Dealer damaged my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion especially when all the facts are not put forth , but a combination of opinions and smart ass comments and creating a new story line as to how everything happened is just fu .

Let me see if I can clarify the facts .
On a Monday i took the truck in for warranty repair , dealership damaged the truck , I had a trip planned in our rv on thursday , the body guy said he would have it fixed in 3 days and he did , return from trip , I went to the dealership and talked to the GM asking how was this going to be resolved , he said you need to talk to the owner , ok can I see him or have his number and he said " he's like the *** no one can talk to him " I will give him your number and he will call you , a few days latter he called me and after hello and name asked me all kinds of questions , where I buy all my trucks , how do I buy them , why I never bought from him , do I know these VIP in my industry because he does , and then he started making comments about my morals all during this I asked him numerous times to just discuss the issue of my truck which he would not , after over a hour of him talking I
said " I see 3 solutions , 1 replace the truck , 2 pay me the loss value , 3 hear from my lawyer .
there was no discussion , no talking about what or how to do it , no saying yes or no it anything , his last statement was let me see what I can do and I will call you back , he called me back 4 hours latter and said "I told you I would call you back , let me see what I can do" Click .
2 weeks later , nothing from him so I was close to one of his biggest dealerships and told the receptionist who I was , Oh he's not here , the GM was busy and couldn't talk to me , so I leave , and the owner calls me in 5 mins , says he will REPLACE my truck and what options would I accept in place of what I had ( gear ratio,color,air susp,bed length) my truck has what I want and do not want to change anything , another week has gone by with nothing from him .
I would be be open to several possible solutions , me keep the truck as is with a guarantee to repair or repaint if needed and pay me for diminished value
or me order a new truck to replace mine with the least out of pocket expense and I see that as , the highest value for my truck , the new truck at true dealer cost + the holdback with no other fees .

im sure someone will disagree with what I said and offer their own opinion on how everything happened , or what the out come will be

View attachment 211657
Yeah that’s a **** poor repair job. I can see it on my phone with sunglasses on how bad it doesn’t match. So I know it looks like hot garbage in person. You dropped off a mint condition truck and they think that’s what you should accept after something of their own fault?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that’s a **** poor repair job. I can see it on my phone with sunglasses on how bad it doesn’t match. So I know it looks like hot garbage in person. You dropped off a mint condition truck and they think that’s what you should accept after something of their own fault?
Looking at it on my computer, it looks like the rear door is off in color compared to the rest of the truck, but the OP shows the front door being damaged. The pic a few posts above, from my computer anyway, the front door looks to match everything except the rear door.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at it on my computer, it looks like the rear door is off in color compared to the rest of the truck, but the OP shows the front door being damaged. The pic a few posts above, from my computer anyway, the front door looks to match everything except the rear door.
What I see is a front door along with fender that don’t match the truck.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What I see is a front door along with fender that don’t match the truck.
I circled a few areas. The top of the door matches with the roof line of the truck. And the door matches with the rear fender. The odd color to my eye is the back door. I concede that it could be shadowing and optical illusion on the rear fender making it look like it matches the front door, but to my eye, that's what I see. and the top of the door is pretty much perfect match with the roof.

truck.png

That's not to say anything about it looking to be out of alignment (the trim piece just below the window does not line up with the one on the back door and the gap is bigger toward the bottom of the door than the top).

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I circled a few areas. The top of the door matches with the roof line of the truck. And the door matches with the rear fender. The odd color to my eye is the back door. I concede that it could be shadowing and optical illusion on the rear fender making it look like it matches the front door, but to my eye, that's what I see. and the top of the door is pretty much perfect match with the roof.

View attachment 211677

That's not to say anything about it looking to be out of alignment (the trim piece just below the window does not line up with the one on the back door and the gap is bigger toward the bottom of the door than the top).
Your two circles to the left are both of the door itself so they will match.
And you’re right the reason the rear fender looks similar is because of the drastic difference in angles due to the fact it flares out for the dual rear wheels.

The Best indicator will be looking at panels facing the light the same way and the rear door perfectly matches the mega cab extension (which is bc both are still factory paint).

That front door and fender need to be blended in a lot better than they were and I’d raise a stink if any body panels or trim/molding are off.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your two circles to the left are both of the door itself so they will match.
And you’re right the reason the rear fender looks similar is because of the drastic difference in angles due to the fact it flares out for the dual rear wheels.

The Best indicator will be looking at panels facing the light the same way and the rear door perfectly matches the mega cab extension (which is bc both are still factory paint).

That front door and fender need to be blended in a lot better than they were and I’d raise a stink if any body panels or trim/molding are off.

I’m sure it looks different in person. The top part I circled is the door which was repainted and the roof which presumably was not. In the picture, the look to match spot on. I only circled the middle of the door as a comparison to the fender.

either way, the paint should match the factory paint, and I would not be inclined to even take possession of the truck until it did. But to ask for a new truck plus absurd.

OP
OP
master logger

master logger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't mention the difference in the reflection , the rear door is like looking in a mirror , I can read the writing on my shirt standing 10 feet away ,, but the front door is distorted to the point that the color blue can barely be seen ..

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion especially when all the facts are not put forth , but a combination of opinions and smart ass comments and creating a new story line as to how everything happened is just fu .

Let me see if I can clarify the facts .
On a Monday i took the truck in for warranty repair , dealership damaged the truck , I had a trip planned in our rv on thursday , the body guy said he would have it fixed in 3 days and he did , return from trip , I went to the dealership and talked to the GM asking how was this going to be resolved , he said you need to talk to the owner , ok can I see him or have his number and he said " he's like the *** no one can talk to him " I will give him your number and he will call you , a few days latter he called me and after hello and name asked me all kinds of questions , where I buy all my trucks , how do I buy them , why I never bought from him , do I know these VIP in my industry because he does , and then he started making comments about my morals all during this I asked him numerous times to just discuss the issue of my truck which he would not , after over a hour of him talking I
said " I see 3 solutions , 1 replace the truck , 2 pay me the loss value , 3 hear from my lawyer .
there was no discussion , no talking about what or how to do it , no saying yes or no it anything , his last statement was let me see what I can do and I will call you back , he called me back 4 hours latter and said "I told you I would call you back , let me see what I can do" Click .
2 weeks later , nothing from him so I was close to one of his biggest dealerships and told the receptionist who I was , Oh he's not here , the GM was busy and couldn't talk to me , so I leave , and the owner calls me in 5 mins , says he will REPLACE my truck and what options would I accept in place of what I had ( gear ratio,color,air susp,bed length) my truck has what I want and do not want to change anything , another week has gone by with nothing from him .
I would be be open to several possible solutions , me keep the truck as is with a guarantee to repair or repaint if needed and pay me for diminished value
or me order a new truck to replace mine with the least out of pocket expense and I see that as , the highest value for my truck , the new truck at true dealer cost + the holdback with no other fees .

im sure someone will disagree with what I said and offer their own opinion on how everything happened , or what the out come will be

View attachment 211657

That sounds fair. He's a fool for not taking you up on it.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I didn't mention the difference in the reflection , the rear door is like looking in a mirror , I can read the writing on my shirt standing 10 feet away ,, but the front door is distorted to the point that the color blue can barely be seen ..

Others may consider this derailing but I think you will get it.
Did you have any of the Mega Cab vibration issues on your truck?

Because if your didn't and the dealer "replaces" yours with another '18, whose to say you get one that doesn't vibrate.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Others may consider this derailing but I think you will get it.
Did you have any of the Mega Cab vibration issues on your truck?

Because if your didn't and the dealer "replaces" yours with another '18, whose to say you get one that doesn't vibrate.

VINs are like finger prints and swapping the tag from one truck to another is highly illegal. But then again, dealerships’ gonna do what dealerships’ gonna do.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow, that is one crappy paint job! I hope the owner delivers on his promise for you.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
VINs are like finger prints and swapping the tag from one truck to another is highly illegal. But then again, dealerships’ gonna do what dealerships’ gonna do.

??????

Talking about an issue that affects some Mega Cabs. Some have a vibration issue.

Would be bad for OP to have dealer find him an identical '18 replacement only to trade his bad body work for a truck that vibrates.

OP
OP
master logger

master logger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well I got a call from the owner today !
He found a new 2018 , just sitting on a dealer lot , the only one close to mine in the USA . its a Limited tungsten edition !!!
I guess I can give up my black and cattle tan interior ,, but it must pass my DW's approval first .

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
An accident is an accident and just because it happened at the dealership does not mean you win the "I Get A New Truck" lottery or have right to any other special consideration. It is a insurance claim issue at best and would be the same situation had it been at a independent shop having other work.

Also, FCA is not going to touch the issue with a 10 foot pole regardless that it was in for warranty work.

Your options for repair satisfaction will be the same as any other insurance claim and repair. One caveat in these situations is dealerships have the ability to self insure repairs on their own dime and keep off their shop insurance to keep their rates from going up. If you did not file a claim with your insurance when it happen to keep them in the loop, you kind of loose the ability to have any subrogation from your insurance company after the fact that repairs have been completed.

Last edited:

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
An accident is an accident and just because it happened at the dealership does not mean you win the "I Get A New Truck" lottery or have right to any other special consideration. It is a insurance claim issue at best and would be the same situation had it been at a independent shop having other work.

Also, FCA is not going to touch the issue with a 10 foot pole regardless that it was in for warranty work.

Your options for repair satisfaction will be the same as any other insurance claim and repair. One caveat in these situations is dealerships have the ability to self insure repairs on their own dime and keep off their shop insurance to keep their rates from going up. If you did not file a claim with your insurance when it happen to keep them in the loop, you kind of loose the ability to have any subrogation from your insurance company after the fact that repairs have been completed.
Actually it looks like he will win the lottery...this time[emoji2] But wait...maybe his DW will say she hates it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
she doesn't like the idea of NO chrome and the all black interior , but she said ok
It kind of reminds me of my daughter, who's a teacher, having to transfer to a school that is further away then her current one as she is low teacher on the totem pole as it were and they are cutting back. But strong teachers unions in Canada. Her job is guaranteed and in spite of the challenges of Covid 19, she's getting all her pay and working.

I lost my career of 33 yrs in good part due to the great recession in 2009 & lost my last job in May due to Covid cutbacks. So I said to lovely daughter the same thing I said to people in 2009. Be happy, you have a job. So be happy DW..you have a new truck!!![emoji2]

Glad it worked out for in spite of the debates here. Tough spot to be in. I hadn't really weighed in here but read everything. While I acknowledge maybe my opinion doesn't match reality sometimes, but I lean into the same expectation of other businesses as I did in my career. I would anything I could to fix an issue with a customer...and always "under promise but over deliver".

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
she doesn't like the idea of NO chrome and the all black interior , but she said ok
If it does away with those ugly purse flaps on the back of the front seats, it'd be a worthy upgrade! Glad to hear they found a truck for you.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it does away with those ugly purse flaps on the back of the front seats, it'd be a worthy upgrade! Glad to hear they found a truck for you.

I just tuck those into the bottom part (into the pocket), looks much better! Also had a very slight, but annoying rattle from one of mine, solved that problem too, two birds stoned at once you might say.

Glad OP got his issue resolved in a satisfactory manner, we all know that's often not the case, right or wrong.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
well I got a call from the owner today !
He found a new 2018 , just sitting on a dealer lot , the only one close to mine in the USA . its a Limited tungsten edition !!!
I guess I can give up my black and cattle tan interior ,, but it must pass my DW's approval first .

Make sure you test drive it up to about 75mph for a descent distance to check for vibration.