Dash Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy Kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I am new to this whole forum thing but thought I would give it a try. I am looking for a replacement upper dash cover, So far all I can find is the glue on or stick on covers. My dash is too bad to put a "band aid" on it. The dealer wants almost 700 dollars for the cover. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know how someone can tell if you have a 2001 Dodge pickup? The upper dash is now in the bottom of the dash.

I bought my upper dash pad from the dealer way back when. Luckily, a local dealership matched Dave Smith's price so I didn't have to pay for shipping, but it was still expensive. But they wanted $600 for labor to do the job.

@MADDOG's right. LMC Truck sells them now for less than $300. I wish they had them when I replaced mine. From their listing, it seems like it is better quality than what came from the factory.

Good luck to you if you do it yourself. It's not easy. And if the truck is on any sort of incline, chock the wheels good. Don't ask me how I know. All I can say is that my 4x4 ATV couldn't pull the truck back into the driveway all the way.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That was an issue with some of the 2nd gen trucks. When I had my 1995, I purchased an "original dashmat" for it when it was new. I never had a problem with the dash cracking, don't know if the cover helped or not, but the current owner of it kept the cover on it, and still no cracks or damage to this day. Maybe just lucky, but I do believe in the "dash mats".

OP
OP
Jeremy Kellogg

Jeremy Kellogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for the help. I found it on LMC. I am going to attempt it myself, Ive pulled many dashboards out in the past doing heater cores so I am hoping I don't have too many issues.

Reactions: Mop

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I changed mine with an LMC dash about 4 yrs ago. There is several videos on YouTube and Stacy David from the show gears did a video as well.

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
I'm also having this issue on my 96 Ram 1500. You mentioned it being too bad to put a cover on? Mine has several cracks but it looks like a cover may work. How do you know when it's too far gone?

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Mine was to far gone when pieces started falling apart. I cleaned out several that had fell completely through when putting the new dash top on

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also having this issue on my 96 Ram 1500. You mentioned it being too bad to put a cover on? Mine has several cracks but it looks like a cover may work. How do you know when it's too far gone?

If it's cracking, it's too far gone. Pieces will be falling down inside, I would say, in less than a year or two. Even less time if you drive on rough roads. A cover will only keep you from watching it deteriorate in real time, and pieces falling in will leave less to hold the cover up.

I got this wild idea when I put my new dash pad in, to line the underside with Dynomat just in case the new one fell apart, too. It would at least hold the pieces together so as not to look so unsightly. The only thing I was worried about was how it might hold heat in the dash, but I didn't have problems with it. That was probably an expensive addition thinking back on it now. Maybe I could have just used some good tape or something.

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
So what's the best way to tackle this then? Just a total dash swap out? I've heard mixed opinions on how difficult that is to do. What are your thoughts for those of you who have done this before? Thanks!

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doing it yourself or not depends on what you are willing to pay. IIRC, my dealer wanted about $600 labor to do it, and that was over 10 years ago so it's probably more now.

You probably don't need a whole dash if it's only the top cracking. That part is called the upper dash pad, and it is a separate piece from the rest of the dash. The problem with replacing it is the whole dash has to rotate out onto your front seats, but the dash rests on two pins at the bottom on the ends so you don't have to take it out completely.

Doing it by yourself can be a handful. It would be better with two because the dash is heavy, and you can work on both sides at once. The Haynes manual has all the instructions, but you'll be flipping back and forth from section to section because of all that's involved, e.g. disabling air bags, dropping steering column, disconnecting the gear indicator, etc. If I had it to do over again, I would make copies of all the sections I needed. Set aside a whole day to do it. It's actually not difficult, just time consuming and you'll need some strength to rotate it back into place and hold it there while you bolt it back in.

boochamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L V8
Thanks RodeoRam, that's some good detailed info. I appreciate it

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 01 1500 dash finally was beyond duck tape. I had to clean some of the tape residue off because it was around the outside edge where the glue for the new dash cover went. Got my dash cover and bezel from Coverlay. Fit good. You got to be sure you have your cracked dash taped and glued tight so it wont rattle under your new cover.

Reactions: Mop

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I’m in the middle of a dash swap out now. Bought a “new” under dash on eBay pricey. I paid $687 for mine). I bought a new top dash from LMC Truck.
I’ll be getting it back in this weekend. Been a longer road than I had imagined. Replaced all my vent doors with doors from Blend Door USA. Also replaced the actuators with mopar actuators. Blend Door did not recommend after market actuators...
Some pics:

83d93e34ea28a2607444701a940c74f1.jpg
c954c35a8dae478bb76f5c006f342200.jpg
111d19cf7890fda0da5b62b914ef6b8a.jpg
7cb6ffa53a7691e162773722199c2da9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk