Dang squeaky door hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This should be something I should be able to figure out, but no luck so far. My drivers side door develops a bad squeak when opening and closing it. I've tried spraying white lithium grease from an aerosol can on it. It's works for about 5-7 days, then the squeak comes back.

Had someone suggest oil first, then coat it with grease after oiling. Tried it, same result.

Is the hinge just shot? The door doesn't sag or anything, and nothing looks worn on the hinge. Only 28,000 miles in this rig, what else can I try?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My old '15 had that issue, and it drove me nuts. On mine the noise was primarily from the roller, not the hinge pins. White lithium just doesn't get it done. I tried so many things both wet and dry, I can't even remember. What seemed to work the best, but still didn't last a "normal" length of time, was to flush brake clean, with a straw, through the roller that rides against the detent arm, with a rag beneath it to minimize the mess. Usually a lot of black nastiness would flush out. Then apply a liquid lube of your choice a small amount at a time while cycling the door nearly through its full range. Fortunately, so far my '19 doesn't have this problem.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I didn't know it was a fairly spread issue. My 2014 does the same. WD-40 didn't do the trick. I'll try some of the tips shown above.

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Try liquid wrench lubricating spray. Seems to last longer other spray lubes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
My 2016 2500 does this as well. On the lower hinge, it is that little roller that the spring loaded detent arm rides on. On mine the roller moves up and down on its shaft as i move the door through its range of motion. I am afraid one day it will pop off that shaft and I will have to replace the lower hinge. I position the door so the roller is at the bottom of the shaft and lubricate the top with Liquid Wrench spray white lithium grease. I try to spray down into the roller / shaft area. Then position the door so the roller is at the top of the shaft and spray the grease up into roller shaft area. Work the door and repeat this process until it stop squeaking. I also grease the side of the detent arm where it meets the roller with regular lithium grease from a can. This usually lasts about a year. I have a ranch and am always getting out of the truck to open and close gates so I work that hinge quite a bit.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
My 2017 is doing this now too. Will give the dry film lube a try. Been through most others already.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 has been doing this for a while. What I noticed is if the roller is on the vertical center of the post, no noise. If it moves up or down a little bit, noise.

I've wanted to make some sort of spacer to snap onto the pin and prevent the roller from moving but I haven't found anything that fits. Iirc the post is 7mm in diameter

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I sprayed silicone on my door hinge and it's worked for a couple of months.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
My '16 did it and my '19 just started. I haven't addressed it on my '19 because it's minor and inconsistent, but i'll put some chain lube with teflon on the roller and see how that holds up.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Green Grease, can pick up at Advanced Auto Parts.

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My driver door does this. Tried all kinds of things but all temporary. I'll try some things in this thread to see if I can get it to stop.

Last edited: