Dash Dimer Switch - dead band area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blair Stunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dash dimer rotary switch issue. From total dim setting the rotary switch is fairly linear in increasing the brightness until about 3/4 of the way through it's travel. The last 1/4 of travel instantly causing the dash display to jump to full brightness with no change.

Is this common with other Rams?

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I noticed mine did that too.
Don't know if that is normal. I hope not because I like my dash in between the brightness it gives.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So today I was coming home and it was dark. So I decided to adjust the brightness and it definitely barely does anything as i roll up the dial from dark to light.
Then all of a sudden like you say, maybe about 3/4 up, everything goes to full bright.
There is no change in between that 3/4 mark and full bright.
You hit 3/4 going down and it gets dim, but you hit 3/4 going up and nothing changes between 3/4 and full bright.

OP
OP
Blair Stunder

Blair Stunder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, sounds like it's the same issue. I prefer the dash just a bit brighter than the 3/4 setting. I'll have the dealer look at it when it goes in for the first service.

bobbo7915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
i think this is sort of intentional, it takes the radio from night mode to daylight mode. there is sort of a detent when this happens at the top of the dial. i have been messing with it because i find the dash not bright enough when i have my wipers on and the headlights come on during the day. can barely see the screen when this happens.

Mehgyver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
unfortunately its just the way the switch works. Its awful, there's almost no change as you scroll it then bam its like staring into the sun.

jdolotina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I too get annoyed with how dark the dash gets when the wipers are on. I even thought about living with the dash lights pegged at full brightness even at night, but the accent lighting under the leather dash and above the upper glove box will not turn on at night. The dash lights should be able to work off the light sensor and not dim if still bright outside. Other manufacturers seem to have this problem figured out.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I too get annoyed with how dark the dash gets when the wipers are on. I even thought about living with the dash lights pegged at full brightness even at night, but the accent lighting under the leather dash and above the upper glove box will not turn on at night. The dash lights should be able to work off the light sensor and not dim if still bright outside. Other manufacturers seem to have this problem figured out.
I haven't driven my new Limited in the rain yet. Not because I won't, just because I've only had the truck for four days and it hasn't rained yet LOL. I never noticed an issue with that in my previous truck though(2020 Laramie).

demech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I notice the same problem with my 22 Laramie 1500. Once you hit the detent the 12" goes full bright. I wish the display cluster could be brighter at night without effecting the 12".