Dana 60 front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skyroamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins 24V Diesel
Looking in my local junkyard I saw a Ford F250 Dana 60 front end with locking hubs.
Does anyone know if this can replace the dana 60 on my 2001 Ram?
I find that shift fork thing on the Ram to be a weakness and would like to get rid of it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
An easier way to get rid of it is just to swap to a solid axle shaft. The Ford axle would take much more work and effort to swap in and the lockouts aren't exactly needed. Some find them useful for certain things but I hate the lockout conversion on my 1500. Id rather go back to factory style hub bearing

DodgeRamSlT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess it all depends on how often you need 4x4 I have a 550 as a service truck with manual hubs and don’t mind it wish I could do it to my ram 1500

OP
OP
Skyroamer

Skyroamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins 24V Diesel
True, I could go to the solid axle, but then my gears would be spinning all the time. I had a 1978 power wagon with the "full time 4 wheel drive" and the gas mileage was awful.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Ran mine that way for 3 years without the lockouts, stock front end except for the solid shaft. It really doesn't make any difference in mileage whatsoever. The cad system is still spinning the whole front end. Also contrary to popular theory you're realistically not wearing anything out any faster for the same reasons