Dang squeaky door hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I tell ya, using that bike chain lube i listed i haven't had to add anything else since ive done that in like i cant remember when!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The minor door squeak just lets my surroundings know that 500 horses are about to let loose. Because it is actually a truck, and not a Cadillac.

Last edited:

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
My 2011 was real bad on the driver's door. Picked up some dry lube with Teflon by PB Blaster at the Home Depot for around $6 and it has been quiet and smooth ever since.Comes in a light blue/white can if you are interested.

scoutDad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
White lithium did not work on mine either. Cleaned it with WD-40, then tried some Maxima motorcycle chain wax I had in the garage. Working well for several months, so far.

Ross-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know someone at the company that makes the hinges. The proven solution to eliminate noise is a small squirt of white lithium grease on the inside surface of the roller. Just need to get it between the ID of roller and the OD of roller axle (aka pin). Don’t spray it everywhere as that does nothing. Should be done every 6 months and the noise will be gone.
I saw a comment about finding the sweet spot and blocking the roller from moving up/down. Don’t do it. The roller must move up/down like that.

Octane

Reaction score
You could jamb a small roll pin between the roller and the shaft to stop the roller from turning and making noise.lol

Daddyhas2boys

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just replace the hinge, I did mine and cost about 65 bucks for the hinge at the dealer...im about to do the rear door also both on drivers side...takes about 30 minutes to put it in yourself...

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
This should be something I should be able to figure out, but no luck so far. My drivers side door develops a bad squeak when opening and closing it. I've tried spraying white lithium grease from an aerosol can on it. It's works for about 5-7 days, then the squeak comes back.

Had someone suggest oil first, then coat it with grease after oiling. Tried it, same result.

Is the hinge just shot? The door doesn't sag or anything, and nothing looks worn on the hinge. Only 28,000 miles in this rig, what else can I try?

blackram446

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He I 5.7
This should be something I should be able to figure out, but no luck so far. My drivers side door develops a bad squeak when opening and closing it. I've tried spraying white lithium grease from an aerosol can on it. It's works for about 5-7 days, then the squeak comes back.

Had someone suggest oil first, then coat it with grease after oiling. Tried it, same result.

Is the hinge just shot? The door doesn't sag or anything, and nothing looks worn on the hinge. Only 28,000 miles in this rig, what else can I try?

I had same problem and dealership put a ton of grease on the mechanism, lasted a few days. Decided to fix it myself, removed all the grease and tried WD40 which only worked for a day or so. Ended up using engine oil from an old fashioned oil can, lubricated the shaft that the roller rides on. Squeak gone, I give it a little shot every time I change the oil/filter. Hasn't squeaked in years. 2013 1500

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stop leaning on the door to get in, most times it’s something you do unconsciously but that’ll start making the plastic roller pinch and go out of round and then water gets in there and causing it to dry out as it’ll collect dirt and therefore dust and viola’ Squeak,

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I used fluid film and it works great, you only have to use it on roller pin on top not the hinge itself make sure it gets down in there
I used the fluid film too when it was just a slight creak and it went right away never to return. That was 5yrs ago. But it wasnt real loud. I did all doors and hood hinges as well some electrical connections I could reach easy enough. Love the stuff-but it doesnt like rubber (it will make it swell) so stay away from weatherstripping and boots probably.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Great video--thats exactly where i spray the fluid film. As he says, you dont want to gunk it up everywhere or it will look like the dogs breakfast.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I am going to make a small spacer to keep the roller lifted up. I slid it up and the noise went away immediately. Been almost a week now and seen that in a video from Big Daddy's House that is so simple.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I used the fluid film too when it was just a slight creak and it went right away never to return. That was 5yrs ago. But it wasnt real loud. I did all doors and hood hinges as well some electrical connections I could reach easy enough. Love the stuff-but it doesnt like rubber (it will make it swell) so stay away from weatherstripping and boots probably.
This is false, fluid film do not cause rubber to swell. It's perfectly safe for rubber.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
If you can't find fluid film, Lloyd's ad2000 & ad3000 are basicly the same thing. The difference between 2000 and 3000 is thickness/viscosity

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk