Cylinder 3 misfire help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. I have a 2016 ram 1500 5.7 hemi with 130,000 miles. Recently my truck started throwing a P219A code of air fuel mixture imbalance. I knew I had a bad exhaust manifold leak so I had both sides replaced with new exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets at the dealer. Fixed my exhaust leak tick but my check engine light is now back on with these codes

P219A
P303 cylinder 3 misfire as well as
U001 high speed can bus?

Driving around with light throttle there are no problems but when putting load on the engine and around 3k rpm my check engine light will flash and the truck feels like it is shuddering and losing power until I let off the gas and my light turns back off.

Any suggestions on what it could be?
I’ve read quite a bit about the cam and lifter failures and really hope this isn’t what I have. Has anyone here had the cam and lifters replaced at the dealer? How much did it cost you?

B2BA24F9-934D-49B6-ACE5-A628C95F949F.jpeg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
When was the last time plugs were done? Pull the valve covers and see if your rockers are moving the same stroke. Curious if u ate a cam lobe. I've also seen plugged cats cause a misfire but that's normally a random Misfire. Do a compression test too while ur at it.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Sounds like the Lifters and Cam for that cylinder are toast. Hear a tick while it’s running?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Havnt seen you on in awhyle. You laying low? Lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The miles in which cam/lifters most likely show up have been noted, between 70 and 130k miles. Seams like if you make it past 130k the hemi doesn't tend to eat cams, it sounds like you are a victim of the same bug. Try swapping coil pack and plugs, see if code travels. The good news is that code is specific, sometimes they aren't. Swap 3 with whatever.

OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sounds like the Lifters and Cam for that cylinder are toast. Hear a tick while it’s running?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Thats what I’m afraid of. I do hear tick while running. Fortunately my exhaust tick is gone but there is still another...

OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When was the last time plugs were done? Pull the valve covers and see if your rockers are moving the same stroke. Curious if u ate a cam lobe. I've also seen plugged cats cause a misfire but that's normally a random Misfire. Do a compression test too while ur at it.

I replaced the plugs at 105k. I wish If I get the chance hopefully I’ll be able to get the over off and see what’s going on in there.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thats what I’m afraid of. I do hear tick while running. Fortunately my exhaust tick is gone but there is still another...

For the Hemi tick the only way to really tell if it’s the lifters or the cam is to pull the heads. Which sucks.

Take a video of it running after it’s warmed up and get as close as you can to where the tick is coming from.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well everyone it turns out I definitely had destroyed lifter in cylinder 3. Ate my Cam for dinner. Here is a picture. She runs great now and hope it holds out another 130k.

4D3F9178-0F3C-4115-8EC4-EE6411B530B2.jpeg

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
So do you think the oil filter caught all the metal shavings that were once part of the cam shaft? Or are most of them imbedded into the rod, main, and cam bearings?

OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So do you think the oil filter caught all the metal shavings that were once part of the cam shaft? Or are most of them imbedded into the rod, main, and cam bearings?

I really hope it did. Unfortunately I had to have the dealership do these repairs as it’s a little bit outside my mechanical expertise but they claimed everything looked good. I guess time will tell if anything is else is damaged in there from the metal.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well everyone it turns out I definitely had destroyed lifter in cylinder 3. Ate my Cam for dinner. Here is a picture. She runs great now and hope it holds out another 130k.

View attachment 234785

Thanks for follow up with pics, can you tell us what oil/filter combo you have been using? They replaces all lifters as well? Did you happen to get lifters? Especially number 3 lifter? Did you have hemi tick at all? There are two trains of thought, sometimes a lob like that could have created shavings, but not necessarily, sometimes the wear would just be elevated slowly over time and would be very low micron metal, not harmless but way less harmless then metal shards. One reason why I cut open most of my oil filters, they tell an ongoing story, so far my story is so far so good.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ouch, thanks for the update.

And folks still say this isn't a thing.

The thing that amazes me is how many people have had multiple cam fails on the forum, and people who were members here who didnt come here to complain, but just had their cam fail, and all of them the same thing, one lob ate to the nub that renders a truck useless. You add this plus literally every famous internet mechanic like motor city and others who have several hemi's on their shop all needing cam/lifters all the time. And add the fact lifters always seam to be out of stock, yeah this is a huge issue.

There is a cover up at fca and likely with gov't help to prevent massive recalls. Hardly anyone would take their ram to a dealer after warranty to get this fixed, it would be 1/2 price or less to use local shop for cam/lifters and nobody tracks those numbers. I have even asked foreign car mechanics what they think, and even they know of this issue, lol. People think well it didn't happen to me so it must not be a thing, ok whatever. I had hemi tick on a 3500 mile brand new engine, luckily ram forum seams to have an answer, but it would surely be better if we didn't have this issue.

OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for follow up with pics, can you tell us what oil/filter combo you have been using? They replaces all lifters as well? Did you happen to get lifters? Especially number 3 lifter? Did you have hemi tick at all? There are two trains of thought, sometimes a lob like that could have created shavings, but not necessarily, sometimes the wear would just be elevated slowly over time and would be very low micron metal, not harmless but way less harmless then metal shards. One reason why I cut open most of my oil filters, they tell an ongoing story, so far my story is so far so good.

I didn’t get pictures of the lifters but they did replace all of them. As for oil I used 5w-20 castrol edge full synthetic and k&n oil filter changed about every 7k miles. (I drive a lot of highway miles) I had both hemi ticks for a while. Got the exhaust manifold bolts replaced also. She runs really well and quite now. There is definitely a real problem with these engines and cam/lifter failures. The dealer said they 3 more lined up after mine.