Dead cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JessJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Try disconnecting the batteries for 5 min

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The suggestion to pull both and have them load tested is spot on. Unless you have had a failure somewhere in the system that is causing a draw when the truck is shut down, the batteries are bad. No way such new batteries should be down to 30%.

What was the static voltage when you checked them? Even if they will spin the engine properly, if the amperage isn't what it should be due to a dead or weak cell it wont run. New vehicles are very sensitive to battery voltage and amperage.

I agree with the others, either you have bad batteries (and if so all the charging you can do wont help) or you have a draw somewhere that discharged them significantly. Problem is, once a battery gets too deeply discharged it typically wont hold a full charge agsin. Good luck, please let us know how you make out with the load test.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Since you have a Cummins, with BOTH batteries disconnected, does the terminals arc alot when you reconnect the batteries? The grid heater solenoid/relay can get stuck causing a draw.

OP
OP
S

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:
Truck has been fixed for a month now, no issues so far. SouthTexan was right, it was a rodent of some sort. Went right for the electrical jugular, the wiring compartment under the fuse box. Dealer performed a factory approved repair. Sorry for the slow feedback with the solution. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone have a recommendation on good rodent deterrence? I put a couple of mothballs in that compartment for now but would like something more permanent.

Thanks

DIMford

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Cummins Diesel
Anyone have a recommendation on good rodent deterrence? I put a couple of mothballs in that compartment for now but would like something more permanent.

Thanks
I had a similar issue on the wife's car. Sprinkling some peppermint oil in the engine compartment once a month seems to deter them from entering the engine and wires.