Dave Smith Motors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I’ve seen some people in here get their new ride from Dave Smith in Idaho and thought I would check them out. They’ve got a huge selection on ‘19 Rams there, but I also saw a lot of negative reviews recently.
Does anyone have any experience with Dave Smith or dealt with them recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14 Lonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t like the fact that they can’t even show the price of the trucks. Just another way to get your information and probably hound you constantly.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
I don’t like the fact that they can’t even show the price of the trucks. Just another way to get your information and probably hound you constantly.

I went shopping years ago for a honda civic. Salesman didn't even give me a price. He says if you buy it today then I'll give you a price. I've never wasted time to put idiots in their place. Until I bought one from another dealer. I did make a visit to show him how to sell a car. Lol

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I actually bought my truck from DSM and had it shipped. I had a hassle free experience. I could get relatively close at one AZ dealer, but had to spend hours wading through slime to get there, and I just knew they'd dream up something by the time the truck came in, so I chose DSM. But, when my buddy tried to get his 1500, a different AZ dealer actually blew DSM out of the water by a wide margin. I later found out that DSM was bought out by a mega dealer out of TX, and their pricing has apparently changed.

OP
OP
R

ragsy1083

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually bought my truck from DSM and had it shipped. I had a hassle free experience. I could get relatively close at one AZ dealer, but had to spend hours wading through slime to get there, and I just knew they'd dream up something by the time the truck came in, so I chose DSM. But, when my buddy tried to get his 1500, a different AZ dealer actually blew DSM out of the water by a wide margin. I later found out that DSM was bought out by a mega dealer out of TX, and their pricing has apparently changed.

It seems like since they were bought out, more and more bad reviews starting popping up. Too bad to see it end up that way. I personally like dealing with small dealerships over mega dealerships/auto groups anyways

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of you Idaho and surrounding area guys check out Dennis Dillon? I looked at a bunch of their Rams and they’re all a minimum of $10K off MSRP with additional discounts up to $12-13K off. I heard nothing but good things about them.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I’ve bought two trucks from Dave Smith over the last couple years. Typical slimy dealer bs but if your decent at negotiating a great deal can be made. I wouldn’t count on them for **** after the sale but out the door prices were pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I know a couple of friends that have purchased from both of these Idaho discount dealers. Both claim they got deep discounts that they could not get from Ca dealers. They claim the pain was worth the price. Fly to Idaho to pick up and drive back to Ca. The one that bought from Dennis Dillion says, the dealer is now using a 3rd party DMV agent that handles the Ca DMV hassle. The other said it took him 4 mos to get transfer title and plates out of DMV.

alow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked to DSM twice. Not a bad experience but I didnt buy either time. The most recent, they did not price match Dennis Dillon. My local dealer matched DD so I went with them and I got a great deal locally. I'll likely look them up next time I'm in the market but I wont be surprised if it doesn't happen.

jimsummers74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I got quotes for the exact model I wanted from DAve Smith w/out any hassles. Then I presented it to a small East Texas TX dealer and he blew DS's price out of the water and gave me a $4000 FCA discount that DS didn't mention.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
For many years now I have used the inter web to negotiate my trucks and TT's. Works well and usually my local dealers will end up matching the cheapest price. The only exception is extended warranties (Chrysler) which I purchase online.

macmov

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 4500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think I got an OK deal from DSM. I was in the market for a 4500 4x4 c&c 84 ctc. I found not many dealers had them. What I did find is nobody wanted to give me crap for my '16 5500 with 250k on it for a trade in. DSM gave me 7k more then the next highest quote. I was convinced once I got up there they were going to pull something, but I was wrong. Trade in went straight smooth. I really didn't want to haggle about price too much at that point in fear of losing the deal. So again I think I did OK. I'd go back if need be.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I almost bought my 14 From Dave smith, but I found the exact same truck in Huntington Beach for the same price so I saved my self 16 Hours of drive time and got it. I often look at Dennis Dillion to get a handle on prices when thinking of a new vehicle.

I also look at this place.

https://www.saltlakevalleychryslerdodgeramjeep.com/

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
A buddy of mine last year, bought a Limited 2500 from DSM. He lives in Georgia and said that the price in Idaho, plus airfare there and driving it home was cheaper than anyone around him would offer. I find that hard to believe, but he did it and he's a pretty shrewd businessman so he wouldn't have done it if the price wasn't right.

I priced trucks at DSM for my truck and they were as good as anyone, but my local dealer matched so went with them.

ChaoT1C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had chats and emails with DSM, they refuse to give me a price unless I give them my info. Last time I did and told them not to call me unless I pursued the conversation they continued to call me multiple times a day for a few weeks. Wasn't worth the time in my opinion.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
If a dealer does not list their price on their site I don't waste my time calling them. There is one dealer that had a few I was interested in but no price listed. Never did call them. I hate the process of buying a new vehicle so if you make it any more difficult than it has to be then I walk.