Cylinder 7 misfire 2013 ram 1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well in my case the mds lifter collapsed and would not fill with oil (as designed to do when activated) causing it to hammer. Had they not been in there I almost 90% guarantee that would never have happened. I am not a fan of that crap, want a 4cyl get one but ya have a hemi, the fuel economy isn't that affected by shutting off or deleting mds so the whole point is far beyond me. All I know is that crap starts breaking down and costing money. Usually right after warranty too.

Too many folk have had non mds lifters fail for the failures to be attributed to the MDS system. I agree though, doesn't really improve mpg all that much.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I completely agree with you, I did notice working in the engine shop the engines that did come in with lifter failure were usually either run in the lower rpm range for extended periods of time or lack of maintenance and good oil. Once the bearings are contaminated things just seem to wear that much faster and it's a domino effect. You probly know just as well as I do tho. Maintenance is key.

OP
OP
N

Nola_Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear you’re considering jumping ship. Every truck, from ant manufacturer is going to have some issues. Some worse than others. At least this is a free repair for you.

Yeah, the problem is it isn’t. I’m out of warranty based on time, not mileage, so it’s $4,000. With that being what it is, it’s such a huge chuck of the trade in value of the vehicle, it looks like it’s worth it to swap it out for another vehicle that’s used and doesn’t have the issue.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes you think mom Mrs lifters will solve the future issues ?
I think he's referring to the fact that the non MDS cam and lifters are different and don't have the same problems. I would go with an aftermarket cam and lifters if it were me and stay away from Ma Mopar completely on that one If I had a choice.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah, the problem is it isn’t. I’m out of warranty based on time, not mileage, so it’s $4,000. With that being what it is, it’s such a huge chuck of the trade in value of the vehicle, it looks like it’s worth it to swap it out for another vehicle that’s used and doesn’t have the issue.

Have you tried calling RamCares (aka Ram Corporate Customer Service) to see if they’ll help you with the repair since you’re out only by time and not even close to the mileage? They may foot the bill or pay some portion of it? Just a thought as I used to work in dealerships as a Service Advjsor and corporate can surprise you at times as to how they will help you. Especially since this is a well known issue.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Have you tried calling RamCares (aka Ram Corporate Customer Service) to see if they’ll help you with the repair since you’re out only by time and not even close to the mileage? They may foot the bill or pay some portion of it? Just a thought as I used to work in dealerships as a Service Advjsor and corporate can surprise you at times as to how they will help you. Especially since this is a well known issue.
That's a good call! Definately worth a shot!

OP
OP
N

Nola_Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I’ll do so on Monday, thank you for the great idea!

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad to help! Good luck! I just hate seeing someone give up and not try every option especially if they like their truck.

OP
OP
N

Nola_Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, another update. I spoke to ram cares, they’re saying that they spoke to the dealership, but the dealership is not willing to do the repairs without me coming out of pocket for all of it, but ram cares can’t submit the request for reimbursement without the work being done. As such, they can’t tell me an amount they would be willing to help with. So I’m being asked to fork out $4000, with the hope that they decide to make it right on the back end. Frankly I’m amazed and disappointed that it works this way.

In total, they’ve had my vehicle for 5 weeks, on a problem they should’ve caught in September.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So, another update. I spoke to ram cares, they’re saying that they spoke to the dealership, but the dealership is not willing to do the repairs without me coming out of pocket for all of it, but ram cares can’t submit the request for reimbursement without the work being done. As such, they can’t tell me an amount they would be willing to help with. So I’m being asked to fork out $4000, with the hope that they decide to make it right on the back end. Frankly I’m amazed and disappointed that it works this way.

In total, they’ve had my vehicle for 5 weeks, on a problem they should’ve caught in September.
Not to sound like "that guy" but I'd take it to another dealer and trade it off asap. 4g out of pocket sounds like a real gamble and if you don't have the skillset to fix it yourself it can cost thousands. The worst part is almost having to take a fricken second loan to pay for a truck that money is owed on. Cut and run that's what I'd do becauae who knows what's next coming down the line at you. T case transmission who knows. Nothing hurts more than paying for a truck you can't drive. Just my two cents tho.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

That’s not right! If that’s how they’re going to play, then I agree with Brandon-W, take your money and run or trade it in there for another vehicle. I just don’t like to see people treated this way and have you cut ties and run from Ram. In this case, I would agree with it though.

Octane

Reaction score
I have reason not to trust fca. If it was me I'd run from that thing and not look back.

Octane

Reaction score
What happened with you?
I had a alternator that was overcharging and getting hot real fast.I thought it was under warranty but it wasn't they said.I found out it had a recall on it and the service rep at dealer said nothing was wrong with the alternator and I just got news of the recall and wanted a new alternator.Well,sure.But it was bad but not exhibiting any issue the recall was for they said.Well,it was.It was overheating..Fca told me they would replace it and I wouldnt have to pay anything.Then dealer replaced it and Fca wouldnt pay dealer.I had to pay 500 bucks for an alternator that had a recall for it to get my car back.Then I told Fca I was gonna sue their lying @$$ and get the feds on them.Fca paid me all expenses. The alternator that they installed on my car was not the improved unit.Later I checked the recalls for my car and it showed they had done the alternator recall and case closed.Crooks

OP
OP
N

Nola_Jack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, the saga continues on this. I speak to FCA they say they will at least cover some of the cost in part and that I need to authorize the repairs with the dealership. The dealership says I need to pay $1,800 up front because they don’t have the parts in stock and they have to order them. Go to the back to pay the $1,800 up front, they tell the girl what parts they need to order, she says they already have them. Annoying, but not that big of a deal.

They have the truck for 6 weeks, call me, tell me it’s done, I pay the remaining $2,100 and take the vehicle home(3 miles away). It sits there from Thursday evening to Saturday night, go to start it up because I’m about to start driving to the airport to fly out of the country, starts like ****, check engine light. Turn it off, get a ride to the airport, come back a week later and bring it to the dealership. Cylinder 7 misfire and the computer needs an update. 24 hours later, it’s “fixed” so I go get it, the starter is still going a bit long but it’s much improved and I don’t want to fight with them about it.

Go out to get a new brake tag 3 days later, check engine light comes on after 43 miles of driving. Bring it back to the dealership for the 5th time in total, cylinder 7 misfire. It’s driving exactly like it was before I dropped it off the first time, which is reasonably well. The guy suggests that they may have gotten defective parts, I tell him the odds of that seem pretty low, especially if it’s the same cylinder. I ask if they observed wear on the cam shaft when they pulled it, he doesn’t know. I ask him the first time I brought it in and they checked for a stuck lifter, how they wouldn’t have caught it, since(in my understanding) you should see a rocker arm not moving, he doesn’t know. I tell him that if it is bad parts, we should see wear on this cam shaft and I would like to see it if/when they pull it. If it isn’t worn, it means(to me) that the issue was never a stuck lifter.

I’ll update you guys again after a while and let you know how it goes. If I’m incorrect about any of this, please give me the heads up. I’ve worked a bit on older motors, however I’m far from an expert, so I’m basing my assumptions on a somewhat limited understanding.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
it makes me wonder. How many out of say 1000 RAM trucks with 6.4L actually have this lifter problem? Is it really caused by a faulty lifter? or does it have anything to do with the type of engine oil used (maintenence related)?

Hass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my 2013 ram 5.7 dropped a lifter, which ate the cam. Had all new lifters and a new cam installed. Now I keep getting misfires. Rarely on the same cylinder twice in a row. It moves around. Mechanic replaced the brain and had it programmed for my truck and the mileage. No help. I do not believe it is a mechanical problem because I have never seen mechanical problems come and go, at least not for long. Any ideas would be helpful. My truck has been in the shop 7 months.