Dealer "can't figure out" these codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
New (used) 2015 RAM 2500 Cummins 4x4 long bed (yay me). Over 70k miles.

First night home, check engine light comes on.

FAULT: 05 PEND: 02

P2228 01/07
P1193 02/07
P0102 05/07

Light not on next morning when I start it. Drive around all day. No light. Seemingly no performance problems. Drive for an hour through small hills, neighborhoods, highway, etc. No light.

Go on a 3 mile drive after it's cooled off and light comes on again.

Take to dealer, they can't reproduce. Light won't come on. Finally, a week later, they say they got "some codes" but don't know how to fix them. Great sign, right?

I've read and read on these codes and it could be anything from cheap fix (dirty sensor) to I-don't-wanna-think-about-it.

Anyone have similar codes a 2500 diesel w/ similar mileage?

OP
OP
J

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Checked the air filter just in case.

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 2.57.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 2.57.51 PM.png

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since all of those codes are related to sensors on top of the air box, my guess is that something damaged the harness going to those sensors, especially since they are all circuit codes, I would start with a good inspection of that harness.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Checked the air filter just in case.

Time for new Air filter as a minimum

1Capture.JPG 2Capture.JPG

Cannot find the last 1

Does the cummings have the wire that plugs into the MAP/MAF sensor on the air inlet tube past the box??? Just thinking out loud but I do not know much on Cummings Diesel

Last edited:

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just went out and looked at mine, the harness for those sensors goes down besides the alternator and joins into a larger harness. I guess its possible that you have 2 bad sensors, but my first guess is that the harness got damaged since you have codes for sensors that share the same wire harness.

here is a diagram if you need it

https://ibb.co/cCGcKrS

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That air filter looks TERRIBLE. Have you run the truck with a new filter? I know furnaces much better than trucks but can tell you a filter like that can wreak all kinds of havoc on an HVAC system in a house including the thing cycling on/off and throwing error codes. I wouldn't do another thing until you put a fresh filter in and run it for a while (if you haven't).

OP
OP
J

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
That air filter looks TERRIBLE. Have you run the truck with a new filter? I know furnaces much better than trucks but can tell you a filter like that can wreak all kinds of havoc on an HVAC system in a house including the thing cycling on/off and throwing error codes. I wouldn't do another thing until you put a fresh filter in and run it for a while (if you haven't).

I have not replaced the air filter yet. It has been at the dealership since the 19th except for the few hours I had it to myself. They alternate between not knowing what's wrong and just letting it sit in line for the tech to look at it.

OP
OP
J

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just went out and looked at mine, the harness for those sensors goes down besides the alternator and joins into a larger harness. I guess its possible that you have 2 bad sensors, but my first guess is that the harness got damaged since you have codes for sensors that share the same wire harness.

here is a diagram if you need it

https://ibb.co/cCGcKrS

Thank you! This is beyond my skill level at this time.

OP
OP
J

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Since all of those codes are related to sensors on top of the air box, my guess is that something damaged the harness going to those sensors, especially since they are all circuit codes, I would start with a good inspection of that harness.

Thank you. If the dealership does not know how to fix it, I will keep an eye on the miles per gallon I'm getting and will inspect this harness.

OP
OP
J

jdksla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Talked to mechanic today and he says it's the turbo actuator. Not sure if it needs replaced or just cleaned. Anyway, nice that someone finally took a look at the thing.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Talked to mechanic today and he says it's the turbo actuator. Not sure if it needs replaced or just cleaned. Anyway, nice that someone finally took a look at the thing.
Did you get everything fixed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01