Cylinder Cutoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mprisco10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So Ive had my 19 Ram for over a month, and wanted to ask about the 5.7 cylinder cutoff. Since I have a short commute to work, I rarely get above 40MPH or so. Low RPM in 8th gear and the engine sounds like its missing. Someone just told me, sales rep didn't, about the cylinder shutdown to conserve fuel.
Is this MFS? It can be turned off if I hit the - button on the wheel? I was really getting pissed about it running poorly and was going to bring it in since I have only 400 miles on it. And I have no ECO light that ive read about. Am I supposed to?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Ive had my 19 Ram for over a month, and wanted to ask about the 5.7 cylinder cutoff. Since I have a short commute to work, I rarely get above 40MPH or so. Low RPM in 8th gear and the engine sounds like its missing. Someone just told me, sales rep didn't, about the cylinder shutdown to conserve fuel.
Is this MFS? It can be turned off if I hit the - button on the wheel? I was really getting pissed about it running poorly and was going to bring it in since I have only 400 miles on it. And I have no ECO light that ive read about. Am I supposed to?

If I’m understanding your question precisely, yes, that is your MDS(multi-displacement system) kicking in. Or it’s commonly referred to as VVT, which is variable valve timing. Same thing.

And as far as using the +/- buttons on the wheel to disable it, you should be as we can on the 4th Gens but as far as the ECO light, you probably do have that but, that’s a feature that comes disabled as it really doesn’t have anything to do with the MDS. All it does is just tell you that, irregardless of the state of the MDS that you’re driving in a fuel-conservative manner. That’s probably why it comes from the factory turned off and if you want it to light up, you have to go into your Uconnect settings to turn it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, first thing I do after I put it in gear, go right to 8th so you don't have to hear/feel that. Much better on the highway though, I do use it when I'm going somewhere of distance at highway speeds.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just shift down a gear to 8 before you start off. MDS won't engage if you do. No weird drone, loss of throttle response, etc... will happen.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I’m understanding your question precisely, yes, that is your MDS(multi-displacement system) kicking in. Or it’s commonly referred to as VVT, which is variable valve timing. Same thing.

And as far as using the +/- buttons on the wheel to disable it, you should be as we can on the 4th Gens but as far as the ECO light, you probably do have that but, that’s a feature that comes disabled as it really doesn’t have anything to do with the MDS. All it does is just tell you that, irregardless of the state of the MDS that you’re driving in a fuel-conservative manner. That’s probably why it comes from the factory turned off and if you want it to light up, you have to go into your Uconnect settings to turn it on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

VVT and MDS are not the same thing...

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^ What he said.
MDS = multiple displacement = going from 8 to 4 cylinders
VVT = variable valve timing = advancing or retarding the camshaft via the cam phaser.

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
ah something I am not aware of.. so other words, use the -/+ button to bypass the MDS function.

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will do the same thing as mentioned up above, put it into 8 via gear limit, especially when you modify exhaust, don't get the odd drone sound and it actually sounds a little nicer when your coming to a stop and the tranny downshifts. If your only going up to about 40 mph, craps n giggles try putting the limit to 7th and watch your current mpg. I found that odd too about the ECO light, had to go into settings to see it, also to see what gear its in say D4 for example. I have heard they have a little gismo that you can plug into the ODB2 port that will disable to MDS but that little toy runs $200 - $300 bucks.

R

Rogues Gambit

I will do the same thing as mentioned up above, put it into 8 via gear limit, especially when you modify exhaust, don't get the odd drone sound and it actually sounds a little nicer when your coming to a stop and the tranny downshifts. If your only going up to about 40 mph, craps n giggles try putting the limit to 7th and watch your current mpg. I found that odd too about the ECO light, had to go into settings to see it, also to see what gear its in say D4 for example. I have heard they have a little gismo that you can plug into the ODB2 port that will disable to MDS but that little toy runs $200 - $300 bucks.

Link? I wanna disable that crap