Dash Light Dimmer Circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yep, that is correct.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, that’s the one I use to charge my phone

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
So the armrest won't work then, it looks to be battery-hot. the one in the front of the console looks to be ignition-hot, that's the one you want if you want the switch lights to come on with the truck.

What do you mean by "armrest"? I'm looking for a "battery hot" lead.... ?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean by "armrest"? I'm looking for a "battery hot" lead.... ?

The power "inside" the upper console is HOT all the time, the power in the lower cubby for phone charging is HOT with ignition. Kinda depends what you want the power for and when you want it.

In my case I wanted HOT with ignition as I was only going to use this for the LED backlighting (pin 6 not pin 2)

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Since I was running wires through the firewall shift linkage plate, the rotary knob power is easier to grab. I have a split bench so I'm not adding switches to the console. I may add an AEV switch pod but I'll still run the power from the rotary knob.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
The power "inside" the upper console is HOT all the time, the power in the lower cubby for phone charging is HOT with ignition. Kinda depends what you want the power for and when you want it.

In my case I wanted HOT with ignition as I was only going to use this for the LED backlighting (pin 6 not pin 2)

Yea, that ignition controlled power outlet in the cubby is ridiculous! That outlet which is there for phones obviously, should be hot all the time so you can charge a phone when the truck is off. Your not going to kill the battery charging a cell phone! I've been contemplating re-wiring that outlet so it's always hot.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to bring all my wiring in from under the hood, that way I have one harness with all my wiring bundled for my AEV switch pod.

jouart

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Yea, that ignition controlled power outlet in the cubby is ridiculous! That outlet which is there for phones obviously, should be hot all the time so you can charge a phone when the truck is off. Your not going to kill the battery charging a cell phone! I've been contemplating re-wiring that outlet so it's always hot.
I couldn’t agree more. It’s on my list when the weather gets better and I have time. Did you get yours done ?

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Fun fact, a wildly easier circuit to tap into for the dash lights is off the back of the trailer brake controller. No need to go to the other side of the dash to the headlight switch if you’re working behind the radio.

OP
OP
R

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Fun fact, a wildly easier circuit to tap into for the dash lights is off the back of the trailer brake controller. No need to go to the other side of the dash to the headlight switch if you’re working behind the radio.

It depends on where you're mounting your switches and where you wiring originates from. My switches are mounted directly below the headlight knob.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0

What if you don't have a "trailer brake controller"? ;)

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
You still have the harness

oh, ok good point. ;)

Speaking of the "Trailer Brake controller", what does it do? I understand it has something to do with the brakes on a trailer you are pulling, but what? I saw the controller on a few trucks I looked at, and could not figure out what it did nor could any of the sales dudes tell me. It is two little knobs sticking out with a spring load between them???

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
oh, ok good point. ;)

Speaking of the "Trailer Brake controller", what does it do? I understand it has something to do with the brakes on a trailer you are pulling, but what? I saw the controller on a few trucks I looked at, and could not figure out what it did nor could any of the sales dudes tell me. It is two little knobs sticking out with a spring load between them???

Pinch knob, applies trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Pinch knob, applies trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you "pinch" them together to apply the brakes on the trailer? That seems a bit weird, you have to take a hand off the wheel, and how do you really know how much pressure to apply...?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, you "pinch" them together to apply the brakes on the trailer? That seems a bit weird, you have to take a hand off the wheel, and how do you really know how much pressure to apply...?

The trailer brakes are applied automatically (and in proportion to) when you apply the truck's brakes. The "pinch to brake" aspect of the controller is for when you need to apply just the trailer brakes, which is sometimes needed to correct an instability or sway in a trailer.

-K

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
The trailer brakes are applied automatically (and in proportion to) when you apply the truck's brakes. The "pinch to brake" aspect of the controller is for when you need to apply just the trailer brakes, which is sometimes needed to correct an instability or sway in a trailer.

-K

ohhhhhhhhh! Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up for me, always wondered that.

Reactions: kad