CVT Transmissions -- 2020 Nissan Rogue (Wifes new whip)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Hey guys. My wife just got a 2020 Nissan Rogue with 20k miles. Its a nice little SUV and she is really enjoying it.
Ive been trying to do as much research as I can to know what I should be looking out for, maintenance wise.

The first glaring thing is the CVT Transmission. Im reading that Nissan has had MAJOR problems with the earlier versions of this transmission. Lawsuits abound.
My wifes car has the CVT trans., but its the newer "better" iteration.

Is anyone here familiar with any CVT Transmissions? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
I read where one guy ran an aftermarket cooler because they get hot really easily due to the slipping belt driven system.
Also, one should drain and refill the trans fluid every 40k miles...

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have one in the wife's '18 Toyota CH-R. The car handles well, but I hate that trans. If you try to hammer it, it just winds up the engine and acts like it's slipping the clutch to get the car up to speed. It even does that on the interstate when climbing hills. Apparently if you select "sport" mode, the trans is supposed to act like a 7 speed trans, but it's still not the greatest, and she doesn't like that mode so it's set to "normal" most of the time. It has an "eco" mode too, but we haven't used it yet.

Still, in normal driving around town, we get about 30mpg, so it's not all bad.

We've only had it a year and she doesn't drive it much. When we bought it, I opted for the service contract and Toyota extended warranty just because of the CVT.

She was thinking about the new Murano, but we'd seen the same things about the Nissan CVT.

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
All I can say is I just spent 9 days in an 18 Rogue Sport (Vacation rental) and while it was OK, I hated the CVT. It felt fragile. As stated, fresh fluid and light throttle.

We have one in the wife's '18 Toyota CH-R. The car handles well, but I hate that trans. If you try to hammer it, it just winds up the engine and acts like it's slipping the clutch to get the car up to speed. It even does that on the interstate when climbing hills. Apparently if you select "sport" mode, the trans is supposed to act like a 7 speed trans, but it's still not the greatest, and she doesn't like that mode so it's set to "normal" most of the time. It has an "eco" mode too, but we haven't used it yet.

Still, in normal driving around town, we get about 30mpg, so it's not all bad.

We've only had it a year and she doesn't drive it much. When we bought it, I opted for the service contract and Toyota extended warranty just because of the CVT.

She was thinking about the new Murano, but we'd seen the same things about the Nissan CVT.

Thanks guys. So I havent heard anything detrimental about owning a CVT. Just basically drive like an old lady on the way to the grocery store. Ill keep fresh fluid in there and hopefully it will last awhile.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Wife had the CVT in a Nissan when it first came out, they later added lifetime warranty...but that was many moons ago, rumor they made them much better lately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye