CV joint rattle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip H Anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SSV. 65 k. While going through the truck in preparation for a camping trip I decided to chase down a front end rattle. This rattle only made itself known when going over bumps or any other small road imperfections. I found that the rattle was from where the CV axles slide onto the differential stub axles. They had some signs of rust but not much. You could grab the CV axles and move them up and down on the stub. I bought new CV axles and both inner stub axles, I got the passenger side from US Power Products in Iowa. Put it all together now it is quiet. Fifteen thousand miles later they are just as loose and noisy as before. Any help on this would be appreciated.

JAMES GREEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
HEMI
Just had to replace my front right CV joint on my 2017 Outdoorsman. 12 days wait for part 100.00 shipping and all in total 590.00 installed at my reliable tire dealer here in town. truck has only 77000 KM or 47845 miles. Not sure if this is a weak link or just normal wear and tear.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello. Need more info so we can offer suggestions:

1) Are you talking the outers were sloppy, or inner CV joint?
2) And by "sloppy" or "Play", how much up/down play would you estimate was on the originals when you wiggled them up/down hard? CVs usually have some play in them anyway, just trying to get a sense how much there was.
3) After you installed the new CV axles, how did the ends feel afterwards? How much 'play' was there? None/Some/a fair amount?
4) And, after a month of driving and the new CV's settled in, how much play was there (usually there will be a little)
5) I assume you had the CV shafts 'unloaded' (not wound up), when testing so you could effectively check them (??). (Sorry ...I have to ask to be sure you were checking them right)

Also,
6) Did you happen to check the wheel bearings by raising the front tire off the ground with a jack and wiggling (rocking) the tire with great force towards and away from you with your hands in the 6 & 12 O'clock positions? How did you feel much or any play? How about now ...have you checked wheel bearings recently? Wheel bearings can litterally be in a slow-fail mode for 6 months or a yr under some conditions and sound ok going down the road but make certain noises under certain conditions around corners. I've seen plenty like that. It's worth checking them again.
7) Have you double-checked the CV retaining nut to make sure it didn't loosen up?
8) Shocks - have you wiggled the shocks? Probably not the issue, but shock bushing can fail and they'll rattle real nice. Doesn't cost anything to check.
9) Worth checking the anti-sway bar bushings/end links too. Maybe you have multiple rattles going on at the moment.

Just trying to get some info so we can offer suggestions...

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Philip H Anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on my CV axles. I meant to say 1,500 miles they were clunking again. These were NAPA axles. I replaced the inner stub with a Dorman Part. Video is the drivers side. The passenger side is also clunking but not as bad. I replaced the passenger side axle with one from US Power Products in Iowa. See video. I'm almost ready to get a truck with a straight front axle !

97APars

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SSV. 65 k. While going through the truck in preparation for a camping trip I decided to chase down a front end rattle. This rattle only made itself known when going over bumps or any other small road imperfections. I found that the rattle was from where the CV axles slide onto the differential stub axles. They had some signs of rust but not much. You could grab the CV axles and move them up and down on the stub. I bought new CV axles and both inner stub axles, I got the passenger side from US Power Products in Iowa. Put it all together now it is quiet. Fifteen thousand miles later they are just as loose and noisy as before. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Going through the same thing right now with my 2017 ram. Any update on fix?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye