Dealer discounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I own a 16 ram 2500 longhorn. When I purchased new from a local dealer that gave me $13k off sticker really without even haggling.. they asked what it would take to drive home the truck that day and I said how about $13k off and the salesman said I’ll go ask my manager. 30-45 seconds later he said I’ll put it in detail for you congrats. Today, I’d love to trade it in for a new 3500 longhorn dually loaded up with all the safety features I desire and the air ride rear suspension. I’m new to the forum and honestly not very tech savvy at these “forum” style websites- I was able to search and found that don Jackson during “peak” season will offer 20-22% off.. that’s quite ideal for me considering when I used the build/price tool on ram.com the truck was nearly $86k.

My question, historically just when is the “peak” season for dealer rebates and incentives to utilize that 20-22% off. Granted I do understand that the 19 just came out a few months back and if I have to wait a year and a half that’s really no big deal but... historically I didn’t know if anyone had any information that could help me or has personally dealt with a dealership such a don Jackson that gave such a hefty discount.

OP
OP

16Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
XPOSTED in 5th gen forum as well... not sure if that’s allowed. Sorry in advance if not just asking for help. I own a 16 ram 2500 longhorn. When I purchased new from a local dealer that gave me $13k off sticker really without even haggling.. they asked what it would take to drive home the truck that day and I said how about $13k off and the salesman said I’ll go ask my manager. 30-45 seconds later he said I’ll put it in detail for you congrats. Today, I’d love to trade it in for a new 3500 longhorn dually loaded up with all the safety features I desire and the air ride rear suspension. I’m new to the forum and honestly not very tech savvy at these “forum” style websites- I was able to search and found that don Jackson during “peak” season will offer 20-22% off.. that’s quite ideal for me considering when I used the build/price tool on ram.com the truck was nearly $86k.

My question, historically just when is the “peak” season for dealer rebates and incentives to utilize that 20-22% off. Granted I do understand that the 19 just came out a few months back and if I have to wait a year and a half that’s really no big deal but... historically I didn’t know if anyone had any information that could help me or has personally dealt with a dealership such a don Jackson that gave such a hefty discount.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
The firesale deals are usually end of year or beginning of year since they are stocked with 2x years on their lots.

I got 33% off in Feb on my truck, if i waited like 1 more month or so some people got 35%.

Mine was a 17 purchased in 2/18 as a 17 leftover

Also FYI this is just like TV sales, someone will ALWAYS post up with a better deal, just work your own deal be happy with the payments and dont compare - or look and get mad everytime.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are planning on getting a 4th Gen, I'm guessing you can get a great deal. Not sure the amount off, but the 5th Gen would be difficult to get a huge deal, as they are brand new.

It looks like at dealers around me they are showing $6-9k off the 4th Gen. The 5th Gen's are only showing $1 - 2k off.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Like FXCLM5, I got my 2018 Ram in February 2019 at about 35% off. I pushed hard. managed to get some at cost deals and made the business manager sweat to get me 2.5% off the going finance rate, but in terms of the price budging further wasn't going to happen.

My theory is the best time to get a good price, WITH THE BEST SELECTION is the fall the before when the new model year vehicles come out. I've bought then and have gotten good deals with good choice. Buying in February and looking everywhere in 3 cities for new Rams, there was quite a few Sports, Laramies Limiteds if you had the money, to choose from. But there was only 3 Express, SXT, ST type trim trucks available. Options wasn't the issue for me so much as choice of colours would have been preferred. It was black, Delmonico red and white. lol. But I'm thinking I probably did 10% or so better on the price buying when I did. For 5K more in savings, I can live with my colour:)

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$13K off doesn't really mean anything on a trade-in deal. Its called the shell game.

If you're keeping your eye on the sale price of the new car, they can shuffle profit to other shells like your trade-in, financing, or fluff fee add-ons and end up with the same profit margin.

I always ask for "out the door" price after trade-in taxes and fees, and then don't waste their time and thank them and shop all the dealers in the area to beat that being upfront that you're just shopping price for a vehicle with the important options you want circled on a build printout.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
My local dealer has constantly advertising 10-13k off 5th gens. But they are like loaded ,60k trucks

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i try to avoid tradeins. they complicate the process and unless you have to sell it through a dealer or it has to be repaired first, they usually mess with you on price cause used vehicles are their big profit center along with service. here's a good example maybe of an exception

daughter had a high mileage 2011 Mazda 3. clearcoat messed up all over the hood, badly cracked windshield. if mint, would have been worth 3500-4000.
we negotiated the final selling price on the Escape she bought before we brought up her trade. I told them 2500 bucks for the trade in on top of negotiated price and we are customers. they took it.

My daughter had said but Dad, you are good at selling and buying cars. Can't you sell it for more? I said first, you want me to sell it, part it at my place, show a bunch of cheap tire kickers looking to lowball anyway your car, you have to take out another insurance policy and plate temporarily, and I doubt it you want to buy a new windshield or pay a body shop to fix the damage. In one fell swoop, we got rid of the headache of your old vehicle, you don't need to look back or worry about anything but enjoying your new ride.

she liked my thinking:)

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the first things a salesperson will ask you is if you have a trade. I always respond to that by saying you want to sell me a new car and I'm here to buy a new car, lets talk about that. If the salesperson is stuck on doing the script he was taught I just thank them for their time and leave.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I picked up my 2018 in May 2019. The sticker had it at 56k. They offered it for 53k; I got it for $48,000 "out the door," tax, tags, doc fees, etc. I'll let someone smarter figure out the percentage. I then worked my trade in....and then worked the interest rate...and then refinanced through my bank and saved another 1% on the loan.

I always look at buying a new truck as three completely different things. Cost of the new truck. Trade value. Loan rates and lengths of loan. I'm always ready to walk if either of the three are not to my liking. I found it online on their website, went in and did a demo ride, worked everything else out over the phone/email. When I drove into the dealership to close the deal, I drove off the lot with my new truck in less than an hour.

Aces and 8s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar 3.6L
Always check for factory incentives onlin . Then double ask and checm for even more in person. Then further negotiate down from there :)

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just picked up a loaded up 19 Rebel for $15k off the $60k and change MSRP and extremely happy with that deal. They had all their 1500s marked down $12k or better. Not sure if any of that helps you looking at 3500s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Probably now, June-July-Aug...new trucks and cars generally come in Sept-Oct

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I looked at a new 2018 2500 6.4 Laramie before I bought this one. It stickered at $63k. It said online 'Web price $48k'. The best they would do for me was $53k and they were on the low end on my trade. They argued the 'Web price' was after rebates, which I didn't qualify for most. I wasn't happy with them even before that so just told them no deal and left. They refused to budge from there. This was late April this year

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I saw a ad last night for 20% off msrp on rams right now.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Just remember, the rebates you get are from RAM (FCA) not the dealer. Dealers want you to think they already gave you $XX,*** off because of the rebates and they already “cut you a deal”. Those are the same rebates you would get from any RAM dealer down the road too. But they want you to think they can’t go any lower because they gave $XX,*** in rebates and would lose money. I tell them they haven’t given anything as I can get those rebates at any RAM dealer.

Last edited: