Dashboard reflection in windshield causes "haze" in view

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something that bothers me at times while driving on sunny days is that there is a lot of reflection of the dashboard in my windshield that clouds the view out the windshield. This is noticeable when passing under an overpass where the "haze" suddenly disappears to a clear view. It's not road glare - it's the top of the dashboard reflecting off the windshield back towards the driver. The brighter and more overhead the sunlight is the worse the reflection is. I think it's due to the choice of plastic used in the dash that is simply too shiny.

Anyone else noticed this? Is there anything that can be done about it? (I would rather not stick anything (dash cover, etc.) to my dash if possible.)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have OEM dash cover just sitting on my dash board
I had it on my 2009 Ram & now it is on my 2016 Ram
Both Rams have had the ALPINE speakers
I never taped it down, even though the cover has the stuff to stick it down

1630304086279.png

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Dash mat FTW! I was amazed at the reduction in glare on the windshield.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also have a Dash Mat, and it really cuts down on the glare. I didn't tape mine down either, and it stays put just fine.

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Just a thought has anyone put anything on the dash to clean it that also increases the shine, like armeral or other "plastic protectant".

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am amazed at how hot the dash gets up by the defrost vent when parked in the sun. I swear it gets hot enough to melt. For that reason alone I am thinking of getting a dash mat.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I clean mine with chemical guys 303 protectant. It's easy to do, is not shiny like armor all and prevents fade from UV.

I don't use a dash mat, and am not opposed to one, just don't feel I need

704HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Now that someone else has pointed it out - I've noticed it as well. I've been poking at the idea of the dash mat also because of how hot the thing gets.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have OEM dash cover just sitting on my dash board
I had it on my 2009 Ram & now it is on my 2016 Ram
Both Rams have had the ALPINE speakers
I never taped it down, even though the cover has the stuff to stick it down

Did it help reduce that reflection I'm talking about - or do you now see the dash cover reflecting in your windshield?

Besides the shiny dash material I think this problem is also due to the windshield angle in our trucks being ~45 degrees. We're getting sort of a perfectly aimed "projector TV" view of the top of the dash in the windshield. Not a huge deal but on some very bright days it does interfere with a clear view of the road. (I wear good sunglasses but it doesn't help this "dash reflection" issue).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this and what - if anything - you did about it.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought has anyone put anything on the dash to clean it that also increases the shine, like armeral or other "plastic protectant".
That's possible. I went to a hand car wash awhile back (usually I wash it myself). I've also noticed the dash is kinda sticky - so yeah, something has been put on it by someone (not me).

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clean the inside of the windshield and buy yourself a good pair of polarized sunglasses.
Yep, already do those things. It's not a dirty window or road glare - it's a reflection of the dashboard in the windshield. If something is sitting on top of the dash I see it in the windshield out in front of me.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yep, already do those things. It's not a dirty window or road glare
Sounds like you need a better pair of polarized sunglasses.
Without getting into a technical discussion about the what/how they work, this video shows how they should work to when they're "out of phase" to the glare

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
303 is great for cleaning and preserving.
I also have a non-fastened dash mat on my trucks. It stops the glare, but there are conditions where it will appear like a glare does, but you only see the carpet nubs, no glare.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I never use anything on the dash for one ... doing so stain your windshield because whatever you put on the dashboard will eventually evaporate and end up on the inside of your windshield ... only thing I ever clean my dash with is a damp cloth

But for me the glare is very minimal because I ended up tinting my windshield and I use Oakley polarized glasses as well .... without the glasses and the ting SOB does the glare fawk me up !!!!

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the dash mat to protect the dash. In my previous 2nd gen truck I had blue interior, so I purchased a blue dash mat that matched almost perfectly. I would get a "reflection" back from the color of that mat, but I kept it to protect the dash itself. With the current truck and black interior I went with a black dash mat, again more to protect the dash. If you do set stuff on your dash, they also help to keep items from sliding around.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was driving about and went to back into a spot. Drivers mirror was obscured by reflection of the AC vent and headlight switch. Weird.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you need a better pair of polarized sunglasses.
Without getting into a technical discussion about the what/how they work, this video shows how they should work to when they're "out of phase" to the glare
Thanks for the link - that's what I'm seeing. Now, I have a pair of Oakleys - I bought at Oakley - so I know they're not fake. It helps but not as good as shown here. Maybe they are defective? IDK Will try something else.

BTW - car windows themselves are typically polarized. I can see polarization "zebra" patterns in the side windows (by tilting my head with my Oakleys on) but I do not see it in the windshield. Maybe RAM skipped/missed a step here and did not treat the windshields - or maybe certain batches?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, exactly! And in my truck that reflection covers the entire windshield with an image of the top of the dashboard that makes my view of the road "clouded/hazy".

It is not just a RAM truck thing - I see it in other cars too - but for some reason in my truck it is VERY noticeable. Again, I think it's partly due to the angle of the windshield that directs that reflection directly into the driver's eyes (rather than above or below).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn