Dead engine replacement through warrany, should I accept remanufacterd replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPancho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
About a month ago my engine started loosing coolant. My regular dealer insisted that I had to replace the radiator, intercooler and other related parts including the AC condenser. I chose to wait for a second opinion, while I waited for my other mechanic I swapped the coolant reservoir cap. The cap was supposed to hold 21psi however it did not. After changing the cap I drove about 50-60 miles and a low oil pressure light came on. I stopped the vehicle checked my fluid levels and everything was good including the coolant level which had not dropped any more. Drove maybe 4-5 more miles with no lights on the dashboard, the oil pressure light was off. Then the low coolant level indicator came on followed by the low oil pressure light and a loud banging clunking sound. The engine gave up. The engine was checked by the nearest ram dealer and now they say the engine has ceased and needs to be replaced. So far they are saying it will be done under power train warranty. They say a remanufactured engine will be installed.

My question for the community is, should I agree to have a remanufactured engine installed or do I have options?
Are there any tips about what I should be watching for during and after the repairs?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As mentioned above I doubt you will have choice under warranty, but with the way they remanufacture engines now it will basically be as good as a new crate motor. Can't imagine they would use some fly by night shop to reman an engine that will be under warranty.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let them do their job. Warranty is their replacement. You have no choice. A new Cummings engine is a new Cummings engine anywhere you get one.

Sorry, that happened.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be patient. Read up on anything related to the process. Ask a few pointed questions as needed. Be respectful and humble to the service people. A few glitches may come up being the result of a big process like an engine swap.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I guess I'm of a different view and opinion. The're is no way on this earth would i ever accept a reman motor, especially under warranty. Yes these remanufactured motors are rebuilt very well but I wouldn't accept anything less then a brand new crate motor. Especially since a dealership had looked at it before it blew. Hopefully you have Lots of time on your hands to fight this out and get a hold of higher ups in the cdjr food chain. You also have to think if you accept a reman is not just about its 5 year warranty but what about there after when its all on you , will the reman last the same as the crate or have issues years earlier or possibly no issues with either but it shouldn't be your problem to gamble even 1% since its not your fault. I'm a fighter of what's right and i personally wouldn't settle for anything less then crate

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reman is the standard across all manufacturers. A few years ago my buddy had an ecoboost replaced under warranty. He demanded new vs rebuilt. They made him a deal and got him a new crate motor but it was a $3000 up charge. Typically s goof reman is hand built and many times bad original parts are replaced with new designs. I would have no issues with a reman unless it came from autozone.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
My problem with a reman is if I spend $85k+ on a vehicle and theres a parts failure that's covered under warranty then I don't want an $85k truck with a re built motor when I bought a truck with a new crate motor. It might be a dog fight with cdjr but that would be a time consuming journey I'd embark on. You more then likely will never have any issue with the reman but that's not what you bought, you bought a new vehicle with a new motor that was defective. Anything less then new would be unacceptable to me, but I've got nothing but time and standing for whats right in me and i know not everyone has that luxury so I can understand the differences of opinion

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As long as the rebuilt engine is rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder, i would not have an issue with it.
A new rebuilt will come with its own warranty.

someone mentioned places such as Autozone, well those auto parts stores buy their rebuilt engines through Evergreen, which would be just about my last choice of rebuilders

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My problem with a reman is if I spend $85k+ on a vehicle and theres a parts failure that's covered under warranty then I don't want an $85k truck with a re built motor
Not sure what the price of the truck has to do with it.

Think this out, if your truck's engine fails to the point it is a candidate for an engine replacement, fixing the original engine or replacing it, you will have the same result, a re-built motor.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's see, I started with a used engine, blew it up (I am actually surprised that they didn't fight him on it, since he drove it knowing that it was leaking coolant), and they are offering me a rebuilt used engine.
So I would go from a used engine with XXXX miles on it, to a freshly rebuilt engine with 0 miles on it - for free or small deductible.

I would accept that deal.

If rebuilt correctly, a rebuilt engine can be better than new. The block is already stress relieved and any bore/hone should stay truer longer.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Not sure what the price of the truck has to do with it.

Think this out, if your truck's engine fails to the point it is a candidate for an engine replacement, fixing the original engine or replacing it, you will have the same result, a re-built motor.
My point with the 85k is when your paying a premium high price tag for any automobile you should recieve a premium service and experience . Plus if it's under waranty the last thing I'd expect on a new vehicle woud be to recieve rebuilt parts when I bought a vehicle with all new parts. Theres no way I'm going to personally spend a large amount on a vehicle and knowing that if a major part fails that I'm going to recieve a non brand new part. It's kind of like if a crate motor and a reman are equal in quality then why is it cheaper to buy a reman, because even the manufacturers understand that the quality isn't the same . I understand my high level of expectation isn't necessarily for everyone but like i said I've got plenty of time to stand up for what i believe is only right.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remans are less expensive because you already have an engine to start with.
That and the thinking of "new" vs. "rebuilt" - people but a premium on new. Though it isn't always of a superior quality.

The price gets closer if a core is required.
Many of the core parts that will be reused already have all of the machining done, holes drilled and tapped, etc.
All of this adds to the cost of new vs. reman.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
You realistically don't have a choice, the powertrain warranty explicitly states, in writing, they can use exchange parts. Sure you can probably lawyer up and try to fight it, with no guarantee except costs in time and money.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good news! You can get a “new” create motor, just buy it yourself. If your going though warranty, your gonna get what they give you.

It’s just the way it works. You could just spend another $85k and buy another truck.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow . I bet warranty states you get a rebuilt . Everyone’s so entitled these days , l want , l won’t , I must .

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After thinking about some more.

Op, you deserve a new truck! Stand your ground and tell them I don’t want a new create motor, I want a new truck! Then explain how you deserve a new truck.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I don't think the OP is feeling entitled, he just asked a question looking for opinions. As always on these forums, you'll get both good and bad advice.

CliffordK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the difference between pulling your old engine and repairing it (rebuilding), and taking someone else's blown engine, rebuilding it, and putting it back in your vehicle?

Likely your old engine will get rebuilt.

The biggest difference is just time.

As far as new crate vs reman. There is probably little difference, although you may have had cylinders bored, and crankshafts machined. You could even gain a couple of HP. But, say you put 10 more years on the engine and choose to get it rebuilt in a decade. Then prior machining could put constraints on future work.

It won't be your problem if you sell it before that time.