Dead 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Greetings,

I'm new to the forum.

So here is my issue, I have a 2012 ram 2500, the only upgrades I've done are cold air intake and DPF,EGR delete and tuned with a raceme tuner. A couple of weeks ago I was out and about and ran into a store, when I came out I went to start my truck, it literally fired up for a split second and then died on me. When I turned the key to restart it it wouldn't crank, in fact I didn't get the squiggly icon for the heater box, it only showed the fuel pump icon. I had it towed to a shop, the guy told me that it was more than likely the ECU went out. They ordered a new ECU and the place they ordered it from stated the first one was bad and they would have to ship a second one. Fast forward to this week and they got it installed in the truck and told me it must be bad also, because none of their diagnostic computers would read it... They told me that they were troubleshooting it with the supplier. Anybody have this issue before?

I remember about a year ago, I had an issue with the truck not wanting to start or show the heater box icon and there was a guy on YouTube that stated if you remove the ignition from the dash you can spray the circuit board with an electronic cleaner and it would allow your truck to start as normal. I'm wondering that the ignition maybe the reason for them not being able to connect their diagnostic computers.... Just a thought... Curious to see if anybody else has ever had this problem. My truck has been out of commission for 30 days now and I miss her.....

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If these are new ECMs I would be really leary of this shop, to have two bad ones in a row is sorta like lightning striking twice in the same spot.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd find a new shop, sounds like this one is grasping at straws....

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did they have to ship your original ECU out for a core?

The way you are describing things makes me think that the problem is ignition related, something not getting power.

Ignition components do wear out, and things we do, such as heavy key rings, etc., can make contacts go wonky.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just take the 2 screws out of the panel under the steering wheel and pull it off. Then unscrew the key ignition and unplug it. Open it with the side tabs and spray it with electrical cleaner and run a swab around it. Put it all back together and back in and it should be good.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did they have to ship your original ECU out for a core?

The way you are describing things makes me think that the problem is ignition related, something not getting power.

Ignition components do wear out, and things we do, such as heavy key rings, etc., can make contacts go wonky.
^^^ DITTO ^^^ Sounds like ignition, internet guessnosis at it's best.

OP
OP
F

flram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Thanks for all the input. I'm gonna run by the shop Monday and clean the ignition myself..... Thanks again!! I'll post an update.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I had a problem with my deleted 2011 while moving my mother into assisted living in Missouri. I had loaded some of her furniture into a Uhaul trailer to take back to CO and the evening before our departure I fueled the truck up and immediately after I left the gas station it started running rough. I was perplexed because no CEL. I left the truck hitched to the trailer at mom's duplex she was moving from and had my brother take my wife and I by to get our truck to head home, and voila, no start. I stupidly had it towed to the local Ram dealer and they diagnosed it as a faulty ECU because their scanner couldn't link with it. I ended up staying a week longer than planned, and they overnighted a new unit from a dealer in St. Louis. Guess what, the truck won't start with the new puter and they are stumped. After looking at the diagnostic tools and scratching their heads for a couple days it magically started and ran. So $4600 and off I go to a private shop to retune my truck, which is another day lost but at least I am on the road home. I make it to Lincoln, NE and the first red light I have to stop at the truck is shaking with rough idle. I decide to try to make it home, and got as far as Kearny, NE and stop for fuel. While idling during fuel up it dies and there it sets at 9PM and I am a nervous wreck. I called somebody who called somebody and got the name of a local diesel shop to have it towed to, and the wife and I check into a hotel and rent a car. This shop immediately finds the problem, and it ain't the ECU. The fuel control actuator (FCA) is caput. Naturally, they kind of bent me over being I had out of state plates on the rig, but the truck is back in the pink. I don't think my ECU was bad, I think the techs at the stealership couldn't hit their ass with their hat. Having said all this, I would really be skeptical about replacing the ECU in your truck, but I might be a little jaded after my debacle.

OP
OP
F

flram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Well an update for today after going by the shop and cleaning the circuit board on the WIN module. Put it all back together and still the same problem..... Turn on the iginiton and no squiggly line for the heater box only a fuel pump icon for stating low fuel.... The tech told me that they can connect to the ecu and see everything from when the truck is unlocked to the gauges but for some reason there is and issue with the truck actually turning over... won't start. They have wiring schematics and are not coming up with any issues except dead on cranking.... More to follow when I hear more... This is really becoming a P.I.T.A.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So a truck is deleted and tuned, this crap happens to bone stock trucks too.

When was the last time fuel filter was changed? Was it an OEM filter? Key fob battery is how old? Seeing how the dealer installed a new ECM, did you reload your tune?