Darn that Dave Smith Dodge Ram in Idaho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MidTennMtneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
West Virginia is 6%. Don’t pay on trade in. So credit essentially. You only pay the tax on your purchase price minus your trade in.

I’ve gotten vehicles in VA, NC, and TN as well and it’s all been done through WV DMV for title processing and the correct 6% tax. Usually just takes an extra few weeks if you buy out of state.

I’ve never not had a trade in though except once so I’d never be able to go out to Idaho to make a good deal with them. I could sell mine privately but I’ve never paid a vehicle off either so makes that harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
I bought my CC 6'4" bed 2018 Laramie Ecodiesel from Dave Smith and had it shipped to Hawaii. The transaction was hassle and pain free - all mostly via email and a few phone calls to close on the deal. They fed ex'd some documents over to me to sign and had a prepaid fed ex envelope for me to overnight it back to them.

I was very impressed by their customer service and inventory.

Funny thing is when I picked my truck up at the pier, I saw 4 other Rams that were wearing the bright pink Dave Smith license plates waiting to get picked up... and that's just what I saw walking to my truck.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK, if you start with an MSRP of $55,000 and take 31% off, that gets you down to $37,950, roughly. If you trade a vehicle in and/or do your loan with them, and they add either an extended warranty and other junk fees, they'll be back to $55,000.

But if you could go there with your checkbook and write a check for $37,950 plus tax, that'd be a decent deal.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
OK, if you start with an MSRP of $55,000 and take 31% off, that gets you down to $37,950, roughly. If you trade a vehicle in and/or do your loan with them, and they add either an extended warranty and other junk fees, they'll be back to $55,000.

But if you could go there with your checkbook and write a check for $37,950 plus tax, that'd be a decent deal.
I got 33% off but I had to pay tax on $55k msrp truck

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
no, it had something to do with the discounts applied but I still had to pay taxes on msrp prior to discounts

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats the first time I've ever heard of paying taxes on money you didn't spend.

Sounds like one of those junk fees I mentioned earlier. I guarentee that money went right in the dealership's pocket.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thats the first time I've ever heard of paying taxes on money you didn't spend.

Sounds like one of those junk fees I mentioned earlier. I guarentee that money went right in the dealership's pocket.
No. His discounted price was based entirely on rebates and discount coupons, rather than a negotiated sale price. In essence, the dealer sold the truck to him at full MSRP and used all available rebates to get down to the sale price. As with any coupon (which is what a rebate is), you pay sales tax on the full price (or whatever sale price you negotiate), then the rebates are applied.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^I don't doubt you one bit.

That still sounds like a stupid way of buying a vehicle. Dealers..... what do you do?

When I bought my last 3 vehicles, they tried to give me that line of BS. "Oh, you get X Plan pricing and yada, yada, yackity schmackity". I told them "Just give the number I'm going to write on the check". I'm not good at putting up with BS.