Dead engine replacement through warrany, should I accept remanufacterd replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My point with the 85k is when your paying a premium high price tag for any automobile you should recieve a premium service and experience . Plus if it's under waranty the last thing I'd expect on a new vehicle woud be to recieve rebuilt parts when I bought a vehicle with all new parts. Theres no way I'm going to personally spend a large amount on a vehicle and knowing that if a major part fails that I'm going to recieve a non brand new part. It's kind of like if a crate motor and a reman are equal in quality then why is it cheaper to buy a reman, because even the manufacturers understand that the quality isn't the same . I understand my high level of expectation isn't necessarily for everyone but like i said I've got plenty of time to stand up for what i believe is only right.
Even if you are successful I believe it's called a Pyrrhic victory as you will be without the truck for months and there is a large chance that either you won't be able to recover all your expenses or even have a significant chance of winning your case.

I'm 79 yo and long retired with unlimited hours to devote to any cause I deem worthy but this is a hill I would never climb as the reward vs downside is to great. But in any case, if/when you decide to pursue a joust with a windmill, good luck

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
Even if you are successful I believe it's called a Pyrrhic victory as you will be without the truck for months and there is a large chance that either you won't be able to recover all your expenses or even have a significant chance of winning your case.

I'm 79 yo and long retired with unlimited hours to devote to any cause I deem worthy but this is a hill I would never climb as the reward vs downside is to great. But in any case, if/when you decide to pursue a joust with a windmill, good luck
well I hope beyond all hopes that I never have to replace an engine or transmition before or after warranty

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would be thinking just who rebuilt the engine

Was it rebuilt by a reputable engine rebuilder, or from some half as*ed company like Evergreen

The big difference between a rebuilt & crate engine, is how far the engine is Bored out to

If it is just honed out, is one thing
If it is bored .10 or .20 Over, it still has at least one rebuild left in it.
If it was Bored .30 over, it can not be Bored out again

Another thing is what company supplied the bearings & inserts, they can be manufactured with too much tolerance built in :(

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As long as the warranty remains you are fine either way.

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
someone mentioned places such as Autozone, well those auto parts stores buy their rebuilt engines through Evergreen, which would be just about my last choice of rebuilders

I agree 1000%

OP
OP
P

PaPancho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
Well, thank you every one for the replies. I fo not at all feel entitled in fact I just wanted to know other peoples opinion on the matter. I can see both points of view. After the day of this post I received an interesting call from the service department saying that "my claim was in fact denied" the dealer didn't have access to all my oil changes records and I had to provide those. Waiting on a review again.

lobo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 c.i.
A friend bought a Chevy truck with the 5 cyl. engine and it blew up at 38,000 miles. GM after 3 months, replaced with a remanufactured engine that originally had over 100,000 miles on it. That was years ago and it is still running fine. You can ask for a crate engine but I doubt you will get one.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to agree . You spend 60-80k on a truck . Warranty engine,trans,or diff. Should be new replacement . They have crate engines for that reason. Not just for retro modding a old vehicle . Now if it was purchased used at a small dealer , I would expect a reman. It’s more than likely the dealers choice on what they give the customer. And reman is cheaper. Thats why $$$. Go over the dealer to the manufacturer . You’ll most likely get a new crate engine

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
I have to agree . You spend 60-80k on a truck . Warranty engine,trans,or diff. Should be new replacement . They have crate engines for that reason. Not just for retro modding a old vehicle . Now if it was purchased used at a small dealer , I would expect a reman. It’s more than likely the dealers choice on what they give the customer. And reman is cheaper. Thats why $$$. Go over the dealer to the manufacturer . You’ll most likely get a new crate engine
Agreed

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a retired service manager I would thank my lucky stars if they okd a reman. I had too many times where they wanted us, the dealer, to rebuild in house.

Kertusca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Depending on the engine type. Having a new engine available is the issue. Just replaced my 6.4l engine in my ram 3500. Dealer told me they were on back order. Said they could a get a remanufactured faster .
I made a few phone calls and located couple new engines at a distribution center and notified my dealership. Engine was transferred to their dealership and flown in by ups and installed in my truck. No arguments or hassles .

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As a retired service manager I would thank my lucky stars if they okd a reman. I had too many times where they wanted us, the dealer, to rebuild in house.
i to worked at a dealer for about 10yrs as a tech and seen lots of things ! i have seen then do create eng and rebuilt same as trans! i have also see them replace vehicles as well but that's way way out of the ordinary !! one time a customer brought his brand new car in for oil change we had a new guy on the lube rack and in the parts department as well ! what happened is that the lube guy went to parts dept requested the oil the was preset buy parts dept VIA pumped to lube rack hose which should be set to 5.0ltrs to be pumped in but new guy in parts did not set for that he just started pump lube guy pulled lube pump trigger and walked away to do other service on car ! came back oil stopped pulled out pump nozzle put cap on oil spout tried to start car no start just a clunk of starter engage thats it long story shortened car came to found oil to spark plug holes told cust what happened offered reman they refused offered crate refused dealership owner ended up ordered new car upgraded package and gave it to him ! it was a Mustang he bought a Numbers match car that did not have a wrench laid on it reman or create no longer numbers match he was also a Lawyer ! it also took him 3Months of fighting with company plus order time for new car True story!

Dannycameo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My problem with a reman is if I spend $85k+ on a vehicle and theres a parts failure that's covered under warranty then I don't want an $85k truck with a re built motor when I bought a truck with a new crate motor. It might be a dog fight with cdjr but that would be a time consuming journey I'd embark on. You more then likely will never have any issue with the reman but that's not what you bought, you bought a new vehicle with a new motor that was defective. Anything less then new would be unacceptable to me, but I've got nothing but time and standing for whats right in me and i know not everyone has that luxury so I can understand the differences of opinion
I completely agree! Nnock on wood yet I just spent the same as you mentioned almost 90000 In Canadian, for a 22 loaded power wagon. If that 6.4 Blue up there is no way I would accept a remand. I don't care what the dealer or FCA said. At first.
As mentioned you take the time and go up the chain, Also as mentioned what happens when the warranty is over and you have a reman?
It is not the same as the brand new engine that you purchased.
It is your right to have the exact same motor put in. That you paid for in the 1st place!

Compu-Doc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well, thank you every one for the replies. I fo not at all feel entitled in fact I just wanted to know other peoples opinion on the matter. I can see both points of view. After the day of this post I received an interesting call from the service department saying that "my claim was in fact denied" the dealer didn't have access to all my oil changes records and I had to provide those. Waiting on a review again.
So I do all my own oil changes and minor services but keep a log of mileage and dates when it was done. Could they still deny a warranty claim because I do the work myself and not the dealership or Mr Lube?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
So I do all my own oil changes and minor services but keep a log of mileage and dates when it was done. Could they still deny a warranty claim because I do the work myself and not the dealership or Mr Lube?

My self do to injuries spend the $50 to have a dealer install my oil & filter this way there is a FCA paper trail with time, date, mileage of service thus no arguments to if it was done or not, doing it your self you never know when a receipt can or will get lost or become unreadable...

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure what the price of the truck has to do with it.

Think this out, if your truck's engine fails to the point it is a candidate for an engine replacement, fixing the original engine or replacing it, you will have the same result, a re-built motor.
It's all going to be in the fine print of the warranty documents. What the documents say is what they p4omised and are bound by...not what we may want. Guess I'll go read that fine print so I'll be prepared, just in case.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So all of you have no problem with getting your trucks fixed with rebuilt parts?
Radios, A/C, window motors, brake cylinders...

terb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
steam
So all of you have no problem with getting your trucks fixed with rebuilt parts?
Radios, A/C, window motors, brake cylinders...
When I buy new, I always ask them to pull the new motor and put in a reman motor before i will drive it off the lot...saves lots of mental anguish in the future!!

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
limited 2022 6.7… if my engine blows tomorrow, I would fully expect a new crate engine..

call it whatever you want, but that dog won’t hunt. Nothing about that is being entitled. You paid for it, now give the product that was paid for.