Dealer blowing smoke on my build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_Jayco_living

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7HO
I ordered a new 2022 3500 limited mega cab back in early October. The dealer called me last week and said “good news, your order changed to D status”. I asked what that meant and he said “it left the factory, should be here in about a week”. Well a week has come and gone. I can’t get any answers from him, and a quick search here says D status means they’re checking inventory to start the build. I have a VIN but it doesn’t populate on the site they sent with it. How can I get some answers? What’s the typical timeline right now?

OP
OP
Ram_Jayco_living

Ram_Jayco_living

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7HO
No worries. Thanks for trying. I can provide the full VIN too if it helps

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Full VIN just gives a description of what you ordered
The last 6 numerals mostly give the sequential order

The VINs first 3 identifiers of a Ram 1500 going to an owner in the USA, would be

1C6

1 being Stellantis
C being United States
6 being Truck

whatever the 4th Letter is, tells about Hydraulic Brakes, vehicle weight & seat belts & air bags

Positions 5-7: RAM, series, Drive Wheels, assembly plant MI USA ,Cab/Body Type, Drive Position, and Trim Level

i messed up, but you get the general idea

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1C6

1 being Stellantis
C being United States
6 being Truck

I thought the 1 was for United states? Unless they changed that, but the regular cabs that I've had that were made in Mexico started with 3 whereas my last 2 crew cabs made in the U.S. started with 1.

randyr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
My dealer stated "D" means it is a Dealer build, for the dealer's lot--The #1 means it takes priority over the dealers builds and yours gets built before the dealer's lot stock trucks. There is also a delay in paint as I was informed, they only paint 10 trucks the same color at a time, never less, so you may have to wait until you fall into the 10 truck (pick a color) category. My truck took 5 weeks to build and is out for delivery - shipped 11/26--I was also told one week.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
My dealer stated "D" means it is a Dealer build, for the dealer's lot--The #1 means it takes priority over the dealers builds and yours gets built before the dealer's lot stock trucks. There is also a delay in paint as I was informed, they only paint 10 trucks the same color at a time, never less, so you may have to wait until you fall into the 10 truck (pick a color) category. My truck took 5 weeks to build and is out for delivery - shipped 11/26--I was also told one week.
I have ordered several Chrysler 300s and Rams,before Covid. Some got to me relatively quickly, a couple of them set at the delivery point where the train dropped them off. Once the leave the factory, it is pretty much out of the mfg/dealers hands.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Shipped 11/26? You've either been waiting an awfully long time since it was shipped, or you have a typo there LOL.

Also, it's my understanding that D status means they are gathering parts for the build, and D1 status means they have all the parts and are starting the build. I can't say for sure since I've never ordered a new vehicle, but that's what I've read on multiple forums (including this one).

Found this after a quick search...

Stage 1
BA: New order that hasn't been checked, this is the status when the order is first put in. Only the dealer knows about it
BB: Review by fleet department, the order is now being processed.
BD: Special equipment processing. This is where things like snow plow prep etc get checked. Special items.
BE: Edit error
BG: Passed edit n/a for schedule. This is where the order can sit and wait for things like low volume paint where there needs to be x number or similar orders
BGL: Edit ok parts unavailable
BX: Passed edit available for schedule

Stage 2
C: Sub firm - Tentative schedule Now the factory knows about the order.

Stage 3
D: Firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available
D1: Gateline schedule - scheduled to be built

Stage 4
E: Frame
F: Paint
G: Trim
I: Built not ok'd
J: Built ok'd
JB: Shipped to Upfit Center
JE: Emission check
JS: Shipped to storage

Stage 5
KZ: Released by plant , invoiced
KZL: Released - not shipped
KZM: First rail departure
KZN: First rail arrival
KZO: Delayed/recieved
KZOA: Plant holds
KZOB: Zone/distribution holds
KZOC: Carrier delays
KZOD: Carrier holds
KZOE: Mis-shipped vehicle
KZOF: Show/test vehicle
KZOG: Damaged vehicle
KZOH: All other reasons
KZT: Second rail departure
KZU: Second rail arrival
KZX: Delivered to dealer

Stage Canceled
ZA: Canceled, the dealer or you have canceled the order

Last edited:

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, it's my understanding that D status means they are gathering parts for the build, and D1 status means they have all the parts and are starting the build. I can't say for sure since I've never ordered a new vehicle, but that's what I've read on multiple forums (including this one).

You're correct on the D and D1 status definitions, D1 means parts are gathered and you have a scheduled build date. To confirm hitting D1, your dealer can print off an updated POC which will show the current status on the top of the page.

DIMford

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Cummins Diesel
Shipped 11/26? You've either been waiting an awfully long time since it was shipped, or you have a typo there LOL.

Found this after a quick search...

Stage 1
BA: New order that hasn't been checked, this is the status when the order is first put in. Only the dealer knows about it
BB: Review by fleet department, the order is now being processed.
BD: Special equipment processing. This is where things like snow plow prep etc get checked. Special items.
BE: Edit error
BG: Passed edit n/a for schedule. This is where the order can sit and wait for things like low volume paint where there needs to be x number or similar orders
BGL: Edit ok parts unavailable
BX: Passed edit available for schedule

Stage 2
C: Sub firm - Tentative schedule Now the factory knows about the order.

Stage 3
D: Firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available
D1: Gateline schedule - scheduled to be built

Stage 4
E: Frame
F: Paint
G: Trim
I: Built not ok'd
J: Built ok'd
JB: Shipped to Upfit Center
JE: Emission check
JS: Shipped to storage

Stage 5
KZ: Released by plant , invoiced
KZL: Released - not shipped
KZM: First rail departure
KZN: First rail arrival
KZO: Delayed/recieved
KZOA: Plant holds
KZOB: Zone/distribution holds
KZOC: Carrier delays
KZOD: Carrier holds
KZOE: Mis-shipped vehicle
KZOF: Show/test vehicle
KZOG: Damaged vehicle
KZOH: All other reasons
KZT: Second rail departure
KZU: Second rail arrival
KZX: Delivered to dealer

Stage Canceled
ZA: Canceled, the dealer or you have canceled the order

Does anyone know where we can look up this status?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know where we can look up this status?

You can get your dealer to give you a POC anywhere along the line, and that will have the current build status code shown there. Otherwise once it's being built you can see the build sheet here:

And after vendor install/shipping date is given the window sticker will be available here:

drossday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
D is a good build order. Space is allocated in the production run for 2022 and a VIN# is assigned. D1 means it has a production date scheduled so all the parts are on hand. At this point RAM has given it a birthdate and assuming nothing goes wrong, that will be the date framing starts. The next is D2 which means your date is upon them. E means framing has started so its on the line now. At this point it should go very quickly to I and then J at which point you can get your full build sheet.
What you want to see next is J which is its done and then KZ. Three weeks typically from KZM...what you never want to see is KZY which means something really bad happened to it in transit. At which point its a start over kinda thing. Yikes!
(Mine was ordered on 9/4/21 and just moved to D1 last week on the 25th of January...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
First image is a P.O.C.

Check the bottom of the POC for BUILD PRIORITY

It is 99, that means that it is being built for a Customer

1643791477344.png

This is page 1 of a build sheet from 2009

1643790930606.png

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I can't seem to get any data either. I've copied my VIN below, curious if you can see results that I can't. I still get no record found even though I have a VIN.

1C6SRFMT0NN249230

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf