Dealer flash pcm????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just curious if anyone has some experience dealing with installing a new pcm and having to get the dealer to flash it for proper functionality??

My 2012 Ram 5.7 started sending all kinds of random error codes, which turned out to be from a bad pcm. (Broken pins, got soaking wet) I got my hands on a new one from the same year and model and had the vin set. But it’s not communicating properly and I’m being told by a few people that the truck needs to go to the dealership and be reprogrammed. I’m fixing to have it towed and spend the 100 dollars + to have them flash it. I wanted to check here and make sure this is necessary or if I’m overlooking something. I do all the work on the truck myself and it kills me to hand it over to the dealership of all people. But electric control units are not my strong suite. Just curious if anyone has dealt with this or has something worth mentioning

Thanks for any help offered.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
You have to take the truck and new ECM to the dealer who will install it and program it to your VIN #. I had it done once, dealer charged me 60.00