Dead cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

My 2016 2500 6.7 did not start this morning. Engine started for a spit second and shut back down. Stored messages on dash are Park Sense Unavailable and Service Airbags.
I went and rented a code reader and there 8 trouble codes. P0882, p0341, p0087, p0541, p0254, p0750, u0290 and u0001. None of them will clear.
Truck was running great when I parked yesterday. Had new fuel and oil filters 2wks ago and they sold me on using BG 245 diesel system cleaner when I was in. Probably have close to 1000mile since all that.
Other strange things I noticed, hvac fan not working, can’t hear fuel pump and horn doesn’t sound when locking with Fob.
I’m at a loss with so many codes..
Truck has 72k on it and I have the extended warranty but can’t get in till January.. crazy, I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Scott

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hello,

My 2016 2500 6.7 did not start this morning. Engine started for a spit second and shut back down. Stored messages on dash are Park Sense Unavailable and Service Airbags.
I went and rented a code reader and there 8 trouble codes. P0882, p0341, p0087, p0541, p0254, p0750, u0290 and u0001. None of them will clear.
Truck was running great when I parked yesterday. Had new fuel and oil filters 2wks ago and they sold me on using BG 245 diesel system cleaner when I was in. Probably have close to 1000mile since all that.
Other strange things I noticed, hvac fan not working, can’t hear fuel pump and horn doesn’t sound when locking with Fob.
I’m at a loss with so many codes..
Truck has 72k on it and I have the extended warranty but can’t get in till January.. crazy, I know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Scott
Have you been here to see what the codes are (in case the reader you rented didn't define them): https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

This seems like it's going to turn out to be a computer thing, not mechanical issues.

OP
OP
S

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I did, sorry for not adding that info.

P0882- tcm power input signal low.
P0341- camshaft sensor A, bank A
P0087- fuel rail/system pressure too low
P0541- intake air heater A circuit low
P0254- injection pump metering control A high
P0750- shift solenoid A
U0290- lost comms with NOX sensor A
U0001- high speed CAN comms Bus

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I'm gonna move this thread to the 4th Gen Heavy Duty area, you might get more views.

OP
OP
S

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, truck turns over and starts for a split second still. Although it’s cranking longer now to get that split second start.

Thank you Rule18 for moving it to the right area. Newb mistake

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Will the truck turn over at all now? Are you on the original batteries? If I had to take a wild guess it would be your batteries.

If the batteries are low, electronics start doing weird sh*t when they are starved for power.

A shorted cell would definately drag the power down a bit. I've even seen bad connections at the battery itself prevent the battery from recharging.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I hope you get it sorted out.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, truck turns over and starts for a split second still. Although it’s cranking longer now to get that split second start.

Thank you Rule18 for moving it to the right area. Newb mistake

Well shoot, was hoping for a simple fix for you. Those are unusual codes to have all at once that's why I'm thinking a power issue? I would check all your power and grounds just to illuminate those.

OP
OP
S

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s the batteries
It very well could be. When I replaced them in the spring the symptoms were entirely different. I dismissed the batteries as being a problem because they were newish. A few other commented about possibly being the batteries so I just hooked up the charger and it was at 30% on the meter. Still charging so we’ll see.

OP
OP
S

Scots

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Charging overnight did not work.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I'd yank the batteries out and run them to an auto parts store that can load test them. Less than a year old they should still have some type of warranty left. Hard to check the alternator output with a volt meter if it won't stay running, but that's be my next test.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I hate electrical problems.

Something similar happened to my ATV a few winters ago. Started for a split second and then turned off with a bunch of codes. I stored it in a barn and it ended up being field mice chewing through some of the wires. Luckily it was an ATV and I did not have that long to trace where the wires were bad. Not saying this is your issue, but it may be something to think about if the truck is stored outside.

odinjunior

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure sounds like batteries.

Your post brings up a question. What good is the Warranty if the truck is out of service because it can't be seen?

vjjack04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes, I think the folks saying batteries are correct. Even though it turns over, batteries could still be a little on the low side.

VIZ28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with SouthTexan, I think you have been visited by rats.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tough part is some of these codes occur for many things. I wish it were easier but it isn’t. Look up each code and see if you can narrow down to a couple things. Eliminate the easy stuff. Batteries you are working on, fuel how cold is it I didn’t check where you live do you have additive in there? Running number 1, has it been cold enough to gel up. Since it is a turbo with an actuator that is never out of the question as they are known to fail at times all over the board. If they fail in the wrong position I think it can do that.

I see you are in Oregon so I am guessing it isn’t cold enough to gel up so disregard that if it hasn’t been below freezing for awhile that is a none issue.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sure seems like the batteries as I read the fob deal again. Problem is it can be a lot of things so without diagnosing hard to say. I think the battery test at the store is a good idea. I have had ones with a bad cell before and they were pretty much crap right away when that happened.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
might post this question at turbodieselregister
lots of knowledge over there too - never hurts to have more brains on something...
best of luck
cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963