Dealer forced oil change packages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KDT1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought my 0 mile, 2020 Ram new for my wife to drive. as of now only has 20000 miles on it so its due for oil change #2. So I call the dealer to set it up and they tell me my 3 oil changes that they forced me to buy are expired. this is such BS.

Story on oil changes;
When I bought the truck, they (Ken Garff West Valley in Utah) automatically added in 3 oil changes at 99.00. I told them to take it off because I do my own changes. They then proceed to say they can take it off but the price of the truck WILL increase by the 99.00, because its a courtesy that they take off 99 dollars so the oil changes can be added on. So I said that's was crap, but whatever.
So ya they have expired because I don't drive the truck enough for them.
I don't fall for the whole "oil goes bad after a few month of limited driving" especially with synthetic oils.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WOW Some of those packages are just a hook you for $$$
And have a time frame of 2 years to use up
I did that for awhile but was my choice and not figured into the sale price ! That IMO is BS on their part

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Never trust dealer oil changes first of all lol .... and if you do decide to get your oil changes done at a dealership, mark the oil filter before you take it and check the oil after you get it back ... they don't always change the oil I can say that from experience lol ...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I don't think I'd complain much. It's common recommended practice to change oil at the mileage interval or once a year, whichever comes first.
Now that you admitted you did not change the oil atleast once a year, I wouldn't be surprised if next they tell you your remaining engine warranty (if any) will be void due to improper recommended maintenance.
Nothing lasts for ever. Even the "free" $99 oil changes.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my 2014 they threw in some oil changes. On one visit, they said my brakes needed changing, and I said I'll take a look at them when I get home. Not only were they fine, I got 2 more years out of the pads!

OP
OP
K

KDT1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think I'd complain much. It's common recommended practice to change oil at the mileage interval or once a year, whichever comes first.
Now that you admitted you did not change the oil at least once a year, I wouldn't be surprised if next they tell you your remaining engine warranty (if any) will be void due to improper recommended maintenance.
Nothing lasts for ever. Even the "free" $99 oil changes.
Its technically the 3rd oil change that is due because I don't count the 1st change at when the engine break in is complete.
The vehicle was bought in July 2020 so we are technically only at 2 years and 2 months

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Its technically the 3rd oil change that is due because I don't count the 1st change at when the engine break in is complete.
The vehicle was bought in July 2020 so we are technically only at 2 years and 2 months

I assumed it being a 2020 you got it sometime in 2019. But with what you said above I'd say they owe you atleast 1 oil change. Ok, now I'm mad too.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I've never been interested in the dealership oil changes! You never know who is doing it, how long they let it drain, and as others mentioned, whether they even do it. Plus, I want to pick my own oil and filter brand. If you can't or don't want to do it yourself you are so much better off taking it to your mechanic and having him drain it for a longer period, and use your chosen oil and filter brands!!!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Did this dealer also make you pick which cup the ball was under after he shuffled them around on his desk?
I would've said keep the truck, walked away, and guarantee they would chase after you and your money.
Nobody can be 'forced to buy' unless at gunpoint.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could get that package for $99 I drive 20k miles a year those packages online are $175 for 3

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As horrible as living in NY state can be, I don't think there's a auto dealer in the state that has the balls to pull a mandatory $99 oil change add-on.

I can't believe the stuff other states pull and people go for it. I would have walked, just out of principle.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Mopar oil packages ALL have an expiration date on them.

How do I know? I purchased a 16 pack for an unbelievable low price years ago for my Dakota and due to not driving as much had to cram in 1 a month for 3 months in the end to use them up lol.

Read your paperwork.

At least they were upfront with you and said you had the option to drop the package. Sure the price of the truck wouldn't have changed, but you always have the option of walking out of the door if you don't like the deal.

Owners manual says 10kmiles OR 1 year which ever comes first - minimum. They can and will void the engine warranty if either are exceeded so be careful.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i bought my 2016 Eco-diesel
I bought an Extended Warranty, i think it was something like a 6 year plan
i also bought 10 free synthetic oil changes, that included oil filters
every second oil change, it would be right at the time for a Fuel Filter, that i would have to purchase.

Normally, if i had not taken Ill, i would have put at least 8,000 miles per month & that would use every one of those services.
As it turned out, i did use 8 of the oil changes & the last one the engine only had 2,100 miles on it.
I still have the Extended warranty until January 15th.

I have not had to pay for any repairs so far
There have been several Recalls, with very limited down time.

I am ahead of the Game so far

2009 Dodge Ram Hemi, owned until June 2016, Extended Warranty used 3 times. Minus $300. Plus cost of the Plan.
Bought my own Motor Oil & Oil Filter, paid dealership $28 to change it & keep the records.

2016 Ram Eco-diesel, Extended warranty used 0 times

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When I bought my 2020 Limited with Ecodiesel I found out three oil changes were included in the package at no charge. I know I didn't pay extra as I got the truck about $12 Grand under MSRP. It was good for 24 months and had no problem getting that done as the truck is only 20 months old and I have 38,000 miles on it. I checked into the Mopar website and found that I could get prepaid oil changes, 3 in a package good for 24 months for $340, tax included. With the cost of an oil change on the Ecodiesel being north of $175 I decided to take advantage. I have no problem with a reputable dealer doing my oil changes because if any issues arise from technician error the truck goes back to that dealer. I have a good relationship with the dealer and the service advisors so I know I will have recourse if there are any issues with workmanship.

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I bought my 0 mile, 2020 Ram new for my wife to drive. as of now only has 20000 miles on it so its due for oil change #2. So I call the dealer to set it up and they tell me my 3 oil changes that they forced me to buy are expired. this is such BS.

Story on oil changes;
When I bought the truck, they (Ken Garff West Valley in Utah) automatically added in 3 oil changes at 99.00. I told them to take it off because I do my own changes. They then proceed to say they can take it off but the price of the truck WILL increase by the 99.00, because its a courtesy that they take off 99 dollars so the oil changes can be added on. So I said that's was crap, but whatever.
I don't fall for the whole "oil goes bad after a few month of limited driving" especially with synthetic oils.
Almost ten thousand miles on an oil change is a little high, even if you are going with the truck's oil life monitor system. But if you didn't exceed the truck's OLM notifications the warranty will not be effected. If you did ignore the OLM system notifications, the warranty will not be voided unless they can prove it has an oil related issue. If I knew that I had bought three oil changes that had an expiration date, I would request the oil changes based on time and not the mileage. $33 for an oil change is a decent deal.
I used to refuse to let anyone change the oil in my vehicles, but we bought a one year old Nissan that had two remaining oil changes that the previous owners had paid for. I let the dealer change the oil. It's recorded on the vehicles record and if the dealer messes it up, they can give us a loaner and fix the mistake. It's just an oil change.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Story on oil changes;
You should of told them to take it off or you arent buying it. They wont lose a deal over $100. I never go to the dealer for an oil change.
My Daughter has a Camry but got it used at a Honda dealer. Came with 2 free oil changes. I took it the first time, and the guy tried to tell me the air filter was dirty and showed it to me at his desk. Said its on sale for $69.....for an air filter lol.

I said hell no and the kicker was it wasnt even the right filter for the car, it was some dirty filter he keeps up front to sell it to others. I checked the filter myself and it was like new condition. I only take my cars to the dealers for warranty work ONLY.

Last edited:

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi

Story on oil changes;
Hackensack Ford in NJ did the same. Said I was too late so I lost the free change. I said use the next coupon then, "Can't, you're too early." All dealers are jerk offs I think walking out sometimes is the thing to do.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Used to do my own changes but I'm gettin' lazy. Bought brand new Longhorn & every change is being done at the dealer. Why??? For proof of maintenace in case of any issues down the road they can't say I screwed up. Puts it all on the dealer not me!

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
they don't

Story on oil changes;

That's why they are called Stealerships.

seanclark1503

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
A friend of mine bought a 2007 new off the lot and paid dealer $600 for lifetime oil changes , a deal if you’re comfortable with that and it’s convenient for you to do it that way. No matter the shop these days , I’ll admit that I have trust issues with any and all mechanics these days. It is with good reason though. I can change my oil/filter , dispose of properly the waste and then get on with my day so much faster (and cheaper if I include the time saved) than scheduling and dropping off then picking up and inspecting all facets of the work. Plus I don’t want anyone touching any part of my truck, especially anything that has to do with the engine oil. I’ve had too many ‘things’ go wrong such as stripped threads/heads and damage to other systems that were disturbed by the lack of finesse and/or an over exuberance in the name of speed, not efficiency nor due diligence. I’m not a perfectionist by any means, but I know I take my time and take care of my rig as if it were my very own. Oh yeah , it is ! Plus, some, if not most of the mods might be quite beyond their realm. The last time I took my truck to the ‘stealership’ , tranny was slipping and both bands were in need of an adjustment. I was charged nearly $900 for having the honor of my truck in their shop and they didn’t even replace the filter, fluid nor gasket of the transmission. Thanks Ron Tonkin Dodge on McGloghlin . That was 10 years ago and I have never been back to any shop (except Aamco).