Cylinder deactivation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THE MDS is noticeable if you are familiar with the setup and looking for it. When on an open roadway with Cruise Set, I leave it on. When on winding roads with various ups, downs and level, I use manual gear and deactivate it. Just what I do, as the MDS is a PITA when on up and down country roads.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some sources to back up your claims? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
Well it may or may not wear out the engine prematurely but the little bit of lag that occurs while switching from four back to eight cylinders is noticeable. Also I think that we can all agree that if you have an aftermarket exhaust that helicopter sound that the MDS makes in four cylinder mode does sound like **** compared to running on all eight.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just for the sake of conversation : JOSHUA< do you know a way to permanently disable besides shifting to manual mode all of the time. When I had my 2012, I asked DEALER to turn off. they told me no way and their answer was a BIG NO... I do know our MDS is a lot better than GM, but only IMHO...

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it may or may not wear out the engine prematurely but the little bit of lag that occurs while switching from four back to eight cylinders is noticeable. Also I think that we can all agree that if you have an aftermarket exhaust that helicopter sound that the MDS makes in four cylinder mode does sound like **** compared to running on all eight.

The lag is the transmission deciding what to do, not the MDS. On my '13 I had no issues with MDS drone and my aftermarket exhaust... but either way that is not Ram's problem but yours lol

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lag is the transmission deciding what to do, not the MDS. On my '13 I had no issues with MDS drone and my aftermarket exhaust... but either way that is not Ram's problem but yours lol
It’s not really a problem for me as I remember GMs active Fuel Management and how bad it was and the RAM is noticeably better. Also my truck is stock and the factory exhaust is more throaty sounding than anything the other manufacturers have so I’m happy with it as is.

Terry K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Im getting vibrations at low speeds. driving in residential areas. is this due to cylinder deactivation?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Im getting vibrations at low speeds. driving in residential areas. is this due to cylinder deactivation?
Sounds like what I experience and it coincides with MDS for me.

I don't notice when my MDS kicks in.
I'm not sure if it is on all Option Groups but on mine there's a way to see the MDS when it's active (I have the 7" TFT dash display). On the DISPLAY settings there's an option for "Fuel Saver Display in Cluster". The default is de-selected. Select it and now a little green ECO will come on whenever MDS is activated.

Newbie question: Tow mode disables MDS right?
Yes, it does.

Fireman48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New body style
Engine
5.7. HEMI
If I didn't have my "eco" light activated I wouldn't have a clue when it is active. No vibration at all. I do have eTorque which may make it unnoticeable
X

Me neither. I feel nothing.

silverWS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm coming from a GM truck. There was an aftermarket 'range AFM' disable that you'd plug into the obd port.

Is there a similar option for our trucks? I know about putting the tranny in '-8' but eh, a little annoying to do that everytime I get in the driver's seat.

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
SliverWd6,
That little thingy can do deactivate the mds but it’s a very pricey toy. I had been doing by put in -/+ model and I know it can be royal pain in butt but get use to it. Tow model can disable also.