Dang squeaky door hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As mentioned a couple of times already. Fluid Film.

It creeps and is resistant to water.

At the first sign my drivers door is making a little noise I go ahead and shoot all 4 door hinges.

It lasts 4-6 months for me.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I sprayed silicone on my door hinge and it's worked for a couple of months.

It thought of that, but I was told silicone was more of a lubricant for plastics, and not really for any metal products. Could be wrong though, I'll give that a try too.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fluid film seems to be the consensus. I'll see if I can find that somewhere.

bigdodge

Reaction score
As mentioned a couple of times already. Fluid Film.

It creeps and is resistant to water.

At the first sign my drivers door is making a little noise I go ahead and shoot all 4 door hinges.

It lasts 4-6 months for me.
This is exactly my experience. Works the longest

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Fluid film seems to be the consensus. I'll see if I can find that somewhere.

If you've got an Advance Auto Parts nearby, they carry it. AutoZone does not. (the two I know from local).

-K

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you've got an Advance Auto Parts nearby, they carry it. AutoZone does not. (the two I know from local).

-K

I've got both, so I'll check the advance auto parts first. Thanks!

Bluegill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This should be something I should be able to figure out, but no luck so far. My drivers side door develops a bad squeak when opening and closing it. I've tried spraying white lithium grease from an aerosol can on it. It's works for about 5-7 days, then the squeak comes back.

Had someone suggest oil first, then coat it with grease after oiling. Tried it, same result.

Is the hinge just shot? The door doesn't sag or anything, and nothing looks worn on the hinge. Only 28,000 miles in this rig, what else can I try?
Yup, it’s a known issue. Just got my 2014 back from dealer for some recalls and I see my entire hinge area is loaded with some kind of white grease from them. Unfortunately it still squeaks.

js12278

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you get done using Fluid Film on your door hinges, go ahead and spray it anywhere you see rust. It will stop it in its tracks.
If you live in an area where they salt the roads, consider coating the underside of your vehicles with Fluid Film or Woolwax. Both are awesome products!

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
This should be something I should be able to figure out, but no luck so far. My drivers side door develops a bad squeak when opening and closing it. I've tried spraying white lithium grease from an aerosol can on it. It's works for about 5-7 days, then the squeak comes back.

Had someone suggest oil first, then coat it with grease after oiling. Tried it, same result.

Is the hinge just shot? The door doesn't sag or anything, and nothing looks worn on the hinge. Only 28,000 miles in this rig, what else can I try?

Our 2014 had same issue. Tried several products. Wd40, white lithium spray grease etc.. I happened to have a can of rv slide out silicone lubricant spray for our rv and decided to give it a try. Used it about a Two months ago and still no squeak.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I didn't know it was a fairly spread issue. My 2014 does the same. WD-40 didn't do the trick. I'll try some of the tips shown above.

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

Rv slide out silicone spray worked and still working after one spray on our 2014 drivers door. Going on two months and no squeak

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After many failed attempts, I tried garage door track lube. Works for 6 months.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the answer. Just a little spray of your choice of lube on top of this part will do the trick for a couple months. No reason to coat every moving part in there.

That is the part, and others, that I have been spraying with white lithium grease, only to have it squeak within 10 days again.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've tried just about every lubricant I can find and garage door lube seems to be the best.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All are great ideas that worked for a lot of people. I will also add, I had the same issue. I used WD-40 Dry Lube. It doesn’t attract dirt or dust and it keeps a dry film on the moving parts. It doesn’t get all over your clothes if you accidentally touch it with your clothes. It worked good for me.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Lithium is what is used by most OEM. It's what I use, and do so yearly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me this lasts 10 days.

I think what is happening is the roller moves on the post, up or down, and thats when it starts squeaking. There seems to be a "sweet spot" where the roller rides the post without making any noise, regardless of what you use to lube it.

Opening and closing the door will cause the roller to shift slightly, Ive also noticed it happens 100% of the time if you happen to grab the door as you are getting out of the truck (for support, etc).

So I dont think its a lack of lubrication as much as it is *something* with the roller/post of the hinge. I believe the post is 7mm diameter where the roller sits. Was thinking of making some sort of plastic c-shaped spacer to put between the roller and the top of the post, to force the roller to sit in the "sweet spot".

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
You have to get in the roller than, not just on the out side

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member