Dead Battery after 3 years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtomicPenguin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else has this issue. A few days ago I got into my truck and when I turned it on the following happened:

-Truck didn't start
-UConnect reverted to default settings and was missing a lot of features
-Climate control only went HI/LO and I was unable to set any temperatures
-Check engine light came on

Previous issues with the truck:
-In July 2022, the UConnect drained the battery trying to do an update.
-Dealership bricked the UConnect unit when trying to update it. It was replaced a few weeks later
-Overhead lights and tailgate release no longer functioned after the dealership replaced the UConnect unit.
-Dealership replaced the control module for over head console.

Troubleshooting:

Knowing the previous problems I figured it was the UConnect again. So here is what I did:

-I followed the steps on how to do a soft reset for the UConnect to hopefully get the update done (if it was UConnect that killed the battery).
-The unit did reset and all the features came back but no update was done.
-Drove the truck to get the battery charged up.
-Noticed that the battery was only able to get up to 14V and then after 10ish minutes it went down to 13.8V. This alarmed me the most so I drove home and put the battery back on the charger.

As a simply test I charged it up to full and then took it off the charger to see if it can hold a charge and the next day it was reading 10VDC. Figured this might be the problem and sure enough it was.

Solution:

Replaced the battery with a new one and read the check engine light status. The OBD2 reader gave me an: P1DF3 error "Power Train System. Replace Transmission Gearshift Selector Assembly". Basically the power train MCU could not read the data fast enough so it throws this error. After reading through the forum someone else had the same error and after replacing the battery it went away and so did mine.

Really not a big fan that RAM put in dodgy battery's but I hope this helps someone else that runs into this problem. If this is a duplicate let me know and I can take this down.

PS: I am tempted to replace the UConnect4 with the updated UConnect5 as this has a feature that forces the user to confirm an update which will help me eliminate the UConnect draining the battery in case it does that again. I really do not like UConnect and would love an alternative that can be used so if anyone has a suggestion I will take a look.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just FYI, dead battery on these RAMS after three years not unheard of. Prob not the norm, but a lot of the batteries are just making 4 years. Just too much electrical running and also depends upon where you be, driving habits, etc. On MY 19 which is 4 years old, my cold start volts at 12.2, instead of 12.4-7 where it should be, so I will be getting a battery soon, LOL. Also, my alternator system according to truck putting out 14.7/8 to battery so I know battery going, just how it is.

Mopar440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (345cid)
Mine went dead just after 5 years (about 2 months ago). No warning, just boom! Wouldn't start. I replaced the battery and good as new, no issues.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just FYI, dead battery on these RAMS after three years not unheard of. Prob not the norm, but a lot of the batteries are just making 4 years. Just too much electrical running and also depends upon where you be, driving habits, etc. On MY 19 which is 4 years old, my cold start volts at 12.2, instead of 12.4-7 where it should be, so I will be getting a battery soon, LOL. Also, my alternator system according to truck putting out 14.7/8 to battery so I know battery going, just how it is.
My stock battery just hit the six year mark. I guess it’s time to just replace it as apparently one of the symptoms to appear is sudden death.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
are there any non-obvious signs to look for. I bought my '19 in august 2018 and all is good so far but you guys making me worry now.

OP
OP
A

AtomicPenguin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are there any non-obvious signs to look for. I bought my '19 in august 2018 and all is good so far but you guys making me worry now.
Honestly the only thing I look at now is the voltage. Cold start it's at 12.2 and running I'm at 14.6ish. I only noticed that when it was at 14 is when I should have taken the hint as well as the odd signs that pointed to it. I think it's just the OEM battery that was in it (Mopar battery) that is the problem child so just pop the hood and see what you got. Maybe you have a new battery from the previous owner?

To be Honest I love the truck, the ride and everything about it and this being my 3rd it was just odd to have these signs point to a dead battery so soon in its life. That is why I posted this to help anyone else that might have issues like I did.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Cold start? Seriously?
You just went there?

Please, speaking on behalf of all Northmen,
we would love to hear all about Texas Cold Starts.

Can we keep this topic going, all Winter?
Then follow it up with Longhorn Football?
Maybe discuss why the SEC is the greatest College Football Conference, in America?
I ever get down to Texas , again, gonna be plucking me some tail feathers, I tell ya.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Everybody needs one of these old school toaster style battery load testers in their tool boxes. Simplicity onto itself to use,and will give you the best indicator of how your battery is doing with-out breaking the bank to purchase.

Naw.

In the Upper Midwest, we got this thing called, WINTER.
As the temps start to drop, starter lag &/or Key turn to Engine Idling lag, is best ever indicator that it might be time to change the battery.

Being stranded, with a dead battery that needs changed, in 20 mph winds, temps well below Zero, teaches one to pay attention to that stuff, right quick.

There not many things more enjoyable than trying to find a wrench or socket, in piles of snow, in the dark, while your fingers are turning blue.
Unless it's your Wife catching you with her Sister.

Both can be, potentially, Life Threatening and may end, in Dismemberment.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Cold start? Seriously?
You just went there?

Maybe discuss why the SEC is the greatest College Football Conference, in America?
I ever get down to Texas , again, gonna be plucking me some tail feathers, I tell ya.
yep like -35f for 30 to 40 days in a row lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Naw.

As the temps start to drop, starter lag &/or Key turn to Engine Idling lag, is best ever indicator that it might be time to change the battery.

Being stranded, with a dead battery that needs changed, in 20 mph winds, temps well below Zero, teaches one to pay attention to that stuff, right quick.

There not many things more enjoyable than trying to find a wrench or socket, in piles of snow, in the dark, while your fingers are turning blue.

Keep going north to get up here,lol. We've been breaking cold records that are a 120 years old already this year,and more snow then i like shoveling.Winter isn't even here,and i'm already hating it :rolleyes: ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 6

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cold start? Seriously?
You just went there?

Senor, cold start volts refer to the volts that reads on the Battery at "rest", before being engaged.,. ie., not the ambient temp. U be funny, roflmao. FYI, I am not a Native Texan, trust me, spent way too many years in the NE and stationed on Northern Tier bases even where we plugged in vehicles, heated oil, heated battery blankets, etc, and BOIRD does not miss that one bit. Probably some tail feathers still out there somewhere on flightline, lmao.

Not a Longhorn fan either, nor Dallas, nor Houston. Big Blue and Yankees, hee hee.,. Lemme attach photo ref teams also, and I get "razzed" all the time on my choice of hats.

Just FTR, gonna be 29 F tomorrow morning, which is pretty cool for here, but hopefully we not see -5 F like in Feb 2021. Nothing built for that here. BOIRD had to go into closet and pull out his Parka for those days, lmao. Brrrrrrrrrrr, warm weather BOIRD, been in TX too long and acclimated, alas, story of the BOIRD.

Hats on Table.jpghoss hat.jpg

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep like -35f for 30 to 40 days in a row lol
Spent some time up in Goose Bay in the late 70's at a FOB. We literally had our flightline grid maps (they were mounted on sheets of plywood), in front of radiators trying to keep in some warmth for defrosters, that makes me shiver today.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep going north to get up here,lol. We've been breaking cold records that are a 120 years old already this year,and more snow then i like shoveling.Winter isn't even here,and i'm already hating it :rolleyes: ;)
Is that the global warming effect? Some things I do not miss, like shoveling cars out of snow drifts etc.,. When I was a young "turkey", we had to shovel the snow off of roofs, just too much weight. We never did climb down, just jumped into snow piles, hee hee. The things U remember.

ADDED: Got the opposite end of the spectrum here. HEAT cook them batteries fast too, weeks at over 100, and sometimes 105-110, neva taking AC out of MAX, AC in house running 23 hours a day, makes you the Favorite of the electric man, lol.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Naw.

Neva had the sister problem. One morning getting off of work, my "(Olds)" would not turn over. Confused, I thought, hmmm, WTF. Popped the hood and wala, all the snow had been sucked up into front of engine when I broke through a snow drift to get to airbase going to work. So found an OMS friend, got them to pull over a "ground heater", and melted out the snow. Good thing, or that car may have sat there till summer, hee hee.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Neva had the sister problem. One morning getting off of work, my "(Olds)" would not turn over. Confused, I thought, hmmm, WTF. Popped the hood and wala, all the snow had been sucked up into front of engine when I broke through a snow drift to get to airbase going to work. So found an OMS friend, got them to pull over a "ground heater", and melted out the snow. Good thing, or that car may have sat there till summer, hee hee.
Been there/done that a few times.Tow it to the local car wash and wash it,till it warms up enough to melt enough snow out from under the hood it'll start and the fan will turn again,lol

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been there/done that a few times.Tow it to the local car wash and wash it,till it warms up enough to melt enough snow out from under the hood it'll start again,lol
I tell U, walking out on the flightline at 30-40 below zero, with a gun slung over shoulder, ie., guarding resources, and the Windchill just so cold, that for the Young at Heart. Still got my "shorty" parka, that be the one I referring to in a post prior.

Last edited: