Dealer added Remote Start but Uconnect app does not show it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel; 2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
I purchased a 2020 Rebel, which did not have the remote start at the time of the purchase. The dealer added the remote start unit 3 weeks later. However, I noticed the UConnect app does not show the remote start was added.

Has anyone else ran into this problem ?

I spoke with Ram and they said it needed to be added during the build. This just doesn’t seem like the correct answer.

You would think if it is the factory OEM remote start unit, UConnect should be able to recognize it.

I noticed on my service report, the technician’s notes stated that dealer connect was updated to show the remote start was added to the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 2020 Rebel, which did not have the remote start at the time of the purchase. The dealer added the remote start unit 3 weeks later. However, I noticed the UConnect app does not show the remote start was added.

I spoke with Ram and they said it needed to be added during the build. This just doesn’t seem like the correct answer.

You would think if it is the factory OEM remote start unit, UConnect should be able to recognize it.

I noticed on my service report, the technician’s notes stated that dealer connect was updated to show the remote start was added to the truck.

Dealer connect is not the same as uconnect. They updated Rams record of your truck so if the bcm configuration ever needs to be refreshed, remote start will now come back down to the truck.

Honestly not sure what uconnect/xm guardian does in cases like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Thanks @chrisbh17. I would have thought by updating the dealer connect system, it would have triggered an update to the guardian system.

When I spoke with XM Guardian, they told me I needed to call Ram. I called Ram and was told to call Guardian. Finally, I was put on hold and was then told it needed to be done at the time of the build.

I hear what they are both saying, but this is really a software configuration.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Did they replace your fob with one that has the remote start button or are you required to do something like press lock 3 times to start it remotely?

As a final negotiation when I bought my wife's Jeep (new, from a Jeep dealership), I said throw in remote start and we have a deal. They did, but it's as I mentioned above which shows that it's truly not the same as the OEM version. The more I thought about it, it made sense - they'd have to replace the fobs as well for it to be truly OEM and they are not cheap.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Did they replace your fob with one that has the remote start button or are you required to do something like press lock 3 times to start it remotely?

Yes. I was given new keys with the remote start on the fob. So now, i have four keys. Two that have the remote start option and the original two.

It is definitely the factory option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

If your truck was not built at the factory with the remote start option, then Uconnect (guardian) will not allow the remote start feature to be added to the phone app. They just refuse to do it, no matter how hard anybody has tried, or what the dealer tells you.
When the dealer installs the factory remote start, they update your VIN through dealer connect to reflect that it is a “dealer installed option”.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
If your truck was not built at the factory with the remote start option, then Uconnect (guardian) will not allow the remote start feature to be added to the phone app. They just refuse to do it, no matter how hard anybody has tried, or what the dealer tells you.

Yep. That is what I am learning. Seems ridiculous. I am going to keep pursuing this with guardian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow every day new things pop up about how FCA does business. why would they not put it on the app for the phone it was dealer installed. which they always brake everyone's balls about bla bla its not dealer installed,we all must of got that story

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
When the dealer installs the factory remote start, they update your VIN through dealer connect to reflect that it is a “dealer installed option”.
Same scenario as the 4th gens. Ran into this when dealer installed remote start on my 13 ram when I had it.

M² Mods.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
I learned a little more about this today. I spoke with FCA and they directed me to Guardian. Guardian said when the vehicle is manufactured the telematics unit lists the capabilities. I was told the telematics unit needs to be updated with the new capability. Since this was added by the dealer. Guardian said the dealer needs to open a STAR ticket to have the telematics unit updated. I am going to give this a shot.

Has anyone done any "hacking" with the telematics units firmware to see what capabilities it lists and if there is a way to add a new capability ? Just wondering if it is something that could be done with AlphaOBD versus having to go to the dealer.

I am going to speak with the dealer and see if they can open a STAR ticket to get this resolved.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
UPDATE: I spoke with the dealer. The dealer said when they do the installation of a factory OEM remote start, the telematics unit is updated with the new capabilities. The dealer has offered to speak with Guardian and FCA to see why the capability is not being passed to Guardian and the UConnect app.

Once I hear back from the dealer, I will post what they find out.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Subbing.

I'm new and only have tradesman. Is the unit plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Is the unit plug and play?

Sorta...You need to have power locks. The dealer had to install a new RF unit, run the necessary wire harness, and add a hood sensor. Once that was done, they had to replace the keys and program them to work with the truck. They also updated my old keys.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Subbing.

I'm new and only have tradesman. Is the unit plug and play?

Since you’re showing 6.4 hemi in your signature, I’m assuming you have a 2019+ HD ram? If so, you’re going to be different than JCAP above. Your RF Hub is already capable of remote start, and you *should* already have the correct hood latch. Look and see if there’s a connector plugged into the hood latch. It’s hard to see as it’s under a cover. If it’s there, you should be set. You can buy this fob- https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-integrated-key-fob-transmitter-68375457ac
It has the remote start button AND the remote tailgate release button. You would just need to take it to the dealer and have them add sales code XBM for the remote start, and JKR sales code for remote tailgate release, and program the fob. This should all be about an hour labor charge at the dealer.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
It has the remote start button AND the remote tailgate release button. You would just need to take it to the dealer and have them add sales code XBM for the remote start, and JKR sales code for remote tailgate release, and program the fob.

@Jimmy07, if I were to purchase that FOB and add the JKR sales code, do you think my Rebel could use the remote tailgate release ? I have the Multi-function tailgate on my truck.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@Jimmy07, if I were to purchase that FOB and add the JKR sales code, do you think my Rebel could use the remote tailgate release ? I have the Multi-function tailgate on my truck.

Not that fob because it’s for a 2500, but yes, the correct fob for a 1500 5th gen with the button and the sales code, and it will work. Keep in mind, if you don’t have the tailgate damper, you should get it. Otherwise, you’ll have a big surprise when you press the release button and the tailgate slams down.

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Not that fob because it’s for a 2500, but yes, the correct fob for a 1500 5th gen with the button and the sales code, and it will work. Keep in mind, if you don’t have the tailgate damper, you should get it. Otherwise, you’ll have a big surprise when you press the release button and the tailgate slams down.

Ok. Perfect. I do have the damper. Thanks for the info.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Since you’re showing 6.4 hemi in your signature, I’m assuming you have a 2019+ HD ram? If so, you’re going to be different than JCAP above. Your RF Hub is already capable of remote start, and you *should* already have the correct hood latch. Look and see if there’s a connector plugged into the hood latch. It’s hard to see as it’s under a cover. If it’s there, you should be set. You can buy this fob- https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-integrated-key-fob-transmitter-68375457ac
It has the remote start button AND the remote tailgate release button. You would just need to take it to the dealer and have them add sales code XBM for the remote start, and JKR sales code for remote tailgate release, and program the fob. This should all be about an hour labor charge at the dealer.

You are right. I'm new to the forum. I am just under 2 weeks of ownership of my old stock 2019 2500. I will certainly look at it tonight. That would be a cheap and clean way to add remote start. Well worth it because I intend to keep this truck 15+ years.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
UPDATE: I spoke with the dealer. The dealer said when they do the installation of a factory OEM remote start, the telematics unit is updated with the new capabilities. The dealer has offered to speak with Guardian and FCA to see why the capability is not being passed to Guardian and the UConnect app.

Once I hear back from the dealer, I will post what they find out.

Hi JCAP,
We'd like to look into this a bit further for you to see if we can provide you with any more information. Please send us a private message with your VIN at your earliest convenience.

Lydia
RamCares

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Sorta...You need to have power locks. The dealer had to install a new RF unit, run the necessary wire harness, and add a hood sensor. Once that was done, they had to replace the keys and program them to work with the truck. They also updated my old keys.

If the dealer told you all that they're lying... All it took to add remote start AND remote tailgate release to my 2019 TRADESMAN was the appropriate key and a software change to tell the truck, yes, you can use these functions.

Last edited: