Dealer does not lube driveshaft on 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just purchased a used ram 2500 from my local dealer and asked if they lube the driveshaft and they said no they do not. How bad is this?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do it yourself , or find competent mechanics shop to work with.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Do it yourself. Though it is not nearly as crucial as pre 13. 14+ driveshaft does not turn unless engaged. I do mine every couple oil changes.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Everytime I take mine in for the normal servicing I specifically tell them too. They do it 75% of the time. There's a couple of the mechanics that know exactly what to do and where to find the little fitting.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have a 2500 so I don't know but do the u-joints even have grease fittings in them? There's a lot of stuff that come as "non serviceable" nowadays

OP
OP
Rockit

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes it has one but its not a zerk fitting it the needle type and the hole is very small and hard to find but yes the HD's have them

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I doubt that they would know how to work on a 4X4 front differential over in the Dealership's Express Lane, i think that they are more like a high school training facility

They will not check the level in my rear differential & it has a dipstick in it

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
people now days refuse to do any maintenace no matter how small the job. alot of folks cant even be bothered to look at the oil dipstick every few months. let alone getting a smidge of grease on their precious hands from one measly zerk. why do you think truck makers eliminated 99% of all maintenance points on the vehicle. its a "drive thru and let someone else do the job" type of world now.
its a needle style zerk. its easy to find and easy to grease with the lincoln needle. needs only one or two pumps. any more than that spooges out the back making a mess. its true the shaft doesnt turn until 4x4 is engaged so theres no need to routinely grease it if 4x4 has not been engaged since last greasing

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^Crazy Jerry isn't so crazy. He's right on!

I want to see pics of the new truck. I'm totally jelly,btw

8SpdHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealers don't grease the front drives hafthor cuz they want you to spend $2500 on a new one. At work we have ram 3500 and we grease the front driveshaft every oil change, once you find the little fitting its easy!!

Cheers, keep it greasy lol.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I just purchased a used ram 2500 from my local dealer and asked if they lube the driveshaft and they said no they do not. How bad is this?
They should have if they added a "reconditioning fee" to sale price. OM say's lube every oil change. Easy to check if previous owner did, crawl under and find the fitting on the cardan joint. If it's clean and only covered with surface rust and no obvious grease spatter around surrounding areas, then likely never greased. Easy DIY, need appropriate tip and a pistol grip gun or a powered one, with a long extension hose. A lever pump gun is awkward, while trying to hold the needle tip on fitting

any4xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same here.

I bought my ‘14 2500 from a friend about 6 months ago with 96k miles on it. It had been serviced right on schedule at any of four different JCDR dealerships. One of my early discoveries was that the front U-joint had never been greased. It took me several tries to get the grease gun needle to seat, and once I got it seated it took A LOT of grease.

Last edited: