DDM Tuning HID Ballasts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching the forums for a while on which HID kit to get for my 2016 Ram Sport. I have the halogen projectors. I also have AlphaOBD.

From all the searches I have done, it seems everyone has installed the DDM Tuning Plus Canbus ballasts with no issues.

I opened a ticket with DDM asking what is the appropriate kit for my year Ram was and they came back with the DDM Ultra which I thought didn't work. Here is the reply...

Robert,

Thank you for inquiring about our HID kits for your vehicle.

For your vehicle, you would want to use the Ultra Canbus kit. This would be the most beneficial as Ram's are extremely picky when it comes to aftermarket HID systems. The bulb type is 9005 and will adapt directly to the headlight.

Does this mean both the Plus and Ultra work now and have updated the Ultra ballast?

When I check their web page description, they list the identical info under confirmed fitment.

Confirmed fitment for following vehicles:

I removed non FCA related.

Chrysler 300
Dodge Charger, Challenger, Magnum (Please use Canbus 35W only)
Dodge Ram: Single Beam kits (Please use Canbus 35W only)
Jeep: Most Single Beam Kits

The only difference is the ballast description where the Plus specifically states:

Works with even the most difficult of vehicles, including the Dodge's.

But the Ultra description only goes into its ASIC based at 250HZ frequency.

So based on their reply, do the Ultras work?
Does anyone have the Ultra installed?

Thanks,

Rob

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The plus works flawlessly and is cheaper, even if the ultras work their just trying to upsale you.

OP
OP
R

Rob_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The plus works flawlessly and is cheaper, even if the ultras work their just trying to upsale you.
Thank you Dmopar74,

I kind of thought so as I saw a post in a different forum saying the ultra worked in their 2016 and DDM's description for tested vehicles are identical.

Appreciate the response.

OP
OP
R

Rob_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up ordering the DDM Tuning Ultra Canbus HID kit with 5500k bulbs based on their recommendations.

I also bought pre-drilled dust covers from Brightsource.ca. they are supposed be deeper than stock.

Also got DDM Saber 9005/6 LEDs for the Fogs.

Will be posting pics.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I too emailed them and they recommend the plus or the ultras, says the ultras are Philips ballasts or something and both bulb and ballast's last longer.
You guys still think the plus version is better off?
I see alot go with 5500kv or higher, any reason not to go 4500kv? A tad less white but may be better all around weather driving maybe.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with the DDM ultra with 5500k bulbs.... switched the bulbs out for the 4500k. Much better all around weather color temp for me.
5500k was to white/edge of blue depending on what it was reflecting off of, and wasn’t good in wet weather for me