Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So just hours after saying to my friend that I have like 15 miles left on my drivetrain warranty my truck wouldnt start. Figured I left something on so I boosted and ran it for a few then tried again and dead, boosted a second time and then realized check engine light on just as I was pulling into my driveway with now 60036 miles LOL. Code was P1DF3 "ecu not initialized" in the transmission codes.
I was thinking something bigger was going on but after changing the toasted battery and three starts of the engine, the code and light are gone.
I tried searching the internet high and low and I never found anything about it. Just figured I'd let you all know.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I would still scan it again and do a voltage reading on the battery !
Even new batteries go bad . A cell can go bad. Stuff is not made like it used to be lol
Also a dead battery will not fully charge by driving, but a charger like you did !
Hope all is well now !

OP
OP
Outdoors76

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll scan again but im thinking ecu could not initialize because of the dead battery. with a load test the battery went from 12.5 to 8 in three seconds so it was toast.
no issue since replacing battery. i was very surprised that i didnt find posts by anyone else on this issue.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not uncommon for a battery to die before 4 or 5 years and 60,000 miles.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'll scan again but im thinking ecu could not initialize because of the dead battery. with a load test the battery went from 12.5 to 8 in three seconds so it was toast.
no issue since replacing battery. i was very surprised that i didnt find posts by anyone else on this issue.
From all I have read her low voltage can cause all sort of weird things to our RAMS. Glad all seems OK Thanks for the Update