Dash cam hardware install fuses?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey folks!

Finally got a dash cam (thinkware f200) however, some of the features like parking mode and motion don’t work unless it’s hardwired.

I picked up a kit yesterday and was hoping you guys can help me

I need a constant fuse to use with my tap and a switch to use. I’ll prob use cig lighter for switched but what’s a safe fuse to tap into for constant that wing interfere with any safety features etc?

Thanks [emoji18]

60% of the time it works every time....

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don't have a good recommendation for existing but maybe consider the option of an entirely new circuit, fuse an all, for your dash cam. Somewhat of a pita but often can be no more hassle then tapping an existing circuit and there are benefits, especially if having to troubleshoot either truck or camera circuits, separate can be a lot easier.

Sorry I don't have an existing circuit as an option, somebody will offer up an solid location.

The electrical is one system on my truck I have yet to jump in the middle of, aside from plug and play connectors, I feel the aux switch / fuse mod lurking in the shadows tho.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Tap the other 12v port, one is switched, one is constant

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you good sir! So the other 12v (USB) on dash is a constant ? I just have to find the location now... hopefully it’s marked on the box

And to confirm we don’t have a fuse panel inside the cab right? Under the steering wheel?

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok. I suck at electrical and this case is no different.

Installed with fuse tap and without (wrapping wire around fuse prong)

Neither worked [emoji2369]. Ignition I used cig lighter and constant the horn. I couldn’t find the fuse for the in dash USB constant.

What am I doing wrong?

I had to extend the wires as the kit was too short and used but connectors. Could that be the reason ?

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Addicted2fishing when i bought my truck i took it to a car stereo shop and they wired it up for me. i had to wire it up to a keyed source. was less than $75

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
how's your ground? Any paint or other non conductive material at your ground?

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
how's your ground? Any paint or other non conductive material at your ground?

There is a bolt under the dash I used. Appears to be on the body. There may be paint. I’ll have to check. That may be the culprit [emoji2369]. I did everything right except maybe that? It’s almost 97f during the afternoon and I was sweating my bag off and getting it in my eyes lol. I’ll try in the morning tomorrow when it’s not so warm and humid

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a Mirror Tap. Simple to do. No wires to cut or mess with. No running wires from under the dash. I had one made with a Mini USB for my Dash cam and an RJ11 for my Radar Detector. Worth every penny. https://www.mirrortap.com/index.html

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Get a Mirror Tap. Simple to do. No wires to cut or mess with. No running wires from under the dash. I had one made with a Mini USB for my Dash cam and an RJ11 for my Radar Detector. Worth every penny. https://www.mirrortap.com/index.html

Thanks! I’ll look into this.

Today despite the heat I was out there trying again..... Found the fuse locations. Tested the power on the positive side of the fuse tap and it had power. Wires leading to the unit had power. However, the unit had no power [emoji2369]. Makes no sense.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Thanks! I’ll look into this.

Today despite the heat I was out there trying again..... Found the fuse locations. Tested the power on the positive side of the fuse tap and it had power. Wires leading to the unit had power. However, the unit had no power [emoji2369]. Makes no sense.

Did you get this working?

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No! I tried everything.

Today I got new wiring, in-line fuses and I’ll just make my own using their plug. If that doesn’t work I’ll keep using my cig lighter plug and lose half the features like parking mode etc.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Question.

If I plug my power source to the constant in the centre console would that trick the camera into thinking it hardwired ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I plug my power source to the constant in the centre console would that trick the camera into thinking it hardwired ?
Unless there is a separate terminal that the camera gets wired for being "hardwired", then the camera can only know if it has 12V or not. Most likely the manufacturer is referring being "hardwired" as a constant 12V so the answer to your question would be yes. Features like Parking Mode, and motion detect need constant 12V

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452