory left also dedicated to smartbox auto.
I think the tablet has to be windows based though.....never owned 1
These old eyes need a larger screen also.......LoL

Last edited:
OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the unlocked PCM installed, canned 87 tune installed for now….but there is no TCM option shown on my i3 (yes it’s updated).

looks like I will be calling Diablo tomorrow….tried today but was on hold for 20+min waiting to connect…it was after 5 at that point so I hung up.

A quick search seems to point to a calibration needed from Diablo.

Once all this is straightened out I will get the custom tunes!

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the unlocked PCM installed, canned 87 tune installed for now….but there is no TCM option shown on my i3 (yes it’s updated).

looks like I will be calling Diablo tomorrow….tried today but was on hold for 20+min waiting to connect…it was after 5 at that point so I hung up.

A quick search seems to point to a calibration needed from Diablo.

Once all this is straightened out I will get the custom tunes!

Was able to get a hold of Diablo Sat. morning and got hte calibration from them, its very common to have the issue per Diablo.

My take on the canned 87 tune and "performance" trans tune.

I like it so far, the truck feels quicker for sure. Very happy with the 87 tune. Now the trans, its better...but still not what I expect from the 8 speed. The shifts are a little quicker/firmer but still seems to have a little lag between shifts.

The truck also seems to hold he gear longer before down shifting under normal day to day driving, its downshift quick if you get on it though.

I also turned off my pedal commander to test the tunes....not sure I will keep it at this point lol (I was only running City-0).

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
That's a wise move.How big a shot are you planning on hitting it with.Anything over a 100 shot,you should seriously look into doing a seperate stand alone fuel cell dedicated to the nitrous side of the fuel system.The stock system goes instant lean,as soon as the fuel solonoid opens and takes a bit to catch up,leading to an instant lean condition,lean and nitrous don't go together very well.I've been playing with nitrous since 1981,and have learned a few expensive lessons over the years,one being,do not short change the fuel system,and the other is,leave the purging for the guys on TV,it won't gain you squat on anything under a 250 shot,and just wastes nitrous.I run a Nitrous Outlet stand alone set-ups in both my truck,and the wifes 1320 Challenger. This is the one in my truck.

This is the fuel cell i use in the wifes Challenger.

Fuel cell is in the front pass corner of the box,relocated battery is in the rear pass corner of the box
man i love ur truck!!!

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So got some the Jay Greene custom tunes (87 for winter, 93 summer) with trans tune.

Just loaded it up his 87 and trans tune, WOW on the trans tune!

87 tune feels close to the canned tune, was not expecting much here honestly. The trans tune though is how the truck should have come from the factory!

AzCats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CC Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was the process on getting the calibration from them? I have a i2 model i2010 for a 2014 8speed and wonder if that's what I need to get TCM option. Thanks

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Figured I would offer an update.

I have not run the 93 tune yet due to gas prices however this past weekend I was ripping around with my pedal commander set to sport-0 and had to hole shot from a light to get in front of traffic and the truck barked second, like legit caught second and was out!

The shifting for the most part is spot on, every now and then I wish the shifting at WOT was a little tighter/quicker but I have not reached out to JG about it as I have ARH LT's sitting here waiting to go on.

I figure once I get them on and load the header tunes he sent I will work with him to tweak the trany tune more to my liking.